Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Cryhav0c

Reged: 04/21/12

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: DrOxygen]
      #5868229 - 05/17/13 09:54 PM

Great info & thanks. Looking forward to your followup! I'm sure everyone here has heard about the Meade buyout/merger? From what i've read this is good news, insuring continued support & development of our scopes. Don't know if this will speed up or further delay reception for those of us whom havent received our scopes. Guess time will tell.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: Cryhav0c]
      #5868329 - 05/17/13 10:37 PM

The Merger isn't official until the stock holders vote to approve it and I believe they said something about July. So I'd have to assume that, other than a few people cleaning out their desks and taking all their vacation time at once, it is business as usual until then.

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5868669 - 05/18/13 02:23 AM

Comment on the focuser - it is a zero image shift focuser. I have experienced no problems.

This is a major thing for me! I found focusing being an art form on my old LX200. It drove me crazy. Everything stays in place on the LX600/LX850 OTA. Peace at last!

Yes, I saw the merger notice. I posted else where. I am all over the map on what to think. Still Meade will be around for a loooong time.

Cryhav0c

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5868851 - 05/18/13 06:35 AM

Good point regarding the vote, Whichway. I'm sensing a 'lull' in shipping it seems. I'm moved to try to tie the two together but obviously have no info to do so. It would seem it's still a waiting game. I'm PO'd @ Meade for making me wait so long but the funny part is there wont be anyone to be angry with left. LoL

Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/11

Loc: New York
Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: EFT]
      #5869133 - 05/18/13 11:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The guy that posted about the 12" he received said it was very stiff and that he was glad he had the Zero shift focuser.

I read that also. My initial thoughts were new mechanical systems are often stiff due to high tolerences and that maybe a little break in period is required.

The thing that caught my attention was that he said there was significant mirror shift. That was not suppose to be the case with new focuser. Did I hear him correctly?

Ed, that's what I thought he was saying as well but further on in the video I got the impression he was actually talking about image shake from touching the focuser knob, not mirror shift.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5869140 - 05/18/13 11:05 AM

Quote:

Comment on the focuser - it is a zero image shift focuser. I have experienced no problems.

This is a major thing for me! I found focusing being an art form on my old LX200. It drove me crazy. Everything stays in place on the LX600/LX850 OTA. Peace at last!

Yes, I saw the merger notice. I posted else where. I am all over the map on what to think. Still Meade will be around for a loooong time.

His comment was on the dual speed primary focuser. He was glad that he had gotten the zero image shift rear cell focuser to compensate for the mirror shift of the primary focuser (note that the zero image shift focuser Meade is using is now at least 10 years old if I remember correctly, my LX200GPS had one). My concern was that the new primary mirror focuser mechanism, the "internal crayford", was specifically designed to eliminate such mirror shift. I thought the new design was a good idea but my concern with the new design was that if it is not implemented correctly (i.e., with high precision) that it could actually be worse than the standard SCT focuser design. If his primary mirror focuser has a lot of shift and others don't, then I would conclude that his is defective which might make sense considering the shape of the OTA he received.

The merger may be good for Meade stock holders and maybe Meade customers, but it is sad to see Meade going the way of Celestron. At least Meade was still a US company.

Griffin!
sage

Reged: 09/12/10

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: Mike7Mak]
      #5869152 - 05/18/13 11:33 AM

Quote:

Ed, that's what I thought he was saying as well but further on in the video I got the impression he was actually talking about image shake from touching the focuser knob, not mirror shift.

That's what I got out of it. I think he was complaining that when mounted on the wedge that when you focus the scope itself moves...and so the image moved.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5869160 - 05/18/13 11:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The guy that posted about the 12" he received said it was very stiff and that he was glad he had the Zero shift focuser.

I read that also. My initial thoughts were new mechanical systems are often stiff due to high tolerences and that maybe a little break in period is required.

The thing that caught my attention was that he said there was significant mirror shift. That was not suppose to be the case with new focuser. Did I hear him correctly?

I guess that I will have to go back and watch it again. I hope that the new design works well because it will be a good improvement to the basic SCT design.

Bluto69

Reged: 05/26/12

Loc: South Central Wisconsin
Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: EFT]
      #5870424 - 05/18/13 10:25 PM

I just can't seem to get a break. Forecast for to night was clear skies. Got the hopes up when I started to see blue skies before sunset. Just went outside to check. More clouds moving in and the satellite picture shows no clearing anytime soon. I have had my LX600 for over a week now and haven't had it out once. Clouds and rain in the forecast through Thursday. Oh well!

Terry

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#5870442 - 05/18/13 10:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's what I experience as well.

Cryhav0c

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5874464 - 05/20/13 07:07 PM

Wonder how many 10"er's are out now? Telescopes.com called today & said they had mine ready to ship. Hopefully it will go out tomorrow. Dont know why it doesnt show shipped today. I plan to try to video its initial unpacking & initial setup.

Bluto69

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: Cryhav0c]
      #5874834 - 05/20/13 10:17 PM

Almost had mine out tonight. However, the next storm front was coming in too fast. Thursday night is predicted to clear up.

Terry

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped [Re: Bluto69]
      #5874841 - 05/20/13 10:23 PM

Just for info, what is the firmware version in the scopes???

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Bluto69

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5875384 - 05/21/13 09:44 AM

Andrew,
I have version 1.1e

Terry

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: Bluto69]
      #5876353 - 05/21/13 05:04 PM

Gday Terry

Ooohh, i was expecting them to extend the old 4.2g, but 1.1e sounds more like the LX850 code numbering .
Just for info, does it still have SMT and Satellites functionality???
I haven't got a copy of the firmware yet, so cant tell.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Bluto69

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5877579 - 05/22/13 09:08 AM

Andrew,

I don't see anything in the manual about SMT. Doesn't mean it isn't there. I will check the next time I fire up the LX600. The manual still has satellite section but I have not done anything with that yet.

Terry

Bluto69

#5877601 - 05/22/13 09:22 AM

I did get to set up the LX600 outside last night for the first time. Here are a few pics.

This is my son doing a rough align.

This is the first photo. My son took it with his 7D.

Here is a pic of M13.
Canon 7D
120 seconds
ISO 800
Used APT (First timed I used it. Don't know what I am doing yet.)
Moon a few days away from being full. Lots of humidity. In a red zone, too.
Yes I know there are star trails. Lots of sky glow. No PEC training and no drift aligning performed.

Edited by Bluto69 (05/22/13 09:23 AM)

Bluto69

#5877611 - 05/22/13 09:29 AM

Used HPP with the Starlock and it put things pretty much dead center. When doing a goto to the moon the Starlock actually tries to find the center. I need to play with the Starlock utility a bit because I could not figure out how to bring up a view of what the Starlock was seeing.

Terry

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#5878005 - 05/22/13 01:08 PM

Quote:

Used HPP with the Starlock and it put things pretty much dead center. When doing a goto to the moon the Starlock actually tries to find the center. I need to play with the Starlock utility a bit because I could not figure out how to bring up a view of what the Starlock was seeing.

Terry

Plug the r232 cable into the back of the Starlock. The com port will be the same as if it were connected directly to the telescope. In fact, you can control the telescope through Starlock.

Bring up the utility. Select com port and then click on the option you want. Focus downloads "still" shots so you can tweak focus if you think it is off. Watch just shows a live view of what Starlock is tracking. Histogram shows the corrections. And Point spread function shows you the star as it tracks and lets you see if it is out of round and in which direction.

bigj

Reged: 05/07/13

#5878034 - 05/22/13 01:19 PM

Very nice pics
enjoy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4144

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics