Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: bbbriggs]
      #6022484 - 08/13/13 09:16 AM

I wish I could have made it up there. Lots of people to meet and scopes to see and look through. Glad it worked out to your satisfaction. Sounds like it was a lot of fun once it quit raining.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Reged: 11/09/04

Loc: Antelope, Oregon
      #6024426 - 08/14/13 02:56 AM

My girlfriend and I arrived at OSP just after noon Thursday. We stayed through late Sunday morning. While the weather was nice and warm, albeit some clouds, during the day, it turned to cold and rainy. At one point during a passing T-storm, one flash of lightning happened VERY close to us...the flash and crack of thunder were simultaneous and it was very loud. Scared us both silly. The storm moved on with a little bit of rain. However, Friday night and Saturday night (especially the latter) rewarded those who were patient. We camped with our tent in a small grove of trees well beyond the 802 circle.

We had a great time and enjoyed a lot of the events and activities, checked out some of the vendors and met some great folks. I set up my 10" LX200 Classic and did some viewing with that, letting a couple of folks take a peek as well. We walked around and did some viewing through a few large diameter Dobs, taking a good look at some ATM creations and learned a few interesting things. Yes, my girlfriend now effectively has aperture fever.

Everyone was really nice and helpful. The restroom facilities were pretty clean. The shower truck was awesome. The food vendors were great. The events and activities were entertaining an interesting.

The ONLY negative-other than the transient rain and T-storms, was AT&T cell/data reception was practically non-existent except for a couple of spots well behind the shower truck. Friday morning's hike was nice and there was even a brief cougar sighting (uneventful) as well as an awesome near-full rainbow.

All in all a great experience with a little bit of everything. We'll definitely try to come back for next year's OSP.

hbanich
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/05

Loc: Portland, Oregon
      #6025546 - 08/14/13 04:53 PM

Not only come early and stay until the end if you can, but stay an extra night - Sunday 8/11 was the best full night at OSP in many years. The transparency, darkness and seeing were all excellent, plus the Perseid's put on a good show.

Actually, I got the darkest SQM readings I've ever measured at the OSP Sunday night - 21.85 was the darkest reading I've measured there since I began using the SQM. The seeing was excellent all week and Sunday night was no exception - hovering around 1 arc second all night. There's no subjective way to measure transparency that I know of but my personal bench mark is how easy the 6.4 magnitude star near Polaris is to see naked eye and how well M33 stands out naked eye. By both of these tests, plus the views through the eyepiece, showed that this was one of the all-time best nights at OSP.

That said, it was rough go at times through the previous week with variable wildfire smoke and then thunderstorms, but there was plenty of good observing too. Sunday night happened just in time to cement this as one of my most memorable Oregon Star Party's.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Reged: 11/09/04

Loc: Antelope, Oregon
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: hbanich]
      #6025576 - 08/14/13 05:08 PM

Quote:

Not only come early and stay until the end if you can, but stay an extra night - Sunday 8/11 was the best full night at OSP in many years. The transparency, darkness and seeing were all excellent, plus the Perseid's put on a good show.

Actually, I got the darkest SQM readings I've ever measured at the OSP Sunday night - 21.85 was the darkest reading I've measured there since I began using the SQM. The seeing was excellent all week and Sunday night was no exception - hovering around 1 arc second all night. There's no subjective way to measure transparency that I know of but my personal bench mark is how easy the 6.4 magnitude star near Polaris is to see naked eye and how well M33 stands out naked eye. By both of these tests, plus the views through the eyepiece, showed that this was one of the all-time best nights at OSP.

That said, it was rough go at times through the previous week with variable wildfire smoke and then thunderstorms, but there was plenty of good observing too. Sunday night happened just in time to cement this as one of my most memorable Oregon Star Party's.

We were debating on staying Sunday night but decided not to because we have a bunch of pets and one more day might've been too much for our neighbor taking care of them. Drat.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: mtnmedic]
      #6026034 - 08/14/13 09:38 PM

I hope to make it next year. The Brothers star party is in 3 weeks. Last Sunday night I was up at the local Southern Oregon Skywatchers summer observation site looking at stars and meteors. Not nearly as good as the OSP, but better than watching lame Sunday night TV.

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
      #6026947 - 08/15/13 11:23 AM

Thanks for the report, Howard.

I arrived early, on Wednesday, 7/31. I got to see all kinds of interesting weather, including a pretty good accumulation of hail over a full 30 minute period in the week before the start of OSP.

I did get in 4 nights of imaging under skies that were clear with good seeing, but with so-so transparency. With the forecast going into the closing weekend, I packed up the observatory tent and imaging stuff on Friday (8/9), but left the visual scopes out. I got a decent night of visual work on Friday between about 11pm, when it started clearing to the south, and 4:30am, when it started to get cloudy again.

Unfortunately, when I woke up Saturday morning, I was not feeling well. I knew that the forecast for Saturday night was a bit better than Friday, I thought about staying, but was feeling worse by the hour, so I left after the door prizes.

It sounds like I missed a really great night on Sunday. It's been a few years since I saw a really dark and transparent night at OSP.

Depending on whether they go with July or August next year, I will again be arriving early or staying late.

Bill Jensen
sage

Reged: 10/23/04

Loc: Springfield VA
      #6029942 - 08/16/13 09:37 PM

Howard, I agree, Sunday was one sweet night, up until 4:30 when the body gave out before the skies did. I think it was the best I have seen in terms of darkness in the 18 years I have attended. The rift overhead was amazing. Even the coyotes and the hoot owl seemed to agree!

Bill Jensen
sage

Reged: 10/23/04

Loc: Springfield VA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: mtnmedic]
      #6031722 - 08/17/13 08:45 PM

Quote:

The ONLY negative-other than the transient rain and T-storms, was AT&T cell/data reception was practically non-existent except for a couple of spots well behind the shower truck.

Michael, I used a Wilson brand cell phone booster that ran about $100 from Best Buy, and I was getting 3 or more bars on Verizon, and 3g internet service routinely using it. It sure may be worth a try when you return. Without the booster the connectivity was not that great, but the antenna/booster combo worked well.

John Rhodes
Vendor (Televue Rep)

Reged: 02/21/06

Loc: Torrance, CA.
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: Bill Jensen]
      #6036858 - 08/20/13 04:18 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

I " briefly " got reception...

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: John Rhodes]
      #6037061 - 08/20/13 06:15 PM

John....

Don't you go bringin that stuff to Arizona for the AASP in October.... (Oct 4-5)
(Edit Add) I'm talking about the lightning.... not the eyepieces....

Edited by dmdouglass (08/20/13 06:17 PM)

John Rhodes
Vendor (Televue Rep)

Reged: 02/21/06

Loc: Torrance, CA.
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #6037233 - 08/20/13 08:00 PM

Quote:

John....

Don't you go bringin that stuff to Arizona for the AASP in October.... (Oct 4-5)
(Edit Add) I'm talking about the lightning.... not the eyepieces....

I'd love to come back to AASP this year but I'll still be at Okie Tex on those dates

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: John Rhodes]
      #6046312 - 08/26/13 01:33 AM

Quote:

I " briefly " got reception...

Looks like I left at the right time... I was the Airstream right by you!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3779

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics