Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Losmandy Customer Service
      #5880018 - 05/23/13 11:21 AM

I just had to say this. Many of you have been looking at my mount saga. The issue I have been facing was due to a damaged worm gear that was replaced. After replacing it, the PE was so smooth it was amazing, but it was still large. That I believe is mostly due to the spacing and my ability to understand the adjustment mechanism.

What I am here to talk about is the amazing customer service experience I have had from them. I don't need dress it up, I'll just state it as it is.

-My motors burnt out after more than a year from purchasing the motor. This was because my bad worm adjustment had jammed the gearbox leading to the motors drawing too much current. Both my motors where replaced with the new model high torque motors free of charge!

-My hand box died on me around 2 years after purchase. I opened it to check for loose connections and in the process physically damaged it. They just informed me that they are replacing it free of charge and they wanted to send me a memory stick with the latest firmware for the main unit.

People talk about astrophysics service, I do believe that it is good, but honestly, Losmandy service has far exceeded my expectations compared to all other Astronomy Companies I have ever dealt with. I figure that if they where to update the G11 to a more modern design, they will dominate the market.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
terry59
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/18/11

Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Losmandy Customer Service new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5880054 - 05/23/13 11:41 AM

I love reading posts like this. Thanks for doing it. Quality service like this dictates where I spend my astrobucks.I hope that you are finally problem free with this fix

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: N of Tampa
      #5880094 - 05/23/13 12:06 PM

Hilmi
I totally agree,Losmandy G11-G2 is a fine mount and has been around forever.The newer ones have had small upgrades that just make them better..The new stronger motors are super and has made a big difference in moving my C14 around.
There are many mounts doing there job for well over 10 years with outstanding service from a company that cares.
Still a great USA product at a reasonable price..
Addng a 14" Dovetail Saddle(casady)was also a great improvement.(USA)Its nice to deal with people that care.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Losmandy Customer Service new [Re: mega256]
      #5880354 - 05/23/13 02:16 PM

Bob,

Honestly, I feel the G11 is due for a major refresh to catch up with modern mount design. It needs a new gearbox that is more durable, it also needs a motor layout that would allow the motor to have a lower profile against the body. I would then work on modernizing the worm block, if the worm block was good (even the OPWB), there would not be a market for the Ovision worm. On the other hand, the service is second to non. Best customer service I have had ever.

I know some American companies that don't provide good service. My experience from Meade can vouch for that. I think we should give credit where credit is due. Losmandy provides great customer service.

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #5880728 - 05/23/13 04:49 PM

Thanks for posting this. Scott and Russell have always been very responsive and helpful to any of my questions. My little GM-8 has been around the world at least once and still performs as well as the day it was new. Of course, it has a lot of new pieces inside, too.

I am not excited about the gear and motor layout - but these can also be easily field-serviced by me! I guess there are trade-offs we have to accept sometimes.

Cheers,

Ron

JSeay86
sage

Reged: 04/26/09

Loc: Tulsa, OK
Re: Losmandy Customer Service new [Re: RAKing]
      #5881318 - 05/23/13 11:06 PM

I'll second this Hilmi..I had an accident at the Nebraska Star Party that damaged my hand controllers screen to the point it was unusable. I notified Scott, and he told me to send it in. A week or two later I received it back looking like new, and I tried to offer payment for the fix but he didn't accept. Great customer service in my experience.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Losmandy Customer Service new [Re: JSeay86]
      #5881431 - 05/24/13 12:27 AM

Thank you for posting this. It's very refreshing to know that there are still good companies out there! I never owned a Losmandy product, save a dovetail bar, but hearing this gives me great confidence if I ever were to purchase from them.

Andy

Ed Wiley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: Losmandy Customer Service new [Re: JSeay86]
      #5881435 - 05/24/13 12:29 AM

Scott and Russel have always provided outstanding service and quick responses to my email questions. The new motors on my retrofit Gemini II run great and the Gemini frequently puts the target in the FOV of a 15mm eyepiece on the C11 (its rare not to acquire the target in a 24mm Pan). As to the worm, I fitted an OVision. Great worm and useful to me because I do a lot of very high resolution unguided work. However for most applications I found the stock worm (15 arcsec peak to peak) fine as the error was very smooth and easily guided out. Humm lets see -- G11 with Gemini II and Ovision <4K, Mach1 >6K. No, I am not claiming that the two mounts are equal nor do I doubt the quality v. price of the Mach1 having seen them in action, but you get a lot for the money with a G11 and it is a big $$ step to the Mach1.

Ed

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
Re: Losmandy Customer Service new [Re: Ed Wiley]
      #5882519 - 05/24/13 03:12 PM

My turn!
I bought the OPW for my G11 and dropped the worm onto concrete. Needless to say it was toast, but Scott replaced it free. As it turned out it was part of the batch of bad worms that got farmed out.
Then I bought a used HGM-200 for more load capacity (I'm the 2nd-3rd owner) that needed some bearings, a worm, cleaned & lubed. The HGM-200 is the older brother to the Titan & hasn't been made in a long time. It is completely different from the G11 that I was used to working on. Much more complex & not a intuitive design. I fairly handy (I've built a car from the frame up including the engine.) but was baffled by some aspects of the deconstruction. Not only was I able to speak directly with Russell and Scott but they were able to explain how to take it apart & put it back together. They had the parts I needed in stock, but they were able to make a set of brass worms for me. I already had the stainless steel worms but, I prefer brass with aluminum, as opposed steel with aluminum. (Brass is a softer metal than the anodized aluminum & won't grind the worm wheel. The Brass worm will malleate itself to conform with the anodized aluminum. This used to be done by lapping the worm to the worm wheel using Jewelers rouge.) They didn't charge me for the bearings & the worms were only $65 per.
This was pretty amazing esp. since the worms are at least twice the size of the G11 worms & were custom made. Say what you will about the QC of the mounts they make because there are some problems, but their CS is 1st rate. Does the G8,11 need an updated design? Maybe, it was/is a revolutionary mount that brought a truly high quality mid weight class mount to the masses. There is no other mount that fills the same weight/tracking class as the G8/G11/Titan range for the same price. It does require that the owner/user bring it into a fine adjustment.
I think Hilmi & I got some of the bad batch of worms that had been farmed out, I when I bought the OPW that I destroyed.
What is also amazing is that you can pick up the phone & actually get Scott, or Russell on the phone & they know what you're talking about and can really help. You need to rethink time zones though as Hilmi found out. Nice to see in this age of brainless twits that wouldn't know what a telescope is much less be able to discuss the quirks of a particular model.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5882624 - 05/24/13 04:12 PM

My experience with Losmandy has been good as well. When I had my G11 I had a minor issue, can't even remember what it was, called and spoke with Scott's wife. He was out of town but she contacted him, got an answer for me, and called me back that same afternoon.

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Losmandy Customer Service new [Re: Paul G]
      #5883390 - 05/25/13 01:03 AM

Hi,
I agree Hilmi, Losmandy has great service. I was not happy with Meade's or Celestron's service departments. When I contacted Scott with my problem I expected to get the run around like I got from Meade and Celestron, but it wasn't like that at all. He is real nice and easy to talk to. I explained my problem and he said he would send the part I needed. No hassles or red tape. And he never made me send my whole mount back and make me wait for weeks or months like the others do. He sent the part I needed right away and I was back under the stars in no time.

neilson

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 778

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics