Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
frozen.kryo

Reged: 01/28/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Pulled the Trigger new [Re: Momerath]
      #5859341 - 05/14/13 08:39 AM

I'm 100% sure that's the cge tripod. I have one.

The cgemdx should come with this: cgepro tripod.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Momerath
sage

Reged: 05/31/11

Loc: Upstate SC,
Re: Pulled the Trigger new [Re: frozen.kryo]
      #5859367 - 05/14/13 08:48 AM

Not sure what you are showing there but if it is the cross bars they can be seen in his first picture of the tripod. This is a DX tripod

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
      #5859420 - 05/14/13 09:20 AM

Momerath, frozen.kryo is correct. The tripod I received is most definitely *not* the CGEM DX/Pro unit. It's a different color and a different design. I'd take some more pics if I didn't already have it packed up for its return trip to Adorama.

frozen.kryo

#5859426 - 05/14/13 09:24 AM

Look at the orange feet. The dx's feet are slightly bulbous/rounder. The photo posted by dpippel shows feet that are perfectly conical (not bulbous at all).

I stand my ground. It's a cge tripod.

frozen.kryo

Re: Pulled the Trigger new [Re: dpippel]
      #5859430 - 05/14/13 09:26 AM

Quote:

Momerath, frozen.kryo is correct. The tripod I received is most definitely *not* the CGEM DX/Pro unit. It's a different color and a different design. I'd take some more pics if I didn't already have it packed up for its return trip to Adorama.

Thank you!

Dpippel,

I'm sure you'll get sorted out. Congrats with the new equipment! I'm envious of your edgehd!

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#5859451 - 05/14/13 09:36 AM

Thanks. I'm sure you're not envious of the bill though! This was a huge purchase for me. I've just come back to the hobby after an almost 20 year hiatus. Back in the '80s I observed regularly, had a Celestron C6 reflector, was a member of the AAVSO, and ran an astronomy BBS call The Event Horizon. After moving from the west coast of Florida to Arizona in the early 90s I dropped out of amateur astronomy. I've been dipping my toe in the pool for a couple of years now, and last month picked up an absolutely mint condition 8" Meade LX10 from a local retiree. The bug bit me full-force again after one night behind the eyepiece. So I decided to get a truly modern instrument with more aperture that could serve as a solid AP platform if I decide to go down that road in the future. After a lot of research I finally settled on the CGEM DX 1100 HD and can't wait to get it out under the stars for the first time! Unfortunately there's this little bit of tripod business to sort out first...

frozen.kryo

#5859575 - 05/14/13 10:49 AM

Yes, it's unfortunate with the tripod issue. Nevertheless, it's an excellent instrument. I'm angling for a C11 edge myself.

You mentioned doing AP down the road. Well, just so you know, your wallet will be crying out for mercy. I know mine is.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#5859584 - 05/14/13 10:54 AM

Yeah, I made peace long ago with the fact that most of my hobbies and interests carry a hefty price tag. It's a curse.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
      #5860039 - 05/14/13 02:15 PM

Hahaha, I hear that!
I'm actually getting out of some other hobbies to be able to afford this one. I'm selling my guitars and acoustic drums and two of my competition centerfire rifles. That should more than pay for whatever I need. One rifle paid for my Edge 11 and accessories so far!

Its a good thing that my hobby gear has good resale value!

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Pulled the Trigger new [Re: WesC]
      #5868256 - 05/17/13 10:03 PM

UPDATE: Adorama shipped me a replacement CGEM DX tripod and mount (supposedly) on Tuesday and sent it 3 Day UPS so I could have it in time for my weekend observing trip to Sedona. They informed me that they couldn't ship JUST the tripod because the CGEM DX is sold a kit. So I had to pay for the replacement up front and they said they would refund the second purchase when the used and incorrect tripod was shipped back to them.

Well, the UPS guy stopped by this evening and all he had was the MOUNT. NO TRIPOD! He had ONE pickup order and one return label, so I gave him the original mount to send back to NJ. And here I am, STILL stuck with a used, old CGE model tripod and unable to use my new C11 on the last weekend before full moon. Adorama screws up AGAIN.

I'm about done with this. I emailed them a nasty-gram and am calling first thing Monday morning (because of course, they were closed by the time delivery was made and are not open on Saturday) to get this straightened out. If they're not willing to overnight a new tripod to me on Monday then at this point the whole shebang is going back at their expense for a full refund. I'll take my business elsewhere. Even if they get this taken care of on Monday I'll never order from them again.

Here I was, looking forward to getting my first modern instrument and mount and seeing the night sky with new eyes through a relatively large aperture scope. Instead the experience has turned into one big negative cluster "f". Looking at this stack of boxes in my office is just plain depressing.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

#5868366 - 05/17/13 10:52 PM

Oh man, WTH! I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

You know I kinda had a poor experience with them recently too. I ordered a Baader clicklock 2" diagonal, which they said they had 6 in stock. 4 days go by and I get an email from them that the item is actually back-ordered and it will take 14-21 days to get it. Um... no.

I cancelled the order and bought from High Point Scientific and got it this morning... 2 days later!

At this point I'm crossing Adorama off of my list until they can get their act together.

Vote with your hard-earned $$$ folks.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#5868371 - 05/17/13 10:56 PM

Apparently there's a good reason you're not allowed to pump your own gasoline in New Jersey...

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#5873915 - 05/20/13 02:58 PM

UPDATE: Adorama is overnighting a CGEM DX tripod to me at their expense for delivery tomorrow morning. I had to speak with a CS supervisor and explain the situation all over AGAIN to get that far. They still wouldn't ship without charging me for the replacement.

I'm not impressed. We'll see if the 3rd time's the charm. Perhaps I'll FINALLY be able to set up my 1100 HD tomorrow night but at this point I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, Adorama has definitely lost a customer.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pulled the Trigger [Re: dpippel]
      #5874321 - 05/20/13 05:51 PM

Good luck, man! We're pulling for ya!

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#5876323 - 05/21/13 04:53 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

FINALLY!!!!!!!

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#5876328 - 05/21/13 04:53 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Setup was very simple...

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#5876332 - 05/21/13 04:56 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

While the entire rig is heavy, the OTA is surprisingly light and easy to handle...

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#5876335 - 05/21/13 04:57 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

I'm impressed with the quality of construction. The mount and controller powered up perfectly the very first time...

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#5876337 - 05/21/13 04:57 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

The OTA...

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#5876338 - 05/21/13 04:58 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Optics exhibit no swirls, dust, marks, or debris with the flashlight test. (I know, shouldn't do it) First light is tonight. Woo-hoo!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2954

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics