Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
Oregon Star Party 2013
      #5853899 - 05/11/13 02:19 PM

Registration appears to be open (I registered!). I am really excited about it this year; a good group of interesting speakers, the spectacular skies, a new trailer and better scope transport capabilities... I'm even looking forward to tripping over my first "Darnit" bush (of the year)!

Edited by WOBentley (05/12/13 08:36 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bbbriggs

Reged: 04/10/09

Loc: Graham WA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: WOBentley]
      #5854531 - 05/11/13 10:46 PM

Did my registration yesterday as well. Counting the days. I will be coming up on the Saturday before and will be there the whole week.

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: bbbriggs]
      #5859540 - 05/14/13 10:31 AM

I am looking forward to it and will also be arriving on the weekend ahead of the event.

-Wade

Mr. AH
journeyman

Reged: 02/20/13

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: WadeH237]
      #5868621 - 05/18/13 01:33 AM

Registration for the 2013 Oregon Star Party is now open at www.oregonstarparty.org. This year’s party will take place on August 6 to August 11 at Indian Trail Springs. We look forward to seeing you up there.

We have one major change this year, we would like to send out a big thanks to Mary’s Chuck Wagon who for many years served food to astronomers at the Oregon Star Party. Mary decided the trip up to Indian Trail Spring was too much and has decided to move on.

Our new caterer will be Jason Robertson’s Headwaters Café. For much of the year Headwaters resides in New Orleans catering to the motion picture industry and private clients. However for the months of July and August Headwaters heads north to Portland for the cooler weather. On a side note, Jason appeared this past January on Food Network’s Chopped. For more information on Headwaters Café go to www.headwaterscafe.com. This year’s Star Dinners are as follows:

Thursday Dinner

Beef brisket with red wine reduction
Garlic mashed potatoes w/gravy
Roasted carrots with soy and ginger
Green salad
Beverage

Friday Night

Lasagna w/Italian sausage & basil ragout
Broccoli with garlic and butter
Dinner rolls
Caesar salad
Beverage

Saturday Night

Meatloaf
Mexican corn salad w/jicama & red peppers
Roasted red potatoes
chips and salsa
Beverage

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: Mr. AH]
      #5869624 - 05/18/13 03:58 PM

Quote:

Registration for the 2013 Oregon Star Party is now open at www.oregonstarparty.org. This year’s party will take place on August 6 to August 11 at Indian Trail Springs. We look forward to seeing you up there.

We have one major change this year, we would like to send out a big thanks to Mary’s Chuck Wagon who for many years served food to astronomers at the Oregon Star Party. Mary decided the trip up to Indian Trail Spring was too much and has decided to move on.

Our new caterer will be Jason Robertson’s Headwaters Café. For much of the year Headwaters resides in New Orleans catering to the motion picture industry and private clients. However for the months of July and August Headwaters heads north to Portland for the cooler weather. On a side note, Jason appeared this past January on Food Network’s Chopped. For more information on Headwaters Café go to www.headwaterscafe.com. This year’s Star Dinners are as follows:

Thursday Dinner

Beef brisket with red wine reduction
Garlic mashed potatoes w/gravy
Roasted carrots with soy and ginger
Green salad
Beverage

Friday Night

Lasagna w/Italian sausage & basil ragout
Broccoli with garlic and butter
Dinner rolls
Caesar salad
Beverage

Saturday Night

Meatloaf
Mexican corn salad w/jicama & red peppers
Roasted red potatoes
chips and salsa
Beverage

That's it. I'm there. "Chopped" is one of my favorite shows. That tips the scales to Oregon from Table.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: Stacy]
      #5869642 - 05/18/13 04:05 PM

On such random axes do our lives revolve.

Uh, me too.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: Spaced]
      #5888087 - 05/27/13 11:17 PM

I've got the vacation time off to go. It seems to be more suited to RVers than to small tent campers. Hopefully I can get out there this summer.

BTW that link isn't working.
HTTP Error 400. The request hostname is invalid.

This one worked:
http://www.oregonstarparty.org/oregonstarparty/default.aspx

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #5889073 - 05/28/13 02:23 PM

Quote:

I've got the vacation time off to go. It seems to be more suited to RVers than to small tent campers. Hopefully I can get out there this summer.

This one worked:

Here are some camping tips for the site. OSP Camping Tips

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

#5889890 - 05/28/13 10:23 PM

Quote:

This one worked:

Lots of tent campers at OSP, including me the first year I went. Not a problem and actually the majority of participants the years I have been there were tent campers.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#5889949 - 05/28/13 10:59 PM

I've been scouting the camping sections lately. Looks like some space blanket solar shields for my tent and equipment will be important. Don't know if it's too windy for any of those dining canopies. Dust abatement is critical. Lots of dust mats around tent and scope. Found some good checklists online that I can edit for my use to get ready.

There's also the Brother's star party in early September SE of Bend, OR.

I'll be on a strict budget so no splurging on astro equipment or catered meals LOL.

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

#5891389 - 05/29/13 09:27 PM

You need to be careful with the dining tents. In general, they can stand up to the wind if you anchor them sufficiently (You need to use some kind of weights. The ground is too rocky and dry to drive tent spikes sufficiently to do the job. If you have some buckets, there are plenty of rocks to fill them for weight.)

The issue is dust devils. A few years ago, we had one well anchored down so that it could not go anywhere. Still, it took a direct hit from a dust devil that collapsed it and destroyed the frame.

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/21/08

Loc: Coupeville, WA
      #5891805 - 05/30/13 04:52 AM

Last year a dust devil destroyed an awning attached to a motor home and another knocked over a Porta Potty. It came out of nowhere & was gone quickly, but leaving havoc in its wake.

DarkSkys
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/10

Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern ...
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: Dragonwatcher]
      #5893516 - 05/31/13 01:18 AM

I took the whole week off. Can't wait to go, it's going to be my first OSP.

Astroman305
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/19/04

Loc: Lake Oswego, OR
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: DarkSkys]
      #5899081 - 06/03/13 06:38 AM

I wont be making it this year.. I'll be out of town with family.
I hope the weather is perfect during the week!

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Reged: 11/09/04

Loc: Antelope, Oregon
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: Astroman305]
      #5924464 - 06/16/13 09:31 PM

My girlfriend and I are planning on going to the OSP this year. This will be the first time for me. I've always wanted to go, but-for one reason or another (usually associated with where I've lived and my work schedule)-I haven't been able to go. She's never been to a large star party before and she's somewhat getting started in all of this. Both of us are really looking forward to going. Since moving here to Antelope in late 2011, which is just a couple of hours away (northwest of the site) and having some time off now, there's no excuse NOT to go. Well...money...but we'll see how THAT goes. The trick is getting away, as I run the local volunteer fire department here and we are dealing with an unusually early fire season albit it's been quiet for us so far (knock on wood).

I live in a frontier area where the skies are pretty darn dark, about 45 minutes over the hills from the nearest source of city glow and only five or six street lights in our tiny town (I live in the "quiet" and "darkest" part of our tiny town, so I'm blessed with some convenient astronomy. However, I have spent some time camping in the Ochocos and the skies there, when the conditions are right, can't be beat.

The OSP website's forum has a good deal of first-timers and some well-written posts by folks passing on some great tips which we'll take heed to. Going to be interesting to see how much we can cram into a little '02 Hyundai Accent....taking the 10" LX200 with us. Normally I can take a lot of stuff if I'm going by myself. Where I used to live in the Sierra Nevadas, I got packing my gear down to a science because I only had a tiny hole in the trees at the zenith to work with, which meant travelling for observing. Now there's two of us. Just hoping the roads going all the way out to that site are not too rough for my little car.

I've been away from CN for a while, again, due to a TON of stuff going on in my life and I wouldn't even know where to begin if I were to explain. Maybe in another thread at another time. Suffice it to say, the OSP is going to be a welcome excursion for me...if all goes well according to my evil plans to get out of Dodge for a few days.

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: mtnmedic]
      #5926341 - 06/17/13 08:56 PM

OSP is a great star party. You are going to have a great time!

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but you should catch at least one of Dave Powell's evening sessions at the loop. Each night, he goes over the mythology of an area of the sky. He's a great story teller and it's always interesting and humorous.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#5927042 - 06/18/13 08:49 AM

Oh, we're definitely going to take in one of Dave's talks. We love stuff like that.

She's dying to catch a view out of a 20" or larger Obsession....

Hopefully we will get a nice spot to pitch our tent and scope. She wants to be nearer to the trees, away from any RVs. I've never been there so I don't know where to begin looking. We plan on arriving as early as possible during daylight in the morning Thursday and leave first thing Sunday morning.

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

#5927169 - 06/18/13 10:24 AM

Getting away from RVs is pretty easy. There is a large camping area to the north of the loop that is off limits to RVs.

Getting near to the trees is a bit tougher, as there are no trees near the main part of the star party. If I remember right, there are a few folks who set up their tents near the trees in the distance. But I'm one of those RV guys, so I keep close to the road.

Getting a view through a large telescope should not be a problem. For the last couple of years, there has been an attendee with a 41" scope. There is also a regular who brings up a 25" Obsession. I think that I missed him last year, but hopefully he'll be there this year.

-Wade

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#5928034 - 06/18/13 06:13 PM

Cool. That's what we're after. Hopefully by early Thursday morning we'll be able to make our way around and find a good spot to plop down on without difficulty. I usually don't mind camping near other people at a large event but she's interested in having a little more space and privacy.

The other thing, however, is she has a bum knee (awaiting surgery) and is on crutches. She gets around nicely but at times needs to rest. As long as the ground stays relatively level, she'll be okay. I'm usually right there with her.

A 41"? Wow. When I told my girlfriend that, she just had a big smile on her face. She likes the idea of being able to see all the different types of telescopes. I'd been telling her that she SHOULD get some opportunity to see through a 20" or larger at some point. She also wants to see what high-quality APOs are all about. One thing the both of us are hoping to experience is one of those large-aperture binocular telescopes.

Nice to know you're going. I'd love to meet a few fellow CN'ers at the event.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
      #5928257 - 06/18/13 09:03 PM

I camped next to the guy with the 40 inch scope. He ground the mirror himself. It was made from plate glass he had fused in a kiln. He had a problem after 3 years of grinding and had to spend a couple of more years refiguring it. It took him 7 years total to the mirror and structure. The whole structure weighs 800 pounds. He was trying to see the Einstein Cross in it one night. I used his very tall ladder for better cellular signal. I spent six nights there and had a great time. It was my first OSP. I plan to be there for the total eclipse in a few more years. This year will be my 6 straight GSSP which is much closer to my home in Reno.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: JMW]
      #5928304 - 06/18/13 09:35 PM

As for the 2017 total eclipse, I'd definitely be East of the Cascades just North of Madras as Salem and the Willamette valley are famous for morning marine layer clouds even in the middle of summer. Wouldn't that suck if you woke up and found you were going to miss it even though you were under the center line.

Oregon path

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

BTW, when is the last day you can register for the OSP?

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#5928332 - 06/18/13 09:57 PM

Quote:

I camped next to the guy with the 40 inch scope. He ground the mirror himself. It was made from plate glass he had fused in a kiln. He had a problem after 3 years of grinding and had to spend a couple of more years refiguring it. It took him 7 years total to the mirror and structure. The whole structure weighs 800 pounds. He was trying to see the Einstein Cross in it one night. I used his very tall ladder for better cellular signal. I spent six nights there and had a great time. It was my first OSP. I plan to be there for the total eclipse in a few more years. This year will be my 6 straight GSSP which is much closer to my home in Reno.

Wow. That's quite a project. I'd love to see that scope for its historical value as well as its optical ability, which I would love to experience. My girlfriend and I have been tossing around the idea of making our own telescope as a fun project to do together (I did a little bit of ATM in my younger years) in the future.

We too are discussing going back fo see the total eclipse as well.

Reno, eh? I used to live in the Nevada City-Downieville, California area before I moved back here in late 2011 (I'm originally from Oregon). I visited Reno fairly often, preferring it to Sacramento for a variety of reasons. Sadly, I never got the opportunity to attend the GSSP. We had a small astronomy club in Nevada City that occasionally had interaction with the Sacramento Valley Astronomers Society, whose annual Star-B-Que at the Blue Canyon Airport I attended.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#5928369 - 06/18/13 10:38 PM

Quote:

As for the 2017 total eclipse, I'd definitely be East of the Cascades just North of Madras as Salem and the Willamette valley are famous for morning marine layer clouds even in the middle of summer. Wouldn't that suck if you woke up and found you were going to miss it even though you were under the center line.

Oregon path

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

Totally agree with you on this. Fortuntely for me, I live a bit north and east of Madras.

Noticed you're in the Medford area. I'm originally from the Rogue Valley. Grew up and lived in Talent throughout my early life. Graduated from Phoenix High School. Worked as a firefighter and medic in the Rogue Valley (even put in a little time with Mercy Flights back in the 80s). My parents still live up in the hills northwest of Sams Valley way up East Evans Creek. In fact, my girlfriend and I plan on driving down to visit my parents in October. Aside from that, the two must-do stops along the way: 1) Crater Lake and 2) Luigi's Sandwich shop (nothing beats their Garbage Grinder!), neither of which my girlfriend has experienced in the past.

A place I used to love taking my telescope to in southern Oregon is near Freezeout, way up in the hills above and behind Talent. From there, one can take in a stunning view of the valley with Roxy Ann just peaking out above fog layer whenever it'd settle in.

Bill Jensen
sage

Reged: 10/23/04

Loc: Springfield VA
      #5936797 - 06/23/13 05:39 PM

Quote:

Early registration is available until July 12, but you can arrive at OSP and register onsite, it is just a bit cheaper to do it early.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: Bill Jensen]
      #5936946 - 06/23/13 06:52 PM

mtnmedic, R&D sandwich shop is even better than Luigi's IMO.

I'm planning on several solo star parties up at Howard Prairie this summer during the week when I'm off. Camping should be good into early October until the rain starts back up again.

Hoping to get out to OSP this summer, but if not I'll try for Brother's in early September.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#5943942 - 06/27/13 10:41 PM

I'm camping light and simple using a small tent, a few tarps, fold up camping chairs/table, and my Saturn sedan to lock up my optics when I'm moving around checking out the premium scopes and programs. Where is the best area to pitch my tent near my car? I'd like to set up the scope in my camp area. I'm not planning on cooking, but just eating canned foods to conserve water. (no dish washing)

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#5943957 - 06/27/13 10:51 PM

Quote:

I'm planning on several solo star parties up at Howard Prairie this summer during the week when I'm off. Camping should be good into early October until the rain starts back up again.

Hoping to get out to OSP this summer, but if not I'll try for Brother's in early September.

R&D better than Luigi's? Hmmm...gotta try that. Would be interesting. I've always held that Luigi's is the best I'm a BIG fan of their Garbage Grinderj with pepperoncini, jalapeños, grilled onions, etc. Anyway, will look up R&D. Do they have the one location or do they have more? We plan on visiting my mother, who lives in upper East Evans Ck. up past Antioch Rd, this October.

Brothers...as in Brothers, OR...outside of Bend? If so, I wasn't even aware of that. Details?

We are definitelly planning on going to the OSP.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#5943970 - 06/27/13 11:04 PM

Quote:

I'm camping light and simple using a small tent, a few tarps, fold up camping chairs/table, and my Saturn sedan to lock up my optics when I'm moving around checking out the premium scopes and programs. Where is the best area to pitch my tent near my car? I'd like to set up the scope in my camp area. I'm not planning on cooking, but just eating canned foods to conserve water. (no dish washing)

We're hoping that we can learn more about the same kind of spot....set up my scope near the car...as we've never been there before. We're bringing freeze dried meals, as we'll have a way to boil water, and eat out of the pouches. Maybe a few cannned goods, too.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#5944086 - 06/28/13 12:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

R&D better than Luigi's? Hmmm...gotta try that. Would be interesting. I've always held that Luigi's is the best I'm a BIG fan of their Garbage Grinderj with pepperoncini, jalapeños, grilled onions, etc. Anyway, will look up R&D. Do they have the one location or do they have more? We plan on visiting my mother, who lives in upper East Evans Ck. up past Antioch Rd, this October.

Brothers...as in Brothers, OR...outside of Bend? If so, I wasn't even aware of that. Details?

We are definitelly planning on going to the OSP.

R&D is on N. Riverside next door to the OK market and Advantage Appliance store.

I almost bought 8 acres up in that neck of the woods for $11k. I still kick myself for not jumping on it. Now I'm stuck in a West Medford barrio watching everyone else's property values going back up while mine keep falling with every nearby drug bust, stabbings and drive by shootings.

Yeah it's near Brothers, Oregon East of Bend. The original site up on Mt Bachelor was kinda dicey at best. This new site is supposed to be pretty good.
Brothers Star Party
The registration page isn't up yet.

Looks like you save $20 on early registration at OSP. That would pay for a couple of showers or hot meals.

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
      #5947411 - 06/30/13 12:52 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Quote:

Why used canned? It just creates garbage. The cold food route is how I roll at star parties but I do a bit more cooking prep. I roast a chicken and some other small portion of meat then debone them and pack in the cooler. Add to that veggies, cheese and bread then I'm ready to go. I substitute energy drinks for coffee. Nothing to heat and nothing to wash. I just wipe things down with a wet paper towel.

My eating table has looked like this for the last couple of years. As might be noticed I even setup my sleeping roll in the back of the old Sonoma.

I've sold that old truck and now have a brand spankin' new Forester so the table will look different this year.

Bill

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5947753 - 06/30/13 09:39 AM

I'm going with canned so I don't have to think about refrigeration. Those 5 day ice chests eventually melt the ice. I will keep some beer in the ice chest along with milk and caffeinated chilled beverages, but I'll mostly drink just ice water to maintain hydration.

Set the cans up on the dashboard and you'll have a hot meal while the sun shines. It will be warm even if it's a cloudy day.

Maybe next year I'll have fancier camping equipment like a pickup truck canopy or camper. Right now I have a '98 Saturn SL.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
      #5948212 - 06/30/13 03:12 PM

Steve, in answer to your question on good locations for tent camping, look at the site map, here.

I prefer camping along the north tree line, roughly sections I/3 to O/3. Good sites can also be found in the woods in the NE sectors.

There are a couple of disadvantages to these areas. It's somewhat lower ground, so the southern view isn't as generous as in the main scope field and the imaging areas; however, I find the horizons quite adequate. Another disadvantage is that you'll want to set up for viewing a bit away from your camp, maybe 25 - 75 yd., depending. Also, it's a bit of a walk up to the main "concourse" where vendors, showers and programs are found.

OTOH, a guy can obtain shade in woods during the day and from the trees in the late afternoon and there is considerably less dust. And you won't be cheek-by-jowl with your neighbor. To me, these advantages rule. YMMV.

Sadly, it looks as though I probably won't be making it this year.

Mr. AH
journeyman

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: Spaced]
      #5948744 - 06/30/13 09:44 PM

We would like to remind all of you that registration for the Oregon Star Party (August 6 to August 11) is now open. Whether you’re a first-timer or a grizzled veteran, there is plenty to do and experience at this year’s star party. In attempt to bring clarity to the happenings the Oregon Star Party Committee is experimenting by publishing a newsletter (see link below). We hope that this newsletter will help you in planning your trip to Indian Trail Springs by providing you information on the various activities, services and events that will take place. A second goal of the newsletter is to provide news that may affect the star party. Finally, the newsletter will present information that hopefully will further your understanding of astronomy.

Hope you enjoy,

The Oregon Star Party Committee

Newsletter

P.S. The Dropbox viewer has a few glitches so you may have to download the filed.

bbbriggs

#5982299 - 07/21/13 01:15 AM

The date seems to be zooming up on me. I am coming early so I only have about 13 days, I will be leaving the Seattle area on August 3. The scope needs a drive mounted to it, and I need to get started. Unpacked a few things from the last trip, got a new lawn chair and a new tent cot. I have gotten totally spoiled so I am making a pick up from Famous Daves BBQ on the way up.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#5987808 - 07/24/13 12:47 PM

Just curious...are there any cooking restrictions? For example, using a small propane burner you attach to the top of a small propane bottle or a small Coleman stove, etc.?

The big thing we want to do is heat the water for hot drinks and freeze-dried meals. I thought perhaps just finding some kind of container and setting it atop the car or somewhere in the sun all day ought to do it.

Thoughts?

hbanich
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/05

Loc: Portland, Oregon
      #5988031 - 07/24/13 04:00 PM

Quote:

Just curious...are there any cooking restrictions? For example, using a small propane burner you attach to the top of a small propane bottle or a small Coleman stove, etc.?

The big thing we want to do is heat the water for hot drinks and freeze-dried meals. I thought perhaps just finding some kind of container and setting it atop the car or somewhere in the sun all day ought to do it.

Thoughts?

That should be no problem, here's info from the OSP website (http://www.oregonstarparty.org/oregonstarparty/AtOSP/ForestService.aspx):

- No open fires are allowed anywhere on site at OSP.
- Charcoal Briquettes are not allowed anywhere on site at OSP.
- Only propane or white gas stoves are permitted as long as they are off the ground and not a danger to the surrounding area.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: hbanich]
      #5988197 - 07/24/13 05:47 PM

Too broke to travel to OSP this year. Went to the Oregon Country Fair instead. Brother's Star party is going to be my fall back position as I still have the time to scratch up the funds for that one. Maybe next year...

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#5988403 - 07/24/13 08:12 PM

Quote:

Too broke to travel to OSP this year. Went to the Oregon Country Fair instead. Brother's Star party is going to be my fall back position as I still have the time to scratch up the funds for that one. Maybe next year...

That's a bummer. We were looking forward to meeting you.

Brothers Star Party looks interesting and may be something we also check out next year as well. I've been through that area numerous times on my travels between Burns and Bend several years ago. I always thought it might make a nice area to pull over and do a little observing one night.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#5988411 - 07/24/13 08:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thoughts?

That should be no problem, here's info from the OSP website (http://www.oregonstarparty.org/oregonstarparty/AtOSP/ForestService.aspx):

- No open fires are allowed anywhere on site at OSP.
- Charcoal Briquettes are not allowed anywhere on site at OSP.
- Only propane or white gas stoves are permitted as long as they are off the ground and not a danger to the surrounding area.

Okay, that's what I thought. I remember reading those guidelines at the OSP website. I just wasn't sure if there was anything else I hadn't learned about.

So, that would also rule out canned sterno gel fuel heaters used in a sterno cook "stove" (it's a folding metal contraption that houses the sterno can that you set the cooking utensil atop of)? I ask because I always keep a couple of cans for heating/cooking in a pinch in my camping kit.

Also just thinking of simply getting some water in a container and setting in or on top of the car or some other sun-exposed location to heat it up so we can use it later instead of having to find some way to boil it later on. Maybe someone will have tips on doing something like this.

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

#5988791 - 07/25/13 12:21 AM

I am virtually certain that stereo would be out... Especially considering the elevating fire risk. OSP has always been pretty strict about tat sort of stuff to conform to USFS rules.

Mr. AH
journeyman

#5993999 - 07/28/13 01:16 AM

The next issue of the Oregon Star Party News will be coming out on Tuesday. It will include Rules and Guidelines for OSP. Also, in addition to the Star Dinners Jason will be serving the following:

Breakfast
- Omelets with mushrooms, peppers, onions cheese and bacon $6.00
- Hash browns $3.00
- Pancakes $4.00
- Muffins $2.00

Lunch

- Yakisoba noodles with veggies and grilled chicken $7.00
- Grilled hamburgers with caramelized onions, lettuce tomatoes and condiments $5.00
- Rueben sandwiches $6.00
- Potato salad and macaroni salad $3.00
- Hot dogs with condiments $3.00
- Chocolate chip cookies $2.00

Other daily specials to be offered as well.

Late night food will include hamburgers and noodle dishes, etc.

Also, ice will be delivered daily at noon.

P.S. No sterno allowed

bbbriggs

#5994162 - 07/28/13 05:20 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

I will be bringing my 18" with the roller coaster wheels for the 6th time to OSP. My generous brother is cutting me some custom gears for a drive system. I hope to have everything in time for OSP but more than likely I will be doing some of the work in the field during the day at OSP.

Edited by bbbriggs (07/28/13 05:21 AM)

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#5994677 - 07/28/13 12:38 PM

Question...can anyone here who has been to the OSP in the past tell me what cell phone reception is like there? Especially regarding AT&T? I have an iPhone 4S that is on Straight Talk (uses AT&T and Cingular towers) and an iPad 3 (AT&T 3G/4G/LTE).

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#5994920 - 07/28/13 03:03 PM

It's pretty remote, even from Bend, I'd be surprised if there was cell service, but you never know...

Hopefully there aren't a bunch of smokey wild fires burning that would severely impact the OSP.

Right now it's real bad in SW Oregon.

BradleyB
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Olympia, WA
      #5995791 - 07/28/13 11:48 PM

I have an AT&T phone and last year I only got reception over at the far end of the field to the south of the shower trailer. It was consistent, I got through whenever I tried.

Brad

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: BradleyB]
      #5997437 - 07/29/13 10:45 PM

Verizon is best at the field, the rest all seem to require precise geographic positioning on the field to get reception.

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

#5997445 - 07/29/13 10:48 PM

Quote:

I will be bringing my 18" with the roller coaster wheels for the 6th time to OSP. My generous brother is cutting me some custom gears for a drive system. I hope to have everything in time for OSP but more than likely I will be doing some of the work in the field during the day at OSP.

Been there done that (trimmed my truss poles at GSSP a month ago!) I seem to always get behind just before big star parties and have to finish at the field! Looking around I am envious of those who are more prepared...but I do get better each year. I just tell myself those prepared folks were just like me a few years ago...

Mr. AH
journeyman

#5999122 - 07/30/13 09:09 PM

Hello all:

It's one week to the Oregon Star Party and we are almost set to migrate over to Indian Trail Spring. Shirts will be picked up on Thursday and the trailer will be packed on Friday.

Many will make the trip early, going up before or on the weekend, others like myself have commitments and will be coming up next week. That doesn't worry me because we have 40 acres over which to spread out.

The longer term weather report for Indian Trail Spring looks promising. High temperatures should be in the mid-80s to low-90s; lows should be in the mid-40s. Skies during the day should be partly cloudy and nights should be mostly clear. Friday, August 9th has is a 30% chance of isolated thunderstorms. Note: if you plan on going up before the party, there is a chance for isolated thunderstorms on Thursday August 1st and Saturday August 3rd.

The Ochoco National Forest reports that as of today, Fire Danger is HIGH. This means that U.S. Forest Service approved generators are allowed at this time, although conditions can change at a moment's notice. We also want to stress to participants to exercise extreme caution with the use of fire (smoking, cooking, etc.).

The attached file contains the second issue of the Oregon Star Party News: we hope you enjoy reading our news. Some highlights of the newsletter include Rules and Guidelines of the star party, Ochoco Mountains Geology and Ecology, and descriptions of some of the activities which will take place during this year's event.

Finally, we want to wish everyone safe travels and clear skies.

Sincerely,

The Oregon Star Party Committee

Oregon Star Party News Issue 2

P.S. You may need to download the file to view all content.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#5999298 - 07/30/13 11:37 PM

Do OSP volunteers still pay the full registration fee?

Mr. AH
journeyman

#5999474 - 07/31/13 03:05 AM

Yes they do. However they do get Caldwell Bucks for discounts for food and espresso.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
      #6001953 - 08/01/13 07:14 PM

With AT&T I had to get up on a tall Dob ladder to get a strong signal.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#6002669 - 08/02/13 07:06 AM

With all this terrible smoke choking us in SW Oregon, I sure wish I was going up to the OSP next week. You all have fun up there and enjoy all that fresh mountain air with black skies down to the horizon for me. Cya next year.

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

#6006912 - 08/05/13 12:36 AM

I'm off on Tuesday to OSP...hoping for clear skies!

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#6011298 - 08/07/13 11:43 AM

Whoo hoo! We're heading up to OSP early tomorrow morning!!!

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#6012847 - 08/08/13 02:24 AM

Looks like OSP had scattered clouds earlier. Hope it doesn't turn into a deal breaker as this will last through the weekend. Might make for a nice time lapse video.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#6013139 - 08/08/13 08:59 AM

Dave caled me yesterday. Some scattered clouds off and on. Hopefully it won't be much more than that.

tayseidel

Reged: 11/15/12

#6013971 - 08/08/13 03:16 PM

Right now, the smoke is really ruining the views. Don't come up to OSP, and expect the seeing to be great.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: tayseidel]
      #6014632 - 08/08/13 09:39 PM

From what I can see in the regional satellite images, there is lots of clouds blowing over the OSP site. The weather reports for Prineville and John Day both show T storms through Saturday and partial to clear on Sunday. Sux this is happening right at the time of the OSP. Forest fires and smoke are the icing on the cake. Still might be a good time for visual observers between clouds. AP gotta be a tough row to hoe.

OSP WunderMap®

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

#6018514 - 08/11/13 03:07 AM

I was there Tuesday and Wednesday night...Clouds threatened to ruin viewing on Tues night but blew away by about 10pm (or a bit later) and I had some really nice viewing including some fun time spent looking through Sagittarius. I also got to spend some time with my favorite sky object M51.
Found some new Galaxies on my "list" too.
Wednesday was looking to be similar to Tuesday...big thick bank of clouds coming through as dusk approached...significant clearing...however this was short lived and though we sat out until around 11 hoping for clearing, we were totally skunked. I heard from a friend that someone had gotten up at 4:30 to take a look at Jupiter and the clouds were still too thick. I got up at 8 am however and the skies were completely clear. The weather report at the time I left was for some possible clouds and T-storms through Friday and then clearing up for Sat and Sun. I suspect someone there will chime in with a report when they get back!
I will say that this is the third time I have been to OSP (and my shortest trip) and the first time I had a night where I could not observe. We were camped right across from the Latte cart and the food vendor (a Chopped Contestant!).
So...there was no suffering! OSP does know how to throw a Star Party, they can't always control the weather...but they are not alone in that. Great speakers scheduled that we were looking forward to hearing until I got a call from work asking me to come in urgently...so we left on Thursday (a day earlier than planned )
Smoke did affect the seeing, but it was still much better than the viewing near home.

bbbriggs

#6020707 - 08/12/13 12:40 PM

Overall I was pleased with OSP this year. I came in on Sunday before. Despite the weather I got in 3 excellent observing nights, especially Friday night. You just never know. The guy camped next to me left in disgust on Friday and missed the two best nights. Moral, come early and stay till the end, even when cloudy take a look out every hour or so. I also had a couple of total noobs camped next to me that I immediately infected with aperture fever. It was a lot of fun showing them stuff.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#6022484 - 08/13/13 09:16 AM

I wish I could have made it up there. Lots of people to meet and scopes to see and look through. Glad it worked out to your satisfaction. Sounds like it was a lot of fun once it quit raining.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#6024426 - 08/14/13 02:56 AM

My girlfriend and I arrived at OSP just after noon Thursday. We stayed through late Sunday morning. While the weather was nice and warm, albeit some clouds, during the day, it turned to cold and rainy. At one point during a passing T-storm, one flash of lightning happened VERY close to us...the flash and crack of thunder were simultaneous and it was very loud. Scared us both silly. The storm moved on with a little bit of rain. However, Friday night and Saturday night (especially the latter) rewarded those who were patient. We camped with our tent in a small grove of trees well beyond the 802 circle.

We had a great time and enjoyed a lot of the events and activities, checked out some of the vendors and met some great folks. I set up my 10" LX200 Classic and did some viewing with that, letting a couple of folks take a peek as well. We walked around and did some viewing through a few large diameter Dobs, taking a good look at some ATM creations and learned a few interesting things. Yes, my girlfriend now effectively has aperture fever.

Everyone was really nice and helpful. The restroom facilities were pretty clean. The shower truck was awesome. The food vendors were great. The events and activities were entertaining an interesting.

The ONLY negative-other than the transient rain and T-storms, was AT&T cell/data reception was practically non-existent except for a couple of spots well behind the shower truck. Friday morning's hike was nice and there was even a brief cougar sighting (uneventful) as well as an awesome near-full rainbow.

All in all a great experience with a little bit of everything. We'll definitely try to come back for next year's OSP.

hbanich
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/05

Loc: Portland, Oregon
      #6025546 - 08/14/13 04:53 PM

Not only come early and stay until the end if you can, but stay an extra night - Sunday 8/11 was the best full night at OSP in many years. The transparency, darkness and seeing were all excellent, plus the Perseid's put on a good show.

Actually, I got the darkest SQM readings I've ever measured at the OSP Sunday night - 21.85 was the darkest reading I've measured there since I began using the SQM. The seeing was excellent all week and Sunday night was no exception - hovering around 1 arc second all night. There's no subjective way to measure transparency that I know of but my personal bench mark is how easy the 6.4 magnitude star near Polaris is to see naked eye and how well M33 stands out naked eye. By both of these tests, plus the views through the eyepiece, showed that this was one of the all-time best nights at OSP.

That said, it was rough go at times through the previous week with variable wildfire smoke and then thunderstorms, but there was plenty of good observing too. Sunday night happened just in time to cement this as one of my most memorable Oregon Star Party's.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#6025576 - 08/14/13 05:08 PM

Quote:

Not only come early and stay until the end if you can, but stay an extra night - Sunday 8/11 was the best full night at OSP in many years. The transparency, darkness and seeing were all excellent, plus the Perseid's put on a good show.

Actually, I got the darkest SQM readings I've ever measured at the OSP Sunday night - 21.85 was the darkest reading I've measured there since I began using the SQM. The seeing was excellent all week and Sunday night was no exception - hovering around 1 arc second all night. There's no subjective way to measure transparency that I know of but my personal bench mark is how easy the 6.4 magnitude star near Polaris is to see naked eye and how well M33 stands out naked eye. By both of these tests, plus the views through the eyepiece, showed that this was one of the all-time best nights at OSP.

That said, it was rough go at times through the previous week with variable wildfire smoke and then thunderstorms, but there was plenty of good observing too. Sunday night happened just in time to cement this as one of my most memorable Oregon Star Party's.

We were debating on staying Sunday night but decided not to because we have a bunch of pets and one more day might've been too much for our neighbor taking care of them. Drat.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#6026034 - 08/14/13 09:38 PM

I hope to make it next year. The Brothers star party is in 3 weeks. Last Sunday night I was up at the local Southern Oregon Skywatchers summer observation site looking at stars and meteors. Not nearly as good as the OSP, but better than watching lame Sunday night TV.

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

#6026947 - 08/15/13 11:23 AM

Thanks for the report, Howard.

I arrived early, on Wednesday, 7/31. I got to see all kinds of interesting weather, including a pretty good accumulation of hail over a full 30 minute period in the week before the start of OSP.

I did get in 4 nights of imaging under skies that were clear with good seeing, but with so-so transparency. With the forecast going into the closing weekend, I packed up the observatory tent and imaging stuff on Friday (8/9), but left the visual scopes out. I got a decent night of visual work on Friday between about 11pm, when it started clearing to the south, and 4:30am, when it started to get cloudy again.

Unfortunately, when I woke up Saturday morning, I was not feeling well. I knew that the forecast for Saturday night was a bit better than Friday, I thought about staying, but was feeling worse by the hour, so I left after the door prizes.

It sounds like I missed a really great night on Sunday. It's been a few years since I saw a really dark and transparent night at OSP.

Depending on whether they go with July or August next year, I will again be arriving early or staying late.

Bill Jensen
sage

#6029942 - 08/16/13 09:37 PM

Howard, I agree, Sunday was one sweet night, up until 4:30 when the body gave out before the skies did. I think it was the best I have seen in terms of darkness in the 18 years I have attended. The rift overhead was amazing. Even the coyotes and the hoot owl seemed to agree!

Bill Jensen
sage

#6031722 - 08/17/13 08:45 PM

Quote:

The ONLY negative-other than the transient rain and T-storms, was AT&T cell/data reception was practically non-existent except for a couple of spots well behind the shower truck.

Michael, I used a Wilson brand cell phone booster that ran about $100 from Best Buy, and I was getting 3 or more bars on Verizon, and 3g internet service routinely using it. It sure may be worth a try when you return. Without the booster the connectivity was not that great, but the antenna/booster combo worked well.

John Rhodes
Vendor (Televue Rep)

Reged: 02/21/06

Loc: Torrance, CA.
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: Bill Jensen]
      #6036858 - 08/20/13 04:18 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

I " briefly " got reception...

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: John Rhodes]
      #6037061 - 08/20/13 06:15 PM

John....

Don't you go bringin that stuff to Arizona for the AASP in October.... (Oct 4-5)
(Edit Add) I'm talking about the lightning.... not the eyepieces....

Edited by dmdouglass (08/20/13 06:17 PM)

John Rhodes
Vendor (Televue Rep)

Reged: 02/21/06

Loc: Torrance, CA.
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #6037233 - 08/20/13 08:00 PM

Quote:

John....

Don't you go bringin that stuff to Arizona for the AASP in October.... (Oct 4-5)
(Edit Add) I'm talking about the lightning.... not the eyepieces....

I'd love to come back to AASP this year but I'll still be at Okie Tex on those dates

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: John Rhodes]
      #6046312 - 08/26/13 01:33 AM

Quote:

I " briefly " got reception...

Looks like I left at the right time... I was the Airstream right by you!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3770

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics