Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dan56

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Sheridan Wy
Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? new
      #5829649 - 04/29/13 08:01 AM

I am wanting to get a ipad or ipad mini just for Sky Safari.But if the mini has no gps, my dark site has no wifi,or cell towers,how will a mini know the right star positions when you turn it on? I am just making sure what will work before I start spending money.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? new [Re: Dan56]
      #5829679 - 04/29/13 08:31 AM

You will have to enter your Lat/Lon manually. Not really much of an issue.

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #5830697 - 04/29/13 04:52 PM

I was at Best Buy a few days ago, and was told by a salesman there that the next generation of ipad mini will have the gps feature. I don't know whether that's absolutely true or not, but maybe someone who knows better will chime in.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5831215 - 04/29/13 10:13 PM

Quote:

I was at Best Buy a few days ago, and was told by a salesman there that the next generation of ipad mini will have the gps feature. I don't know whether that's absolutely true or not, but maybe someone who knows better will chime in.

You can always buy an Android tablet that does have a GPS plus a gyro and all the rest but you'll have to find a place to put the money you saved..

Jon

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5831305 - 04/29/13 11:01 PM

i'd put the money i saved into an Apple product!!

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5831320 - 04/29/13 11:14 PM

I would also rather have the Apple product.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5831368 - 04/29/13 11:45 PM

Quote:

I understand that you might well prefer the Apple product. But, you are at the mercy of Apple and if they don't have a product with the features you want/need you're stuck.

That's all.

Jon

Richard McC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/04

Loc: Australia
      #5831576 - 04/30/13 04:39 AM

The WiFi only iPad Mini tablets do not include GPS functionality but the cellular iPad Mini tablets do (I use Sky Safari on a cellular iPad Mini and it works great).

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? new [Re: Richard McC]
      #5832158 - 04/30/13 12:23 PM

I have a iPad mini wifi only and the version three full size iPad. I bought the mini specifically to mount on my DM-6. It has a leather flip cover to block any light when I am not looking at it. Not a big deal to be wifi only for the few times are year when out of cellular range. I just pull up the GPS details on my iPhone and put it in a user define location. Since I usually go back to the same sites I can pick the user define location the next time I return. I own 3 iPads. I keep the original at work, the two newer ones at home. Sky Safari works great on all of them. I love that I can buy one copy of astronomy software and use it on 3 iPads and my iPhone5. I also have a version of Sky Safari for my laptop.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? new [Re: JMW]
      #5832304 - 04/30/13 01:09 PM

Quote:

Sky Safari works great on all of them. I love that I can buy one copy of astronomy software and use it on 3 iPads and my iPhone5.

I do think that is one of the nice features of the Tablet/Smartphone marketplace. Whether it's the iOs or the Android OS, you purchase apps, they're yours to run on all your equipment (with that OS), no questions asked...

Jon

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? new [Re: btschumy]
      #5834650 - 05/01/13 03:24 PM

Agree, no issue at all.

I'm using SF on the Mini. It's great!

If you want the latest rumors, go to macrumors.com

However, the problem with waiting is that there will always be great features in the next version. If you let that dominate your thinking, you'll never buy.

Roger Corbett

Reged: 03/07/13

#5844114 - 05/06/13 06:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I understand that you might well prefer the Apple product. But, you are at the mercy of Apple and if they don't have a product with the features you want/need you're stuck.

That's all.

Jon

Absolutely! After all, there are only 775,000 apps available for download from the App Store! And, if that isn't enough for you, you can always jailbreak your device...

One more vote for Apple.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Re: Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? new [Re: Roger Corbett]
      #5844808 - 05/07/13 12:38 AM

Every computing device has an eco system. You have to see which of the solutions available best overlap with your needs and wants. I have worked in IT supporting networking at a university for the last 24 years. We have faculty, staff and students using every kind of platform. I try to use the tools that best do the job. For networking I depend on Unix style operating systems. I spend as much time on on command line interfaces as I do using GUI applications. I don't try to convince other people that my choices are best for them. It saves me the grief of having to support people who get stuck using an operating system or computing device that they don't want to use or learn more about. Fortunately my department runs the switches, wireless, routers and firewalls of our University's network so I don't have to directly support many end users or computer devices directly.

My best advice is do your research and make your choices and be happy about it. Trying to change other peoples opinions is a waste of time.

Gil V
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/09/12

Re: Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? new [Re: JMW]
      #5851904 - 05/10/13 12:16 PM

I use the app on my iPod touch (no GPS) with absolutely no problem. You line up the view in the app with the view in the sky and hit the Gyro button - good to go.

I generally don't use that feature, but it is totally independent of a GPS. Just enter your longitude/latitude and you are good to go.

No worries. Oh, and by the way, on my wife's iPad 2 the app is absolutely amaz-uz-ing.

Roger Corbett

Reged: 03/07/13

Re: Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? new [Re: Gil V]
      #5853866 - 05/11/13 02:01 PM

JMW, next time I'll use a <sarcasm on> indicator!  I cited the TOTAL # of iOS apps --NOT as a reason for going with Apple--but to emphasize that one is hardly at the "mercy of Apple" or "stuck" when there are nearly 800,000 apps in the App Store and you can always jail break the device if you can't find what you need.

On re-reading the thread, however, I see that Jon may have been referring to hardware not software.

In any event, the OP was asking whether the iPad mini was suitable for astronomy given its lack of GPS and several of us were "voting" yes for it and the Apple i-devices!  For astronomy, you really can't wrong by going with an iOS device.  It has a large selection of full-featured, polished, and incredibly useful astronomy apps.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? new [Re: Gil V]
      #5854081 - 05/11/13 04:30 PM

And one has to step back and ask how much accuracy is required for amateur astronomy. It's not like you're trying to deliver a cruise missile through someone's window.

Inputting GPS coordinates may be mildly inconvenient, but probably good enough for anything we do. And the Mini's small form factor (compared to a full-sized tablet or MacBook) easily outweighs inputting lat/longs.

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/10/05

Loc: Owasso, OK
Re: Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5854692 - 05/12/13 12:41 AM

Have you considered the Google Nexus 7?
It is far better than the 3rd party Android tablets and the Google Play store nowadays is much better than what it used to be.
Last week I sold my iPad on Craigslist and picked up the Nexus 7. I really like it.
The fact that Google itself had control over the design of the device from start to finish makes it much better than the other Android products. I would say it is on par with the iPads.

The local Staples near me had one on display. I got a chance to play around with it a bit before buying it.

Dan56

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Sheridan Wy
      #5856642 - 05/13/13 12:07 AM

Well the deed is done.Ipad mini was the chosen.Why Apple? I have a mac & apple tv,and wife has had ipads since they came out.Took a few min. to set it up, and went to app store and got Sky Safari pro.I really do not have time to learn all about the ipad, just turn it on and open Safari.I want the learnig curve time to be spent on the app.I now see I was over worried.I know enough about the sky to use it without being connected at a dark spot.One problem came up.I can not hold this thing long in my hand,looking at the sky.It is not IF but WHEN will I drop it at night.So more money and I got a case with hand strap.Seems to work.Step 2.How to mount it to a new cpc 1100 HD scope? Step 3. What do I need to connect to the scope?I will keep this thread going.Thanks for the feed back.

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
      #5857285 - 05/13/13 11:39 AM

Get a RAM mount for your iPad Mini. I have one for my full-size iPad 3rd gen. Clamp to the right-hand side handle.

I've got a few bad pictures showing how I've got mine set up... I'm using SkyWIre and the adapter cable the scope came with to drive it. SkyFi would be a "cleaner" solution, but the wire was cheap. Now, the mini uses the lightning connector, so the SkyFI is the only current solution, though I hear the lightning version of the SkyWire is in development.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Re: Sky Safari on Ipad Mini? new [Re: Sorny]
      #5857425 - 05/13/13 12:44 PM

SkyWire works fine with the lightning adapter cable from Apple. Get the 6" cable version. It will plug into the Skywire on one side and has a lightning adapter on the other end of the 6 inch cable.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2142

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics