Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
RobbW
sage

Reged: 02/09/10

Loc: Elgin, IL
Need photos of dark sky friendly lighting installs
      #5866079 - 05/16/13 10:56 PM

I would like to request some help from you all if I may. I am trying to find photographic examples of Dark Sky-Friendly (DSF) lighting installations. I am trying to organize a responsible lighting campaign in my community in the run-up to the first annual International Starry Night on August 10.

I need links to photos showing the results of installing DSF lighting. Preferably, I would like before and after photos. Photos of any installation location would be great, be it municipal lighting, gas stations, sports fields and complexes, or residential neighborhoods.

I would be especially grateful for links to any photos depicting DSF landscape lighting or DSF vanity home lighting. I want to be able to show that homeowners can have extravagant outdoor lighting that showcases the beauty of their homes using only DSF lighting.

I have been combing the interwebs for such images, but not having much luck. I have found more than enough photos of the DSF fixtures themselves, but I need photographic evidence of the results of installing DSF lighting.

Thank you for any and all help!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
Re: Need photos of dark sky friendly lighting installs new [Re: RobbW]
      #5876085 - 05/21/13 02:37 PM

Try googling
full cutoff light fixtures
and then click on IMAGES.

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
Re: Need photos of dark sky friendly lighting installs new [Re: Thomas Karpf]
      #5877488 - 05/22/13 08:00 AM

Contact International Dark Sky Association and I am sure that they give or let you copy some pictures. Light Pollution books, etc. Google on England Light Pollution and I remember some nice pictures of compare between bad and good lights but I hope its still there.

surf2snow1
journeyman

Reged: 05/15/13

Loc: Litchfield Park, AZ
Re: Need photos of dark sky friendly lighting installs new [Re: Illinois]
      #5877954 - 05/22/13 12:46 PM

Quote:

Contact International Dark Sky Association and I am sure that they give or let you copy some pictures. Light Pollution books, etc. Google on England Light Pollution and I remember some nice pictures of compare between bad and good lights but I hope its still there.

What Illinois speaks of:
http://www.darksky.org/education/quick-reference-materials

I think the last PDF is the one you are looking for.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Need photos of dark sky friendly lighting installs new [Re: surf2snow1]
      #5881745 - 05/24/13 08:23 AM

This is great, thanks! Time to talk to lighting enjineer here in my town. He is trying to help with the street lights on my street. I told him that some are shining directly into my bedrooms and lighting up the whole side of my house. I cannot observe from my front yard because of these lights and destroys my view of the western sky. Like this week when I'm trying to see the 3 planets line up!

He installed two half shields for a test and they helped some, but need more.

Bob

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Need photos of dark sky friendly lighting installs new [Re: REC]
      #5893900 - 05/31/13 09:56 AM

Here's a recent CN thread (with pictures) showing the benefit of full-cutoff streetlights. Since the pictures in that thread (in the "General Observing" forum) were taken by me of the immediate vicinity of my own house, you have permission to use them for your "dark sky installs" project. You'll find the "night view" picture in about the fourth or fifth post down especially useful.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 972

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics