Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar Observing and Imaging

Pages: 1
Fish
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/13/07

Loc: Norridgewock, ME
B1200 Potential Issue
      #5872402 - 05/19/13 08:28 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

Good evening boys & girls,

Well, this was unexpected. I removed the B1200 Ha blocking filter from the observatory scope today and noticed this on the output (scope) side.

My questions are:
--> Anybody else seen this? It's more of a cloudy deposit than a "rust" and in the inside of the diagonal.
--> Is there an easy, safe way to get in? I see 2 hex set screws on the side.
--> I can't see how this wouldn't affect the performance of the scope as this must degrade the image.

Big surprise, I'm not all that pleased over this and hope it may be resolved simply.

Regards, Marc

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bob71741
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/16/08

Re: B1200 Potential Issue *DELETED* new [Re: Fish]
      #5872760 - 05/19/13 10:55 PM

Post deleted by bob71741

DavidM
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/25/06

Loc: Perth, Australia
Re: B1200 Potential Issue new [Re: bob71741]
      #5873196 - 05/20/13 08:04 AM

Yep, had this problem with a B1200 and B1800. Possibly both were from the same batch. Lunt replaced them, no problems. This reminds me, I need to check the blocking filter again to make sure it hasn't happened again.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=solar&...

Fish
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/13/07

Loc: Norridgewock, ME
Re: B1200 Potential Issue new [Re: DavidM]
      #5874319 - 05/20/13 05:51 PM

Update!!

I spoke with Rikki. She is sending me a replacement glass for the filter. After speaking with her I feel the swap out is easy enough to avoid shipping the entire BF.

Now that's good customer service!

Marc

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
Re: B1200 Potential Issue new [Re: Fish]
      #5874589 - 05/20/13 08:25 PM

Yes I've seen it on my 2009 Lunt 60's B1200. There's no easy fix. As I recall it is rust. It does ideed degrade the image like a very hazy day. At any rate the only cure is new glass from Lunt. I'd be interested in seeing how you swap the glass if you feel like posting it. Save people some postage what with not having to send the diagonal back like I did. David

Edited by dscarpa (05/20/13 08:34 PM)

BYoesle
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA
Re: B1200 Potential Issue new [Re: dscarpa]
      #5875746 - 05/21/13 12:24 PM

That's good news Marc!

Quote:

As I recall it is rust.

I'm not so sure I'd call it "rust." "Rust" is what occurred with the Coronado Induced Transmission Filter (ITF) coating, which is an IR blocking coating using metallic silver and other materials to block to the far IR. Thermal cycling caused cracks in the filter's epoxy sealant around the edge, which allowed atmospheric moisture to degrade the coating, and therefor deterioration usually proceeded from the edge inward.

This appears different with deterioration towards the center of the filter. I'm not absolutely sure of this, but I believe Lunt has switched to a non-metallic/silver IR blocker - perhaps a KG heat absorbing filter or other material, which has AR coatings. Andy Lunt stated it is the AR coating on these filters that failed - due to processing deficiencies form their filter coater. This occurred with the early filters, and they now have changed filter coaters.

As you could imagine, additional requirements might be needed for the intended use of direct solar thermal exposure. So while the cause might be the same - thermal exposure - the Lunt issue appears to be coating degradation due to direct expsure to thermal energy, while the "rust" of the Coronado ITF was due to moisture deterioration.

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, Phillip Creed 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 338

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics