Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Simon D.

Reged: 01/31/13

Loc: Canada
HEQ5 Pro/Sirius issue
      #5873209 - 05/20/13 08:15 AM

I have a 2 month old Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro mount, and I've run into a problem. In the first few times I used it, it tracked perfectly (I'm doing some astrophotography with it). I had 2 minute exposures, unguided, and nice round stars. On my 4th night out, it stopped tracking well. I was having trouble doing drift polar alignment, and I eventually realized that the mount wasn't tracking in RA. It was falling behind. Now it appears that it doesn't track at all (verified using an illuminated reticle).

The North, South, East, West buttons all work, and it slews as directed...but it doesn't track on it's own. I reset the hand controller and upgraded the firmware, but to no avail. I tried both AC and DC current, no difference. Also, I took the side-plate off to ensure the gears aren't stuck...no issues...I can move them by hand.

Any ideas to try before I send it back to the dealer for warranty work?

Thanks
Simon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: HEQ5 Pro/Sirius issue new [Re: Simon D.]
      #5873633 - 05/20/13 12:27 PM

See if it track in RA w/o the hand control attached.

Simon D.

Reged: 01/31/13

Loc: Canada
      #5873849 - 05/20/13 02:07 PM

Good suggestion. I had thought that t needed the controller to operate and track...do you know if it's supposed to track without it? Thx

groz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/07

Loc: Campbell River, BC
      #5875396 - 05/21/13 09:52 AM

Check the led. If it's on solid, the power is good. If it's blinking, the voltage is low, and the mount will not track properly.

frito
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
Re: HEQ5 Pro/Sirius issue new [Re: groz]
      #5875500 - 05/21/13 10:45 AM

Quote:

Check the led. If it's on solid, the power is good. If it's blinking, the voltage is low, and the mount will not track properly.

yeah and if it blinks while slewing its not balanced very well and you're stressing the motors. my club's Sirius did this one night when we swapped from a 120mm short tube refractor to a AT72ED without adjusting anything, battery pack was fully charged still (or close) after a re-balance and realign it was working without blinking again.

John Carruthers
Skiprat

Reged: 02/02/07

Loc: Kent, UK
      #5875947 - 05/21/13 01:37 PM

might be the motor spur gear grubscrews have come loose? you can check for motion by removing the cover (6 screws) and seeing if the gears are actually driving, not just spinning loose on the motor or worm shaft.

Pages: 1

Extra information
18 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 443

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics