Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
Daniel Warner
journeyman

Reged: 05/03/09

Celestron 80 mm F 7.5 ED Light baffles new
      #5874383 - 05/20/13 06:35 PM

Hi all,
I just took my Celestron 80 ed down to the shop to be powder
coated .while I was at the shop one of the baffles fell out of the optical tube. Its the one that has the largest diameter hole in it and im sure that would be the one that is the furthest away from the focuser does anyone know how far ( in inches ) that this baffle needs to be placed from
the objective lens ?
Thanks any help.
Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rich V.
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA
Re: Celestron 80 mm F 7.5 ED Light baffles new [Re: Daniel Warner]
      #5874418 - 05/20/13 06:47 PM

In some scopes the baffles are just pressed into position. Perhaps if you are lucky you will see some marks left in the tube's interior paint that indicate the original position of the baffle.

Good luck,

Rich

Daniel Warner
journeyman

Reged: 05/03/09

Re: Celestron 80 mm F 7.5 ED Light baffles new [Re: Rich V.]
      #5874835 - 05/20/13 10:17 PM

Hi Rich,
Thanks allot for your help, when I get the scope back ill check
Maybe ill get lucky and find those marks
Cheers,
Dan

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Celestron 80 mm F 7.5 ED Light baffles [Re: Daniel Warner]
      #5875014 - 05/21/13 12:04 AM

This is certainly the baffle closest to the objective; they always taper to smaller opening size the closer they get to the rear.

You can do as I did when making up a modified OTA. While looking into the focuser, with your eye near to the focal plane, place the baffle so that it meets, as closely as possible, these two conditions:

- It blocks any direct view of the tube's inner wall between baffle #2 and the objective cell, as viewed from the opposite side of the focuser opening.
- Its edge lines up with the following baffle edges, as viewed from near the same side of the focuser opening.

For the first condition, the objective cell *may* provide some degree of shadowing on the portion of the tube wall nearest to it, depending on cell size with respect to tube I.D. If this is the case, only the tube wall portion which can be illuminated by oblique light getting through the lens shade is of concern.

To understand which factors matter here, try to find a diagram which shows in cross section a schematic of a baffled tubes that includes the relevant shadow zones and sight lines.

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 290

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics