Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1
AdirondackAstro
sage

Reged: 06/06/11

Loc: Plattsburgh, NY
Guiding using stock finder scope?
      #5869527 - 05/18/13 03:03 PM

I have an Omni XLT 150 reflector that came stock with a 6x30 finder. You can't remove the eyepiece or fit a 1.25" eyepiece, or camera in this. Would I be able to somehow attach a webcam to this and use it for guiding, or would I have to invest in a finder scope that would allow me to insert a 1.25" eyepiece?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Madratter
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/13

Re: Guiding using stock finder scope? new [Re: AdirondackAstro]
      #5869703 - 05/18/13 04:38 PM

You might be able to jury rig something by taking the end off the finder near the eyepiece and sticking a camera in there. But honestly, if you are doing planetary photography, you don't need to guide, and if you are doing DSO, things are going to get a lot more expensive than the cost of a proper guide scope.

AdirondackAstro
sage

Re: Guiding using stock finder scope? new [Re: Madratter]
      #5870083 - 05/18/13 08:17 PM

I have come across a hack to allow guiding with my cg-4 and it's motor drives, and have been considering it, but not completely sure I'll benefit much from it. Currently getting pretty good images (considering the setup) at 2 minutes, and the light pollution makes it hard to go much past that, so guiding isn't too beneficial at the moment. May play around with your idea and see if I can fix it to the finder scope.

Madratter
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/13

#5870277 - 05/18/13 09:23 PM

If you do take the end off the finder scope, you will find that you will need to extend from there quite a bit with something to get most cameras you might use to come to focus (I assume you'll use something like a webcam).

AdirondackAstro
sage

Re: Guiding using stock finder scope? new [Re: Madratter]
      #5870581 - 05/19/13 12:37 AM

Yeah I'll be using a webcam, a logitech fusion. I figured I'd have to extend the back quite a bit to achieve focus.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#5870701 - 05/19/13 03:19 AM

There are adaptors to allow a guide camera to be used with a finder but I think they are more usually for bigger finders such as the 9x50.

Otherwise taking the eyepiece off and making something with plumbing parts may be worth trying for little expense in anything but time.

Chris

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, fishonkevin, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 206

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics