Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
My Restored Meade 10 f/6.3 LX6
      #5874847 - 05/20/13 10:27 PM Attachment (71 downloads)

Im just about finished restoring this Meade 10 f/6.3 LX6 to its fully operational condition. The coatings are in perfect shape and structurally everything is fine. The R.A. drive hums right along and the slow motion controls are smooth and solid. The new additions are the Meade Super Wedge and Giant Field Tripod (thanks Doug!). This picture doesnt do it justice, but this thing is a beast! I thought that the Atlas was heavy! Fortunately, the scope slides right off of the wedge and the hand truck that I use to move my Atlas also works with this tripod with the wedge attached. Optically this is proving to be a fine visual instrument. Having it up on a wedge where I can use the drive has made it very comfortable to use. The drive is fine for visual, but not quite up to snuff for imaging. Thats okay since I already have some fine imaging gear. My Orion binoviewers work wonderfully on this scope. The last item I want to tackle is adding an optical finder. Im either going to remount the original 50mm finder or an ETX-60 that the original owner also had mounted on it. Im leaning towards the ETX, but either way I want it to be easy to install and remove.

Fun stuff.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: My Restored Meade 10 f/6.3 LX6 new [Re: jgraham]
      #5874854 - 05/20/13 10:33 PM

Very nice!

Starman27Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/06

Loc: Illinois, Iowa
Re: My Restored Meade 10 f/6.3 LX6 new [Re: dpippel]
      #5875331 - 05/21/13 08:39 AM

Good job.

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/04

Loc: pa 19320
      #5875342 - 05/21/13 08:55 AM

Nice...those Meade Giant field tripods are exceptional!! Adding the super wedge probably makes this one rock solid mounting system

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: My Restored Meade 10 f/6.3 LX6 new [Re: bob midiri]
      #5875429 - 05/21/13 10:13 AM

Sweet! This was one of my most wanted scopes of the late 80s - early 90s. Never did get around to buying one, but sometimes I still think about looking for a used example. Congrats!

jgraham
Postmaster

Re: My Restored Meade 10 f/6.3 LX6 new [Re: rmollise]
      #5882630 - 05/24/13 04:14 PM

Thanks! Yeah, its fun having an opportunity to finally own a scope that was unobtainable in my youth. I'm still hoping to grab an early C-8 one of these days, just to have one. I was kinda nervous about the LX6 as I've heard that the optics were iffy, but this one is absolutely superb. I've been splitting double stars with it and it has done a wonderful job. Having it up on a wedge where I can use its drive has also made it a very comfortable visual scope. The previous owner also installed Bob's Knobs which has made keeping it in alignment a snap. When you spend a lot of time splitting doubles you get real picky about the diffraction rings. I also made a Bahtinov mask for it. This takes all the guesswork out of setting the best possible focus which is real important for one of these older SCTs where the image shift can drive you crazy if you are constantly fiddling with it. With the mask I set it and forget it.

Have fun!

jgraham
Postmaster

#5922600 - 06/15/13 05:43 PM

Curiouser and curiouser... the standard LX6s were f/6.3, which would give my 10" a focal length of 63", 17" shorter than my 8" f/10. However, as I started taking images with my LX6 the image scale struck me as being larger than my SC8, not smaller. Today I compared images of M57 taken with both scopes and yep, the image scale taken through the LX6 is much larger than through the SC8. This means that this LX6 is an f/10 not f/6.3, making it a late production Premier edition LX6. Cool beans. I was wanting a little more focal length for imaging small planetary nebula. I also happen to have an f/6.3 focal reducer.

Is this a great hobby or what!?

-John

Brian Risley
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/04/06

Loc: SW Florida
      #5922794 - 06/15/13 08:17 PM

Doesn't your corrector cell have FL info?
Mine does.
Brian

jgraham
Postmaster

Re: My Restored Meade 10 f/6.3 LX6 new [Re: Brian Risley]
      #5922921 - 06/15/13 09:58 PM

No, that is the first thing that I checked. It has neither the focal length nor f/ratio. Oh well, since I have an f/6.3 focal reducer I can go either way.

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 723

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics