Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: tjspelich]
      #5877535 - 05/22/13 08:37 AM

My first concerted effort to find a Galaxy was M31, about 5 years ago. Used my 78mm 25x spotting scope on a light weight camera tripod. Saw an elongated fuzzy smudge.

Decided I needed to get a real telescope after that so I could see it better.

Little did I know that even after getting increasingly larger scopes that itís still an elongated fuzzy patch!

None the less, itís been a fun trip. But now Iíve got a 10Ē Dob thatís optically as good as can be thatíll likely end up being the biggest Iíll ever own. But I've still got a lifetimes supply of targets to find!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: BSJ]
      #5878087 - 05/22/13 01:45 PM

I do remember watching the Andromeda galaxy form.

So I guess Messier 31.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: N. Ham]
      #5878564 - 05/22/13 05:02 PM

I think mine were M81 and M82.

Bill Boublitz

Reged: 05/04/13

Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5878752 - 05/22/13 06:05 PM

Not counting the Milky Way, M31 through binoculars and naked eye.

Telescopically, (here's where it gets good); the second galaxy was... NGC 3521 in Leo! Right... I was a proud novice with my first instrument and had been poking around the belly of Leo looking for who knows what, when I accidentally bumped the scope and it serendipitously centered 3521 in the FOV. True. I had to go inside and look it up on the charts. I still observe it every year just for the laugh and smiles.

ensign
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: Bill Boublitz]
      #5879035 - 05/22/13 08:40 PM

NGC891 naked eye from urban light pollution.

OK, like nearly everyone else, M31 with a 4" achromat from my suburban back yard. It was a pretty exciting find!

JIMZ7
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/22/05

Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: ensign]
      #5880283 - 05/23/13 01:45 PM

I would say it was M-31/M-32 with a 6" f/4 homemade reflector. This scope was purchased back in the mid 1960's at Polaris Telescope Shop in Dearborn Michigan. I lived in Detroit then & the skies were much darker than the suburban skies now.

Jim

Tyranthrax
sage

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? [Re: JIMZ7]
      #5880490 - 05/23/13 03:17 PM

M104 Sombrero. . .I don't know why it was the first one I saw when I tried scrolling through the list of DSO's on the controller and I like nachos. been hooked ever since

Bill Boublitz

Reged: 05/04/13

Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: ensign]
      #5888517 - 05/28/13 08:56 AM

Hey, Mike... How many satellite Globular Clusters were you able to count on NGC 891 that night?

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
      #5895590 - 06/01/13 07:42 AM

Quote:

I remember being frustrated at not being able to find the horsehead with my 3" reflector way back then. In looking back, I am somewhat ashamed as interested as I was in 1971 in astronomy, that I let high school, girls, college, med school and post doctoral training get in the way of astronomy for so long. I didn't even know what a Messier object was until about 1996! I know that comet Hyutake(sp?) was what got me going again. I think I blundered into an issue of Astronomy or S&T at the local Barnes and Noble, and that was how it got started again for me. I am still not where I want to be in observing and describing what I see to share with others. I really appreciate this message board and those that contribute to it.

Keep it coming.

I too had a couple long periods of waning from the hobby. To busy getting drunk an chasing girls as an undergrad. Later, working at STScI I was racing bicycles and motorbikes, chasing girls again.. Back into it now for a good while.

first other than Milky Way.. M31 then M33 with a 60mm sears and binocs.
M31 was easy naked eye when I was growing up.

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: bremms]
      #5896614 - 06/01/13 07:11 PM

My first galaxy was M81 three nights ago, actually. I didn't plan on being out long, so I had my refractor out. Even with it, I could see the glowing core from my red/white zone. No luck on M82, however.

I keep a log of all my firsts, and this is what I wrote that night:

5/29/13 - FIRST: M81 (Bode's Galaxy) in the Northern sky through Omni XLT 102. Very faint, like a finger print. Glowing core evident.

Edited by StrangeDejavu (06/01/13 07:16 PM)

Aperturefever

Reged: 12/12/10

Loc: Lake Macquarie, Australia
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: StrangeDejavu]
      #5899161 - 06/03/13 08:33 AM

After the Milky Way and Magellanic Clouds, it was Centaurus A as a teenager back in the late 1980s through a 6-inch F5. I was enthralled and, even back then, seemed to understand the scale at which I was looking. It just glowed dimly like an exploded hamburger!

philrod

Reged: 07/19/04

Loc: Fallon, Nevada
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: Aperturefever]
      #5900293 - 06/03/13 06:15 PM

M31 with an Astroscan. I was at Pine Mtn,Oregon, probably summer of 1998. A teenager was using a laser pointer to impress his girlfriend and he showed me where it was. Next thing I knew I had about a dozen people lined up behind me for a look. phil

Sophid

Reged: 06/24/12

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: philrod]
      #5904883 - 06/05/13 10:32 PM

My first aside from the Milky Way was M82... I was so excited, I didn't even notice that M81 was just a nudge of the scope from being in the field of view until later that month.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5919360 - 06/13/13 07:10 PM

Quote:

I have to start at he beginning. Studied astronomy first at age nine. Got a 3 inch reflector from Kmart when I was 10. Technically it was a Newtonian, but that is a smear on the man's name! I did observe Saturn with it which planted a seed in me that germinated with the first bright comet in the mid nineties. Bought a cheap 465 power refractor which was a disaster. Rescued myself with a CG-11. Quite a leap, but I did survive the learning curve. That thing was hard to point for a late 30s beginner with its focal length around over 2200 mm. Frustration ruled my first few outings until one night star hopping in fairly light polluted skies I was just begging the DSO gods for a glimpse of M 51 when I realized I had been staring at it or several minutes. An accidental bump of he scope made it move so that I could see it. Wasn't long before I learned to use the setting circles and then bought some encoders and a celesta on advanced astromaster.

That is my story.

In the summer of 1963, I spotted just about every Messier object in my 4.25" newtonian. I am pretty sure that M31 or M33 was my first galaxy, but it was so long ago......

FeynmanFan
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: N Colo front range
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5919516 - 06/13/13 08:44 PM

M31 in 1958 with a 3" f/10 newt. Dad was stationed at a TAC base about 25-30 miles from downtown Tokyo. The LP was nothing like now, but it was bad enough that M31 wasn't that easy naked eye. Compounding that was direct light from porch lights, and perimeter fence lights. However, the Air Force had thoughtfully provided me with a refuge from those lights in the form of a slit trench leftover from the Korean War. Located about 50' from our quonset, by dragging my rig down there, I was able to escape the lights, although I did lose the horizon.

Fuzzyguy
sage

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Colorado/Kansas
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: FeynmanFan]
      #5919557 - 06/13/13 09:07 PM

M 31 in 1964 with naked eye and then with my Dad's 3.5" Newtonian. I was was 9 and I was hooked!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: Fuzzyguy]
      #5921145 - 06/14/13 07:47 PM

Mine was M-31 with an old pair of 7x50 binoculars. It took me about a month to find it because I was using the map in the center of the Astronomy magazine and I was holding the map wrong not realizing the sky is like a big "DOME". I was 20 years old at the time.

This is what started me into astronomy after I listened to Cygnus X-1 by Rush.

Cheers,

Usquebae

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: 43 N, 73 W
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5929032 - 06/19/13 11:20 AM

I just started learning about the sky this April. When my Z8 arrived April 30, I promptly began pointing it at the brightest things in the sky. (After the sun had set - I knew that much, anyway). First sight was probably Arcturus, not so interesting. Second turned out to be Saturn, 2 days after opposition, rings wide open. And so, a sky junky was born...

My first glimpse of a galaxy - in fact, my first DSO - came the following night when I took aim at the lion's hind thigh and found the Leo Triplet. Wow. Not as shapely as many other objects I've found since, but getting three whole galaxies in the frame at once really captured my imagination.

Jeff Lee
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/06

Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: Usquebae]
      #5934599 - 06/22/13 01:06 PM

1996 C90 M31 and 2 companions.

DJastronomer

Reged: 05/20/13

Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: Jeff Lee]
      #5938168 - 06/24/13 02:45 PM

M31 in 12x50 in 2006

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3332

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics