Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Outreach

Pages: 1
skyguy88
sage

Reged: 11/13/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Beware of the sprinklers!
      #5857608 - 05/13/13 02:05 PM

For the second time in the last year our club star party at a local park was terminated prematurely by the sudden onset of a sprinkler storm. Both times we had been assured that the system was turned off. GRRRR!

We had a nice crowd and had observed M3 and M51 with my video system. I was about to go to M 104 when the rains came.

I got lots of help covering up and hauling off my scope, TV, computer, table, etc, but we lost a great opportunity to introduce visitors to the wonders of the night.

Hazards, Hazards, everywhere.

Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Littlegreenman
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/09/05

Loc: Southern California
Re: Beware of the sprinklers! new [Re: skyguy88]
      #5857641 - 05/13/13 02:24 PM

Anyone whose been in this hobby for a few years has heard or experience sprinkler stories. This one sounds like a common disconnect between some 'administrative' level, and the grunts who are actually are supposed to do what was promised. Sometimes the administrator fails to send along the info; and sometimes the workers who actually have to do something, in this case change the sprinkler timer or turn it to "off," don't go along with it for their own reasons (this is extra work for me...if I go along with it what will they have me doing next week?).

Good luck in the future.
MB

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Beware of the sprinklers! new [Re: Littlegreenman]
      #5857844 - 05/13/13 04:07 PM

It was off....when you asked.....timers don't care about people......

clmbr256

Reged: 05/08/13

Beware of bears too new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5858720 - 05/13/13 10:12 PM

Don't have any sprinklers on our park fields, but we do have bears.

Had an astronomy in the park event last year and the bears decided to seek us out when they could not get into the bear proof garbage cans.

Large dobs offer little protection from a 350 lb angry mama bear.

Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/03/05

Loc: Colorado Springs
Re: Beware of bears too new [Re: clmbr256]
      #5866198 - 05/16/13 11:58 PM

Last summer this happened to one of my club's public star parties. The sprinkler heads were rotating, shooting off grand arcs of water. Only one was rotating towards the small parking lot where the scopes were set up.

One of our members, Jason Furman, dove on the sprinkler head like it was a live grenade, he was a secret service agent and the 20" dob 15 feet away was the President. He bought enough time for everybody to get their scopes to safety.

Did I mention the temperature was 40 degrees farenheit that night? Dude froze his rump off. Won the club's first ever medal of honor that night.

Joe F Gafford
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/06

Loc: Denver, Colorado, US
Re: Beware of the sprinklers! new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5866230 - 05/17/13 12:17 AM

We had a problem outside of the observatory on Open House nights. The observatory and the footprint is owned by the university and the outside is owned by the city parks department. It took awhile to get these people to get it right. This helped itself when they were told to time them after the 11:00pm curfew. 11:00pm is the time we all break down.

Joe

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Beware of bears too new [Re: Zamboni]
      #5867430 - 05/17/13 03:46 PM

Quote:

Last summer this happened to one of my club's public star parties. The sprinkler heads were rotating, shooting off grand arcs of water. Only one was rotating towards the small parking lot where the scopes were set up.

One of our members, Jason Furman, dove on the sprinkler head like it was a live grenade, he was a secret service agent and the 20" dob 15 feet away was the President. He bought enough time for everybody to get their scopes to safety.

Did I mention the temperature was 40 degrees farenheit that night? Dude froze his rump off. Won the club's first ever medal of honor that night.

Hope you gave him the door prize......

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5870425 - 05/18/13 10:25 PM

Quote:

Don't have any sprinklers on our park fields, but we do have bears.

Had an astronomy in the park event last year and the bears decided to seek us out when they could not get into the bear proof garbage cans.

Large dobs offer little protection from a 350 lb angry mama bear.

No but you could either lob a 9mm eyepiece or 9mm hollow points.

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: Beware of bears too new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5880641 - 05/23/13 04:16 PM

About 4 years ago the university where I teach astro labs received a couple of new 8-in go-to scopes. These were being installed at the U's observatory. I was there and since it was summer and the weather clear I had the top down on my Miata. Well, wrapping around the observatory was a 3 hole golf course for the student atheletes to practice on. As soon as it got dark the automated sprinklers came on and we being showered. We rushed to protect the optics of the new scopes with anything we could grab. Then I realized my top was down and the car was in range! I moved the roadster but it was a very wet drive home.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Beware of bears too new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5882059 - 05/24/13 11:30 AM

A few inverted buckets and bricks can be a good preventative measure to keep from getting soaked from unexpected sprinkler schedules.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5908607 - 06/07/13 07:22 PM

Quote:

Don't have any sprinklers on our park fields, but we do have bears. Had an astronomy in the park event last year and the bears decided to seek us out when they could not get into the bear proof garbage cans. Large dobs offer little protection from a 350 lb angry mama bear.

I am only afraid of two things--tornados, and bears.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nitegeezer, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1579

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics