Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: E-Cat in the news again! [Re: deSitter]
      #5886006 - 05/26/13 06:27 PM

Rossi hasn't stuck it to anyone. He's just engaged in hype and circus huckstery.

My tarot comment from earlier was perfectly focused for the kind of argument you're making here.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dickbill
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/30/08

Re: E-Cat in the news again! new [Re: llanitedave]
      #5886282 - 05/26/13 10:02 PM

This thread is absolutely worthy of the Papal Inquisition.
First 'La Question Prealable': Abjure, deSitter!, Confess, or else!". I can't imagine what's gonna be 'La Question'.

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: E-Cat in the news again! new [Re: dickbill]
      #5886438 - 05/27/13 12:35 AM

Quote:

This thread is absolutely worthy of the Papal Inquisition.
First 'La Question Prealable': Abjure, deSitter!, Confess, or else!". I can't imagine what's gonna be 'La Question'.

Inquisition, eh?

Let's look at it this way:

Suppose I submit to my clients a geologic model of my prospect area. It has a detailed, colorful geologic map, numerous cross sections, stratigraphy, plots of thrust faults, normal faults, cross faults, diverse bedding orientations displaying folds and rotated blocks, alteration zones, and in the midst of it all a thick and shallow ore body in a host rock that's not only accessible but also so soft that it can be processed without even crushing. It's a gold miner's dream.

I use the latest specialty modelling software (at $50,000 per license), and charge for three months worth of daily field excursions, as well as fees for sampling and analysis from the best labs.

The client says to me, "Dave, that's a wonderful product you've provided! We only have one problem. There are maps of adjoining regions that show structures and formations which your model doesn't mention, and you've got rock units here that no other region has. How do you explain the discrepancies?"

"Well, I'm not sure quite how it works", I say. "But trust me, the gold is there in that ore body."

"Ok, do you mind showing us the terrain? Take us on a field trip", says the client.

So we all pile into a rented van (on the client's dime) and take off over the back roads until we reach a dramatic outcrop near the edge of my exploration area. We get out, bang on the rock a little, and find some very nice fossils.

"See!", I exclaim. "This is the place! Ain't it grand?"

"Very nice", they answer. "But where's the ore body?"

"Oh, well it's not really visible on the surface. You'd need to do the actual excavation to recover it, of course. But my samples prove that its there."

"So, can we see the sample records?"

"Of course not!", I bristle. "They're proprietary". I gave you a sample bag that's been shown to be very high in gold. You can have that independently analyzed, if you like.

"We did. There's gold there, but it doesn't seem to be part of the mineral structure. Is there any more of your search area that you can show us?"

"No, this outcrop is all you get to see. Just trust me. The gold is where I mapped it."

"How do we know the gold is there?", they ask.

"Because I found it!", I answer.

"How do we know you're telling us the truth?", they insist.

"Because the model proves it!"

"Have you ever heard of Bre-X?", they ask skeptically.

"Hey, you're acting like the inquisition!", I protest.

Now, do you really think I'd maintain any kind of positive professional reputation if I were to do my work in that manner? Yet that's exactly the way Rossi is working, and he expects us to just shut up and trust him?

Knowledge for its own sake my eye.

Pess
(Title)

Reged: 09/12/07

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
Re: E-Cat in the news again! new [Re: deSitter]
      #5886757 - 05/27/13 10:03 AM

Quote:

And that is incompatible with his commercial objectives. If anyone is in a mood to take the idea seriously, then it is easy to load up nickel powder with hydrogen and read the existing literature and do experiments. Or just throw some funding at those already so engaged. But there is almost no real interest. The more Rossi sticks it to these posers, the more I root for him.

-drl

Let's look at rossi's track record:

"Discovered" Way to make toxic waste inert and safe: Result: left huge pile of toxic waste for others to clean up.

"Discovered' Way to convert heat directly to electricity at 40% efficiency (Thermolelectric power generation) Result: Huge pile of 'converters' that converted nothing.

"Discovered' unique physics that generates unlimited power, supposedly through some unbeknownst fusion process that transmutes Nickel into copper. He claims a 10% trasmutation efficiency. Results; He holds out as 'proof' locally mined copper samples.

I mean, you gotta wonder what dog someone has in this fight to support this guys work?

At least Fleischmann & Pons had degrees in the hard science field

I don't even think Rossi has a firm grasp of basic physics, he makes absurd claims about transmutation (10% & gives out copper samples) probably not understanding that the energy released with a 10% transmutation rate is patently inconsistent with his experiment and I don't think he understand the concept of isotope ratios.

When he utters or presents something absurd it goes by the wayside.

I have not heard our resident supporter mention these 'inconsistencies, rather we hear about 'lattice transmission of nucleonic energies that somehow provides vast energy while maintaining the overall status que of the individual atoms.

Pesse (sorry, but it is laughable) Mist

dickbill
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/30/08

Re: E-Cat in the news again! new [Re: llanitedave]
      #5886950 - 05/27/13 11:46 AM

If it's a scam, or just non-reproducible, then, some of his customers will be unhappy with it and denounce it, soon or later.
That is, assuming Rossi can sell his device. If he can't sell it because of people suspiscion, it will certainly put more pressure on him for more 'official and independant recognition'.
However, since some scientists have a doubt that it is a scam, just that fact should push some agencies to spy, steal the device, or try to reproduce the phenomenum on their own.
To make the secret sauce, Rossi must buy the ingredients somewhere, and that must show off on his credit card bill.

Anyways, after all this publicity, is it likely that no Department of Defense haven't tried yet to reproduce the effect?
The strategic importance is too big to ignore it completely, so some people in China, Russia or the US must try it right now, or they already know it's a scam.

WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA
Re: E-Cat in the news again! new [Re: dickbill]
      #5887403 - 05/27/13 04:16 PM

Four pages of discussion following the basic theme:

Cool new physics.

Show me the science.

etc.

Let's move on.

Edited by WaterMaster (05/28/13 10:12 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2052

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics