Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade LX

Pages: 1
nicholas_nolte81

Reged: 11/19/11

Loc: Mesa, az
Any ideas for a new wedge?
      #5855484 - 05/12/13 01:24 PM

A buddy and I have been tossing around the idea of designing a new wedge and once we get on built we MIGHT offer it up for sale. We know we'll probably only sell 1 a year but hey its something fun that 2 bored engineers would enjoy doing lol.

Those of you who have wedges what are some things you wish your wedge had or wish were better quality?

We'd l;ove to hear yalls ideas!

Thanks
Nick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Christopher EricksonModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/08/06

Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
Re: Any ideas for a new wedge? new [Re: nicholas_nolte81]
      #5855488 - 05/12/13 01:26 PM

I wish there was a stout, easily-adjustable, affordable wedge for the Meade 16" SCT's that would work from 0 degrees to 75 degrees latitude.

Also that it would be able to mount on a Meade giant field tripod and be able to be offset to adjust for center of gravity on the tripod.

Edited by Chris Erickson (05/12/13 01:28 PM)

nicholas_nolte81

Re: Any ideas for a new wedge? new [Re: Christopher Erickson]
      #5855507 - 05/12/13 01:40 PM

Well for now we would be designing one for my 12" but if things work out we could definitely modify it for the 16". We dont have access to a 16" but I *THINK* my school has a 14" that I can take measurements off of. What changes do you think would need to be made to it to accommodate the 16"?

This design will be based off the giant field tripod as I LOVE camping and 100% of the use my telescope gets is on that tripod. Would you like to see the wedge mount the scope directly over the center of the tripod?

In this photo it shows the scope mounted off to the side of the tripod.

We could look into designing something that mounts directly over the center of the tripod mounting surface.

As far as cost goes its going to be based on the material costs. We dont plan to make any real money off this, we just want to design a better product and maybe use the funds to pay for a camping trip or 2 lol.

Edited by nicholas_nolte81 (05/12/13 01:44 PM)

Carpal Tunnel

#5855578 - 05/12/13 02:09 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Here is a layout of the parts for a wedge design for the 16's.

Carpal Tunnel

#5855582 - 05/12/13 02:13 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

And here is a layout for a polar alignment plate for a rigid Meade pier for the 16's.

nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/07

#5855739 - 05/12/13 03:25 PM

I would really like to align my wedge before I even put the scope on. I am thinking about making an adapter so I can mount a small scope but aligning a small scope to match the wedge can take time. I would still have to fine tune, but at least I would be close, so in addition to being very strong and with the right center of gravity, I would like a polar scope built in. Having the option to have an ep tray on one side and a controller tray on the other would really trick it out, and if you go that far, a place for a laptop would really finish it off.

Edited by nitegeezer (05/12/13 03:27 PM)

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: Any ideas for a new wedge? new [Re: nitegeezer]
      #5856098 - 05/12/13 06:49 PM

a) Lays down flat for loading of the scope
b) motorised axes so it can self polar align
using the drift method.
c) Modular compartments for electrical packages
like power supplies, dew controller units etc
One power cord in and all the rest is out of the
way in the "wasted space" in the wedge.

I have got mine to lay flat for loading and have the Alt motorised ( and its feasible ), but havent done the Az adjust yet.
( You did want ideas :-) )

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Carpal Tunnel

Re: Any ideas for a new wedge? new [Re: nitegeezer]
      #5856610 - 05/12/13 11:44 PM

Quote:

I would really like to align my wedge before I even put the scope on. I am thinking about making an adapter so I can mount a small scope but aligning a small scope to match the wedge can take time. I would still have to fine tune, but at least I would be close, so in addition to being very strong and with the right center of gravity, I would like a polar scope built in. Having the option to have an ep tray on one side and a controller tray on the other would really trick it out, and if you go that far, a place for a laptop would really finish it off.

Better to do the polar alignment with the scope in place. To much added weight can flex things around.

Carpal Tunnel

#5856628 - 05/12/13 11:57 PM

Nick, this thread is walking the edge of the Cloudy Nights Terms of Service so we need to be careful.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Number/233117

Brainstorming solutions and features is fun but we have to be careful not to cross over into solicitations or product selling. At whatever point that you decide to sell a commercial product (even if only a few units) you will become a vendor and will have to abide by the vendor rules. Product selling and solicitations are not permitted in the discussion forums.

Until then, carry on and have fun.

-Christopher Erickson, forum co-moderator

Edited by Chris Erickson (05/13/13 12:51 AM)

Markigno
sage

Reged: 01/09/10

#5856979 - 05/13/13 08:42 AM

Hello, there are already on sale very good wedges. So I do not see the need for another wedge. Only if it is truly innovative could be interesting. For example a "dynamic" wedge for telescopes 10" and more would be my dream. Let me explain what I mean by "dynamic" wedge.
A wedge with adjustments in height and azimuth servo assisted, with stepper motors for the automatic management of polar alignment via software (for example PoleAlignMax) that handles the adjustments in height and azimuth necessary, all automatically. With stepper motors, also, you might think of a "home position" with horizontal plate for easy mounting of the telescope on the wedge.
This would be a wonderful wedge for telescopes itinerant or non-permanent mount.
With a wedge so, I could think of leaving the photography altazimuth and switch to polar mode.
Marco

nicholas_nolte81

Re: Any ideas for a new wedge? new [Re: Markigno]
      #5861313 - 05/15/13 12:56 AM

This is mostly just my buddy and I having fun and designing and building something new and fun. We'd have to have a completed wedge before we would even think about trying to sell one. Im really just looking for things that people wish they had on theirs so I could possibly incorporate it into the one Im going to build.

I appreciate everyone's ideas and we're going to have a face to face here in a couple days to get a basic design on paper. We wont be doing any motorization on the wedge for now. MAYBE in the future when I get bored again lol.

p1taylor
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/19/08

Loc: West Midlands UK
      #5864323 - 05/16/13 11:55 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

This is a DIY one I made for 60 it will hold 400ib or 500lb ok, I have a set of drawings, to get 0 to 70 degrees you just need longer side brackets and slots in them.

peter

Edited by p1taylor (05/16/13 11:59 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 541

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics