Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Entry level Goto new
      #5883615 - 05/25/13 09:06 AM

Hi, I looking at putting my C80ED on a inexpensive Goto mount. Currently using it on a EQ2 and although it works well for a grab n go, I still have problems finding dimmer DSO's in my Red zone. I thought I would try in on a Meade 2000 or maybe the Celestron SLT. I think both of them do a basic 2 star alignment. The Meade can be used as a manual AZ mount for just point n go.

Anyone using a similar scope and mount out there and how do you like it?

Thanks,

Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
Re: Entry level Goto new [Re: REC]
      #5883692 - 05/25/13 10:15 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

I used my Orion 80ED refractor on a Celestron SLT mount for a number of years. It worked great ... very easy to setup and align ... with very accurate GOTO's. One of the features I really like is the "Quick Align" mode. Just level the OTA, point it North and the it's ready to go ... very convenient for solar observing.

After I sold the 80ED, I put a 70mm. refractor on it for a quick grab-n go solar scope (white light and H-alpha). I also replaced the flimsy aluminum tripod with a heavy duty surveyor's tripod and made up a simple wooden wedge.

Overall, I've found the SLT mount to be very easy to use, reliable, accurate, light weight and a great way to put together an inexpensive grab-n-go system.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Entry level Goto new [Re: *skyguy*]
      #5883819 - 05/25/13 11:31 AM

Interesting set-up! Why the wedge if no AP is being done? Looks pretty good solution though.

Thanks for the pic!

Bob

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
Re: Entry level Goto [Re: REC]
      #5884458 - 05/25/13 06:09 PM

The SLT mount does have an Equatorial mode and I was curious to see how well it worked. It does seem to have better GOTO accuracy and better tracking near the zenith ... however, I usually find it easier to just use the mount in the Alt-Az mode on the original tripod.

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 315

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics