Observing >> Double Star Observing

Pages: 1
JimP
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/03

Loc: South Carolina
My New Double Star scope new
      #5869134 - 05/18/13 11:01 AM

After being on the list for 10 years I just ordered an AP 130 GT. It will arrive in August. I have other, larger scopes and for a while I thought about not buying it. But, then the thought of using it for visual observations of double stars hit me. M I can see it now, me, with my copy of "Pleasures of the Telescope" by Garrett Serviss and a fine 5" refractor.

Chapter 1
The selection and testing of a glass:

" If the pure and elevated pleasure to be derived from the possession and use of a good telescope of three, four, five, or six inches aperture were generally known, I am certain that no instrument of science would be more commonly found in the homes of intelligent people."

Chapter II:

In the Starry Heavens

"Let us imagine ourselves the happy possessors of three properly mounted telescopes of five, four, and three inches aperture, respectively..."

Any recommendations for a Lightweight portable GOTO mount?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
R Botero
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Kent, England
Re: My New Double Star scope new [Re: JimP]
      #5869306 - 05/18/13 01:17 PM

Jim

Congratulations on the new AP! I'm the owner of a 1991 6" AP and just love it for double star observing.

I use a SkyWatcher NEQ6 Pro mount. Not precisely portable but very accurate and extremely reliable. For your AP130 you could try a HEQ5 which is lighter but should handle the 5" fine.

Just a thought. Enjoy the AP!

Roberto

WRAK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/18/12

Loc: Vienna, Austria, Europe
Re: My New Double Star scope new [Re: R Botero]
      #5869573 - 05/18/13 03:28 PM

An 130mm AP refractor is certainly first choice for double star observing. For the pure pleasure of observing doubles you may find GoTo not this necessary and prefer an alt/az mount like the Nove Hitch - for easier finding fainter stars may be with DSC and Sky Commander.
Wilfried

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #5870887 - 05/19/13 08:44 AM

Jim,

Congrats! I'm sure you will enjoy this scope.

When my name finally bubbles up to the top of the list (hoping for next time), the A-P 130 is light enough to use on my GM-8 mount. I use SkyWire and Sky Safari to control it and it's a very nice set up with my Traveler.

Cheers,

Ron

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5877467 - 05/22/13 07:36 AM

Quote:

After being on the list for 10 years I just ordered an AP 130 GT. It will arrive in August. I have other, larger scopes and for a while I thought about not buying it. But, then the thought of using it for visual observations of double stars hit me. M I can see it now, me, with my copy of "Pleasures of the Telescope" by Garrett Serviss and a fine 5" refractor.

Chapter 1
The selection and testing of a glass:

" If the pure and elevated pleasure to be derived from the possession and use of a good telescope of three, four, five, or six inches aperture were generally known, I am certain that no instrument of science would be more commonly found in the homes of intelligent people."

Chapter II:

In the Starry Heavens

"Let us imagine ourselves the happy possessors of three properly mounted telescopes of five, four, and three inches aperture, respectively..."

Any recommendations for a Lightweight portable GOTO mount?

Well amateur astronomy has advanced a great deal since 1901 and these days intelligent people often have some pretty large aperture. That said the 130 out to do fine on doubles and planets as well.

Pete

PJ AnwayModerator
Double-Star Observer

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: North Coast
Re: My New Double Star scope [Re: JimP]
      #5877525 - 05/22/13 08:30 AM

Jim -
Congrats on the new scope! Fine choice for double stars.

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  PJ Anway, Rich (RLTYS), rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 717

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics