Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
JimP
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/03

Loc: South Carolina
lightweight GOTO mount
      #5869122 - 05/18/13 10:47 AM

I have just ordered an AP 130 GT which should arrive in August (afte 10 years that seems like a long time :^). I have a Machl mount on an ATS pier and would like a second lightwieght mount with GOTO features. Double stars will be of primary interest so any lightweight GOTO with a large double star list would be perfect. Recommendations?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: lightweight GOTO mount new [Re: JimP]
      #5869641 - 05/18/13 04:05 PM

I don't know how many double stars are 'enough', but the iEQ30 would be a good match for the 17# AP 130 GT.

You can see the double star list in the iEQ30 manual. All the go-to objects are listed at the bottom of the Pdf manual. There are 210 binary stars listed in Appendix E.

Hope the info helps,

Paul

ASTERON
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: ISRAEL
Re: lightweight GOTO mount new [Re: Astronewb]
      #5869672 - 05/18/13 04:20 PM

Hi James,
congratulation for your new refractor. I don't have a specific mount to recommend but before you buy make sure the controller has a sufficiently large number of user entered objects. This way you can add double star RA and DEC values from any list or book of double stars and build your own favorite doubles list in addition to whatever list of doubles the controller already has.
Additionally, if the mount can be driven by a planetarium program like sky safari and the like, you're set with doubles for a lifetime ( at the cost of having to schlepp and power a laptop with your astro gear ).
Enjoy the new scope.

Madratter
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/13

Re: lightweight GOTO mount new [Re: ASTERON]
      #5869770 - 05/18/13 05:25 PM

Along the lines of running from a laptop, you might want to look into Sky Tool 3 Pro. That will give you LOTS of double stars. For example, I just had it create me a list of multiple stars in the Constellation of Virgo with a separation of between 1 and 5 seconds of an arc. It just gave me a list of 326 such stars. The brightest was magnitude 2.6 (Porrima). The faintest was magnitude 14.7 (LDS6259A). The magnitude difference was from zero to 7.9. There were various filters (like magnitude difference) I could have used.

If you have the pro version, and a mount that it can connect to, you could automatically go to any of them.

Edited by Madratter (05/18/13 07:56 PM)

JimP
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/03

Loc: South Carolina
Re: lightweight GOTO mount new [Re: Madratter]
      #5869778 - 05/18/13 05:34 PM

That is amazing!!

dhaval
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/21/08

Loc: Round Rock, TX
Re: lightweight GOTO mount new [Re: JimP]
      #5869858 - 05/18/13 06:06 PM

Hi Jim -
I am going to let my iEQ45 go - I just bought it, have not taken it under the stars yet. Let me know if you might be interested. This is a 25lbs mount - not sure if that can be termed lightweight or not, but very easy to carry it out (I ordered it with the case) and setup as well, given the wonderful PA feature using the polar scope.

Dhaval

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: lightweight GOTO mount new [Re: dhaval]
      #5870177 - 05/18/13 08:41 PM

Quote:

Hi Jim -
I am going to let my iEQ45 go - I just bought it, have not taken it under the stars yet. Let me know if you might be interested. This is a 25lbs mount - not sure if that can be termed lightweight or not, but very easy to carry it out (I ordered it with the case) and setup as well, given the wonderful PA feature using the polar scope.

Dhaval

Dhaval,

Just curious why you are letting the iEQ45 go so soon. I'm looking at a ZEQ25 or an iEQ30 and would like to know what went wrong with you and the mount.

dhaval
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/21/08

Loc: Round Rock, TX
Re: lightweight GOTO mount new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5870248 - 05/18/13 09:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Jim -

Dhaval

Dhaval,

Just curious why you are letting the iEQ45 go so soon. I'm looking at a ZEQ25 or an iEQ30 and would like to know what went wrong with you and the mount.

Mike,
To be honest, I haven't taken it out just yet, so even if there was anything wrong, I wouldn't have known!! I bought the iEQ45 primarily for the nice Polarscope and the easy PA routine. Also, this is the newer model, with the improved gear, so I am guessing it will serve well for AP.

That being said, I just got in touch with someone who is looking to sell their Mach1 and I am thinking, maybe I should just buy the Mach1 - but that is expensive, even a used one costs around $7K with the RAPAS upgrade (the RAPAS upgrade puts you back by $470, but delivers the same functionality as the TAK polarscope).

Dhaval

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: lightweight GOTO mount new [Re: dhaval]
      #5870360 - 05/18/13 10:06 PM

I guess if I had the chance (and money!) to pick up a Mach1, I'd go that way over the iEQ45. The ioptron mounts (25, 30 and 45) do look as if they all would be good for AP for someone starting out like me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 433

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics