Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5862231 - 05/15/13 01:32 PM

Hamsan,

A jacket was needed Monday night. Like you said it was cool.

Last night's weather turned on me. The ten degree rise in temperature equals decreased transparency.

I must have spent a half hour looking for M-61, checking coordinates, checking setting circles. It just plain would not show itself. I did find it eventually when I was slewing slowly and a puff appeared. It was less featureful than the Crab nebula.

The Whale galaxy another puff in the eyepiece. Last year this time, the Whale showed itself right nice. Even its whale-ness then stood out.

Oh well, another night.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
N. Ham

Reged: 02/14/11

Loc: GA
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: Kraus]
      #5865933 - 05/16/13 09:37 PM

Neighbor Kraus,

I never cease to be amazed at how different targets can appear from one night to another. I always assume it is blind luck on the good nights, and something wrong with me or my set up when the whale is pale or M 51 is just barely there. Don't let up!

Nuts

Bernie Poskus

Reged: 05/22/10

Loc: Broomfield, Colorado
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: stevecoe]
      #5868600 - 05/18/13 01:08 AM

I have to agree with Stevecoe is that it is not sinful to enjoy yourself at the eyepiece. Thus, I believe whatever you feel like doing on a given night is great, and if you are doing something out of a sense of duty, or obligation, at the eyepiece, then that is a sin.

On different nights, I feel like doing different things. I am working through my Herschel 1's (starhopping to each one) and am taking deep pleasure in doing it. Having said that, if I get detoured by an object in the FOV that's not a Herschel, that is fine with me.

What a great thing that you got a good night. I hope it brings you many fond memories.

ensign
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: Bernie Poskus]
      #5877765 - 05/22/13 11:00 AM

Sometimes I like to survey a large number of objects in a given session (usually when I haven't been under darks skies for a while). Other times I like to take my time, observing at a leisurely pace, trying to tease more and more detail out of familiar objects.

I never gave any thought to the morality of either pursuit. I don't think sin enters into the picture at all. Unless I'm cussing out the nutbar who just drove into the observing site, headlights blazing.

timb

Reged: 12/18/12

Loc: buffalo ny
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: ensign]
      #5878060 - 05/22/13 01:29 PM

Not really a right or wrong the most important thing is that you were observing and having a good time.

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: timb]
      #5878098 - 05/22/13 01:50 PM

You're right and don't bump your head on the telescope.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: ensign]
      #5884417 - 05/25/13 05:39 PM

Quote:

I never gave any thought to the morality of either pursuit. I don't think sin enters into the picture at all. Unless I'm cussing out the nutbar who just drove into the observing site, headlights blazing.

Yes, indeed. They should be consigned to the lowest circle of Hades. I hear it's a dry heat. And plenty of white light!

Mike

deepskydarrell

Reged: 03/09/08

Loc: Abbotsford, BC Canada
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5885035 - 05/26/13 02:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, indeed. They should be consigned to the lowest circle of Hades. I hear it's a dry heat. And plenty of white light!

Mike

And they don't serve breakfast.

DSD.

Bill Boublitz

Reged: 05/04/13

Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: N. Ham]
      #5885512 - 05/26/13 12:27 PM

To my way of thinking, the only sin is not to enjoy every moment under the stars, with whatever equipment you use.

I've had plenty of nights where I just wanted to survey. Others, focused on one or two objects. I remember one magical night I set up the scope under a transparent summer Milky Way and just sat there looking with my eyes. Never touched the scope....

cpsTN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/26/07

Loc: Rutherford Co, TN
Re: Is it a sin? [Re: csrlice12]
      #5885849 - 05/26/13 04:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"Men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil." John 3:19

Mike

Then expain all those street lights......

That's not the light that John meant, but the post is still funny.

As far as the OP, what you do with the hobby is up to you. Don't feel badly either way from others' points of view.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1267

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics