Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: City Kid]
      #5880575 - 05/23/13 03:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was a Radio Relay Technician when I was in the Air Force.

Me too. By any chance were you ever stationed in Germany? 1st Comm?

Nope, but I passed thru Germany on the way to my permanent location! I was at a fixed Tropo site which supported both voice, and crypto. Where, when, and at who, I'll have to leave out.

Were you also at a fixed location, or goin' mobile with TRC-97s?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5880606 - 05/23/13 04:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nope, but I passed thru Germany on the way to my permanent location! I was at a fixed Tropo site which supported both voice, and crypto. Where, when, and at who, I'll have to leave out.

I worked on TRC-97s. I was at Lindsey Air Station in Wiesbaden from 1979-1981.

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Columbus, OH
      #5880682 - 05/23/13 04:31 PM

Merchant disputes for EFS debit cards. Also a small pittance in music royalites.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: City Kid]
      #5880687 - 05/23/13 04:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

FACP?

Jmax
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/28/10

Loc: Alabama
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5882062 - 05/24/13 11:30 AM

I'm a College Library Director.

I always wanted to be a scientist growing up. My loves were Paleontology and Astronomy. I also dreamed of being a writer and began writing poetry when I was very young. I guess my 'left-brain' won out in the end and I majored in English. I found myself not dedicated enough to be the 'great writer' I dreamed of becoming. Being pretty much an 'ultimate generalist,' what profession could be better than a Librarian. I found myself working in a public library a few years after college, and everything just kind of fell into place. I finished my MLIS a couple of years later. It is the one profession that I can literally say relates to every subject, including my early love... Astronomy.

John

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Wade J]
      #5882216 - 05/24/13 12:36 PM

Quote:

Another Pharmacist here. I have worked mostly in retail stores for the past 32 years. My work schedule is working the nice clear days (or the next mornng for clear nights) and when I have off days it is cloudy.

Wade I tired to send a PM yet you are not accepting.Would like to know what part of South Dakota you live in. Send me a PM if you are able to. Tim

David Gray
sage

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Co. Durham UK
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5882399 - 05/24/13 02:03 PM

Retired baker.

Perhaps I owe Trimdon Bakeries for getting me on course for my first telescope (3" refractor). In 1961 Jan/Feb. as an apprentice one of my last jobs was to gather and burn the rubbish (6/7p.m.- 5 a.m. start!) and on what must have been a long sequence of clear nights was Venus brilliantly gleaming down each evening. THAT was the trigger to finally getting a scope – and I still mark each 8-year repeat of that elongation!

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

#5883557 - 05/25/13 07:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK, you were assigned to the 1st Combat Communications Squadron! I had to look that up, as I wasn't familiar with it. In my previous post, I was asking if you were supporting TACC as part of an FACP (Forward Air Control Post) as TRC-97s were pretty much part, and parcel for FACPs.

From what I read, 1st COMM was really all about providing the mobile comms, and ATC capabilities for airbases we built in combat zones overseas. They apparently have quite a proud history, according to what I read! Here's the link to where I got my info:

http://1stmob.com/h.htm

Heh... small world, huh? I guess they finally retired the TRC-97s, and replaced them with digital gear. The end of an era!

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

Reged: 08/01/07

Loc: Blue Island Illinois
      #5883614 - 05/25/13 09:02 AM

I have been a Chef for 16 years, the last 7 years in a job training program in Chicago. Last year I took an Assistant Director's position so I now oversee Inspiration Kitchens, two Social Enterprise Restaurants that are open to the public and train homeless/ex offenders good work ethics and culinary training in the back to get them off state aid and into the workforce. I live in two worlds, Restaurant Management and Nonprofit/Corporate. Most of the time I'm having a ball...

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
      #5883671 - 05/25/13 09:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK, you were assigned to the 1st Combat Communications Squadron! I had to look that up, as I wasn't familiar with it. In my previous post, I was asking if you were supporting TACC as part of an FACP (Forward Air Control Post) as TRC-97s were pretty much part, and parcel for FACPs.

From what I read, 1st COMM was really all about providing the mobile comms, and ATC capabilities for airbases we built in combat zones overseas. They apparently have quite a proud history, according to what I read! Here's the link to where I got my info:

http://1stmob.com/h.htm

Heh... small world, huh? I guess they finally retired the TRC-97s, and replaced them with digital gear. The end of an era!

Yes, we were a very proud unit. I took part in some very big NATO exercises and we provided communications for the failed rescue attempt of the hostages in Iran. I personally didn't but 5 or 6 people in my shop did. We didn't know what they were doing until after the fact. All we knew was it was very secret and very big. I was there to greet the hostages when they were finally released and it's difficult to explain just how memorable and awesome that was.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: RobertED]
      #5883813 - 05/25/13 11:25 AM

Sales and marketing in the camera industry all my life....things sure have changed in the last 10 yrs!

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: REC]
      #5883997 - 05/25/13 01:44 PM

Collect photons at night, referee soccer by day. I'm retired from being a practicing attorney who switched over to writing software. Still have my law license in good standing, but feel no urge to go back to practicing, and in the twenty+ years since I've forgotten 80%+ of what was once off the top of my head.

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5884145 - 05/25/13 02:54 PM

"What's your occupational background, and did it (or not) connect you to the hobby?"

Neither of my first 2 jobs connected me to the hobby, but the hobby connected me to my present job.

I worked as an Insurance Underwriter in downtown Chicago for a number of years, but quit to be a full-time Mom when our 1st Son was born (a second Son arrived three years later). The Mom-job was 24/7 and money was always tight because we were a single-income family, but staying at home with the Boys was the best decision Hubby and I ever made - - absolutely no regrets.

Then early in 2009, the Editor of Sky at Night magazine (UK) sent me an email asking if I'd be interested in authoring a monthly sketch page for them. I accepted , and have been writing the articles since June 2009. The job offer came like a bolt out of the blue, because I couldn't figure out where he'd seen my sketches - I've never submitted them anywhere, and my participation in Sketching forums is an extremely rare occurrence. Turns out that a Sky at Night staff writer saw one of my online sketch albums and gave the Editor a heads-up.
Gotta love Serendipity!

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: Carol L]
      #5884213 - 05/25/13 03:35 PM

Cool story Carol!

I was at the NEAF show last month and Sky at Night had a booth there. I stopped by and picked up a couple of copies, like the way the magazine it was laid out. Leafing through it I came across an article you wrote and a similar photo of you. I scratched my head and said, hold on, I know that gal from CN's. She don't live in the UK but in the mid-west? Then I saw your last name and said, well she must write for them.

You just now solved the mystery and it was just on a whim that I answered this post today, otherwise I wouldn't have read this:)

Bob

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: REC]
      #5884579 - 05/25/13 07:33 PM

Quote:

Cool story Carol!

I was at the NEAF show last month and Sky at Night had a booth there. I stopped by and picked up a couple of copies, like the way the magazine it was laid out. Leafing through it I came across an article you wrote and a similar photo of you. I scratched my head and said, hold on, I know that gal from CN's. She don't live in the UK but in the mid-west? Then I saw your last name and said, well she must write for them.

You just now solved the mystery and it was just on a whim that I answered this post today, otherwise I wouldn't have read this:)

Bob

Glad the mystery's been solved, Bob.
I try to keep my head down and stay under the radar, but they found me anyway.

To expand a bit on the story, it was Will Gater who saw my sketches. He was a Staff Writer back then, but is now the magazine's 'Features Editor' and also does the Sky at Night Vodcast on YouTube. He was planning to write an article in the May 2009 issue which would feature 10 Hubble images. As an added point of interest, he wanted to include a sketch of each object so Readers would know what to expect when viewing them in the eyepiece.

He contacted me and included a list of the 10 objects, asking if I had sketches of them - and added that the magazine would pay me in exchange for permission to include them in his article (quick pinch to make sure I was awake). I had sketches of all 10 objects, and had sketched some of them more than once, using different telescopes and magnifications. So I sent Will a total of 17 sketches and let him choose the ones he thought would be most helpful.

Within a week, Graham Southorn sent me the job offer (and I gave myself another pinch ).

Back to the main thread topic:
I forgot to mention a few Temp jobs done throughout the years in a hotel chain, a medical facility, a retail store, and a Vet's office (they were just fill-ins for vacationing office staff).

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: Carol L]
      #5884834 - 05/25/13 11:21 PM

I am a professional wife annoyer. My wife is a professional and I annoy her.

Lee.S

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: New Mexico USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: star drop]
      #5884987 - 05/26/13 01:16 AM

Retired FOTS telecommunication fiber optic transmission system tech lll;before that journeyman gas fitter /journeyman plummer,before that equipment mechanic on wheat harvest, farm hand, ranch hand maintenance at oil refinery(Pipe fitter instrument fitter and sometimes electrician's helper,all outside under the stars.....

jpcannavo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/21/05

Loc: Ex NYCer, Now in Denver CO!
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Silver Bear]
      #5885207 - 05/26/13 07:55 AM

... and one in a long list of "could use your services" comments!

Joe

Dave L

Reged: 10/22/09

Loc: Chatsworth, California
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: jpcannavo]
      #5885531 - 05/26/13 12:41 PM

I am a retired teacher. I taught history for 36 years.

David Castillo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/06

Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Dave L]
      #5885714 - 05/26/13 02:45 PM

I'm a retired CT/MRI tech. I worked in medical imaging for over 40 years and left the medical scene when medicine devolved into a corporate entity. Now my nights are spent enjoying the stars rather than being on-call, and my days are spent caring for healthy plants instead of unhealthy patients. I sure appreciate the fact that I can stay up real late and sleep in late- no more hauling my tired, sleep deprived carcass to work.
-----
Dave

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8622

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics