Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Itz marcus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Cg5 question/comment new
      #5846403 - 05/07/13 07:14 PM

Hi,
I just bought a cg5 and I am so far very happy with it. That being said when rotating on the Ra axis one side is so tight that even when completely unbalanced and unlocked it doesn't move swing or move unless I move it. I balance it on the other side. Any idea what this is? It doesn't affect traking or goto.
Also, I think that it is more clumsy to carry than the svp mount. The svp mount has a leg right in front of due north so it is easy to carry it with the counterweight. The cg5 has its legs on either side of north (I guess nw and ne) when picking it up the weight makes it quite heavy.
I hope I've described clearly what I've experienced.
Clear skies
Itz

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Cg5 question/comment new [Re: Itz marcus]
      #5846420 - 05/07/13 07:23 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Also, I think that it is more clumsy to carry than the svp mount. The svp mount has a leg right in front of due north so it is easy to carry it with the counterweight. The cg5 has its legs on either side of north (I guess nw and ne) when picking it up the weight makes it quite heavy.
I hope I've described clearly what I've experienced.
Clear skies
Itz

On the top of the tripod, before installing the mount, there is a pin that is screwed into the top. If you unscrew this pin and screw it into the other hole on the top, the counterweight shaft will be positioned over the "north" leg.

Don Taylor
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: South TEXAS
      #5846751 - 05/07/13 10:16 PM

Mine is tighter on one side s the other too. I've not gotten to taking it apart to investigate yet.

And I second Mike K's comment about the azimuth peg. Easy to move. I guess it works better the way it is shipped if you are a low latitudes. I reversed mine so the north end is over a leg.

Itz marcus
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cg5 question/comment new [Re: Don Taylor]
      #5846777 - 05/07/13 10:28 PM

Thanx guys i just moved the peg.
Clear skies
Itz

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5848552 - 05/08/13 07:40 PM

The stiffness is probably due a poor fit of the worm wheel/clutch drum in the RA housing casting. If it doesn't effect tracking (it's locked in place when the clutch is engaged) it's not critical. Makes getting the balance right a PITA, but the solution is a tear down and lapping it to a good fit.

I've seen them so bad they can't be separated without 30 minutes in the oven.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Cg5 question/comment new [Re: Geo.]
      #5851088 - 05/09/13 10:43 PM

Quote:

The stiffness is probably due a poor fit of the worm wheel/clutch drum in the RA housing casting. If it doesn't effect tracking (it's locked in place when the clutch is engaged) it's not critical. Makes getting the balance right a PITA, but the solution is a tear down and lapping it to a good fit.

I've seen them so bad they can't be separated without 30 minutes in the oven.

This is the most common issue with mounts of this basic design. It is a fit and finish issue that can be minimized to a great extent on the RA, but requires complete disassembly of the mount to take care of it.

Itz marcus
Pooh-Bah

Re: Cg5 question/comment [Re: EFT]
      #5870488 - 05/18/13 11:20 PM

Hi,
Now I can say that I'm very happy with the mount. It tracks well. I had Saturn in it for a couple of hours. The Ra is VERY smoothe now. I guess it just had to be used. I am happy with the purchase.
Clear skies
Itz

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 515

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics