Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Gregk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/19/06

Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,
What mount should I get new
      #5850244 - 05/09/13 03:10 PM

Finally I am getting to a permanent pier situation for AP. Been working off a wheely bar since 2006

My payload modest. Maximum 8 inch SCT OAG and Cameras (450D SS III Mono)

Mounts I am considering Pier Mounted

Atlas
Celestron CGEM
G-11 Losmandy
IoPtron IeQ-45 with updated Clutches (Whatever that is refereing too)

I currently have an Orion Sirius which I am pleased with but not sure it could perform well enough with an 8 inch for AP. I like the quitness of the Sirius Motors and its ability to Goto and track well. I've had an LXD-75, Orion Atlas and a CG-5 also along the way.

The G11 would do well but not sure I can get with the external motors.

Let me Know

Thanks

Greg

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EdmontonAB
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/30/08

Loc: Sooke, BC , Canada
Re: What mount should I get new [Re: Gregk]
      #5850599 - 05/09/13 06:20 PM

With autoguiding the Sirius mount should handle the 8" with a finderscope/guider setup. I have an AT8RC that I used on a Sirius mount with a 50mm guidescope and took 5 - 10 min exposures. I would try the combination first. You may not have to upgrade the mount.

Gregk
Carpal Tunnel

Re: What mount should I get new [Re: EdmontonAB]
      #5850659 - 05/09/13 06:55 PM

Thanks

I'm wondering if its worth another 1200.00 to get a G11 for better PE. I do well at 950mm with my 6 inch sct and sirius but have to use the oag for great guiding. The pier however would lead me to do a drift alignment once a month or so
That would help to.

Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
      #5850919 - 05/09/13 08:58 PM

If you need to redo polar alignment every month with a pier then I'd strongly suspect that you don't have a proper foundation (the below ground part) for it.

Phil

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#5852914 - 05/10/13 10:39 PM

Hi,
I would pick the Atlas. My new G-11 required a bit of tweaking to get that good PE and balance is critical. After using Nexstar I was disappointed with the Gemini 2. And there were a number of problems that still haven't been worked out since it's still new. You might want to check out the Gemini 2 yahoo group. I ended up switching to a barely used CGE which I am very happy with. But If I was using an 8" OTA I would get an Atlas. I always hear very good reports on them. But I have never owned one.
neilson

RogerRZ
Whatta you lookin' at?

Reged: 01/09/06

Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada
Re: What mount should I get new [Re: neilson]
      #5853236 - 05/11/13 04:13 AM

I would say that if your budget permits condidering a G11+Gemini, you'd be better served on the used market by some sort of Tak (EM10-11) or AP (400-600GTO) Maybe a MI250. These should perform well out of the box, no tweaking required.

I can't quite afford to go to this price bracket (3-4K), so I'm sticking to my EQ6 Pro, that apart from carrying capacity, is similar to your Sirus...

Wouter D'hoye
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/27/03

Loc: Belgium
Re: What mount should I get new [Re: RogerRZ]
      #5853643 - 05/11/13 11:51 AM

Hi,

from a cost<:performance point of view the Atlas is hard to beat. The G11 might be a bit better but only at a substantial increase in cost. Though the nice thing is that the G11 is a well proven mount with excellent built quality, and will really last a lifetime. (I can't comment on the goto system though as mine is non goto)

My advice would be to start with the mount you have. It should actually be able to handle a C8. If it doesn't work out well you can still upgrade to the Atlas or the G11.

Kind regards,

Wouter.

gdd
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
      #5853781 - 05/11/13 12:53 PM

Hi Greg,

I have a G11, like it, and find it easy to use. However, since you already have a Sirius, the Atlas would function in exactly the same way you are familiar. But if you find the Sirius can do the job when pier mounted, why bother changing?

Gale

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: What mount should I get new [Re: gdd]
      #5854266 - 05/11/13 06:56 PM

it seems like recent G11s with the high precision worm (but not the one-piece worm block or the Ovision one-piece worm) can exhibit really large PE, like 30arcsec pk-pk. not sure what's going on there, but 2-3 recent owners including myself have seen this.

Gregk
Carpal Tunnel

Re: What mount should I get [Re: Gregk]
      #5854291 - 05/11/13 07:30 PM

Hi Guys thanks for all the good input.

I have been thinking allot about the decision. I've had the Sirius mount for about 3 years now and really like it. It only weighs 15 lbs and for monthly remote trips it is super.
Although now I my not have to go remote.

I think for now I'll make an adapter plate for my pier and go with the sirius. If it does well then I'll just keep it since I really like the EQMOD control and mapping system.

The other thing is that the mount will stay on the pier with no shelter around it other than just an insulated sono tube or insulated garbage can. It does get to 110deg here in Arizona so I need to keep it shaded. Well see

Pages: 1

Extra information
32 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 655

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics