Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
iam1ru12

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Raleigh/Durham, NC
New Eyepiece Tray for the CPCs new
      #5853818 - 05/11/13 01:31 PM

Hello All,
I just came across these new EP trays for the CPCs. Shannon Telescopics at Agena Astro Products

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks!
-Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
barbarosa
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: "lamorinda", CA
Re: New Eyepiece Tray for the CPCs new [Re: iam1ru12]
      #5856368 - 05/12/13 09:20 PM

My first thought was that this tray was certain to catch power, camera and control cables on a CPC. The manual at both the Agena and Shannon sites says it is for the CPC but is in fact for a Meade version.

It looks good though.

iam1ru12

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Raleigh/Durham, NC
Re: New Eyepiece Tray for the CPCs new [Re: barbarosa]
      #5856532 - 05/12/13 11:03 PM

David,
It would appear that Shannon Telescopics have not updated their instructions or videos yet for their new Celestron products. However they definitely have trays for Celestrons:

http://www.shannontelescopics.com/celestron_trays.html

That said, I did not think about the cables/cords. The way my scope is set up with 2 cords (scope power and dew controller power), the tray would most definitely catch the cords.

-Mike

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
      #5856765 - 05/13/13 01:56 AM

I've thought about getting one. I use mostly 2" eyepieces which for some reason the CPC doesn't have a single 2" hole, but beyond that my ES100 degree eyepieces are too tall to stand up on the tray

They look a bit too bulky.
Picture

Jim

Edited by BRisley (05/28/13 10:19 PM)

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Columbus, OH
Re: New Eyepiece Tray for the CPCs new [Re: jerwin]
      #5857954 - 05/13/13 05:08 PM

They look to be pernamently attached by screws which would make transport more difficult. I had a tray like that on my old 8" LX200 tripod and it would not fit in the trunk, so it had to ride in the back seat.

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #5858895 - 05/13/13 11:24 PM

Hi Mike,

In my area, we call such accessories "Dew Collectors".

After a couple of minutes, any eyepece left on an open tray would be completely useless because it would be covered with dew!

Of course not every location is 'blessed' with dew, even so I wouldn't want my Naglers out in the open where anyone could handle them or worse...

Don

FXDX

Reged: 03/29/13

Loc: Good old Europe
Re: New Eyepiece Tray for the CPCs new [Re: Digital Don]
      #5873103 - 05/20/13 05:19 AM

there is enough space left on the original cpc tray where 2" holes (~ 52 mm or so) can be drilled for 3 (or even more) extra eyepieces in itīs three inner sections easily what should be done on a computerized boring and milling machine.

if you have a technician (precision tool maker e.g.) as mate - everybody has ONE - fix the centers of the favored locations of your eyepieces on the tray and let him drill in his workshop.

if you are bold guys and own some tools (jigsaw, hand drill, twist drills, round file) mark the arc circles on the tray and try it carefully on your own. probably the result will not be half as nice as made on a milling machine but functional also.

Holger

JL Shannon
Vendor (Shannon Telescopics)

Reged: 12/12/11

#5884629 - 05/25/13 08:02 PM

Thank you for your inquiry about Shannon Telescopics CPC eyepiece tray.
Unfortunately, the information given to you by respondents is inaccurate and deserves clarification.
None of the respondents has purchased one of my CPC trays, so they have never attached it and used it under actual observing conditions. Where they get their information from is, to be polite, not clear.
Cables are always a problem, unless you are wireless. It is up to the user
to avoid cable tangling and has, per se, nothing to do with an eyepiece tray.
The CPC tray is not for a "Meade version". The bolt patterns for these two
scopes are quite different.
This tray, like all other Shannon Telescopics eyepiece trays, are not "permanently attached by screws.
The CPC tray is quite large, onl;y because the Celestron Heavy Duty Wedge is, in itself, quite large and occupies a large area.
These trays are easily transported if they are kept in their well packed shipping boxes.
Is the eyepiece an accessory to being a "dew collector"? I do not think so.
If dew was heavy, the telescope itself would get wet.
The CPC "doesn't have a single 2" hole?" Cut your own holes?
I invite you to visit my website (http://www,shannontelescopess.com).
to see that these comments are not true.
I am so confident about my products that I will make you this offer: Purchase a CPC tray (or any other tray) and, within 30 days, you are not satisfied for any reason simply return it and I will refund your purchase price 100%.
I gladly accept contructive criticism, but that criticism must be based upon an individuals purchase and use. This is fair to all parties.
Respectfully,
Dr. James Shannon, Owner/President Shannon Telescopics

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
Re: New Eyepiece Tray for the CPCs new [Re: JL Shannon]
      #5884888 - 05/25/13 11:52 PM

Quote:

Is the eyepiece an accessory to being a "dew collector"? I do not think so.
If dew was heavy, the telescope itself would get wet.

Hi James,

I live in the Midwest. Telescopes certainly do get wet when dew forms! Unless one has an effective way of combating dew, observing is not possible. For example, to keep dew from forming on the corrector plate of my Schmidt-Cassegrains, I must use a dew shield and a heater. Without these measures, the corrector plate would be completely covered with dew in 30 minutes or less depending on the dew point. I will reiterate that any eyepiece left uncovered in this area would be unusable within minutes.

I did mention that not every location has issues with dew and do not know the particulars of the original poster's location. However, dew is someting that must be considered when making this kind of purchase.

I think he should take advantage of your generous offer. If your product works for him, that's great. If not, at least he will have given it a try.

Don

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: New Eyepiece Tray for the CPCs new [Re: JL Shannon]
      #5885521 - 05/26/13 12:32 PM

From the illustrations on the site it appears that the CPC tray attaches under a wedge. Is it also designed to attach to the standard CPC tripod, allowing traditional mounting of the fork/OTA assembly via the stock captive bolts? If so, does the tray just go flat on top of the tripod, or must it be permanently attached somehow?

JL Shannon
Vendor (Shannon Telescopics)

Reged: 12/12/11

#5892884 - 05/30/13 04:58 PM

Mike:
Thank you for your post.
I am the owner of Shannon Telescopics which manufactures custom eyepiece trays for Meade and Celestron telescopes.The CPC tray is 1/8" thick steel and black powder coated to resist rusting.
It is 24" wide and 22" long and weighs 9 pounds. These dimensions are necessary to accommodate the Celestron HD wedge. It is compatible with the CPC 800, 925 and 1100 series. It can be used in both altazimuth or equitorial modes (no need for two trays).
It is not interchangeable with any Meade LX200 telescope (bolt patterns to tripod are quite different),
They do not attach permanently to the tripod or the wedge. The tray is simply placed on top of the tripod bolt holes aligned. The wedge is then placed on the tray and, again, the bolt holes must be aligned. Secure with
bolts. Very simple operation. No special tools are required.
The tray will hold 8 each 1 1/4" and 4 each 2" eyepieces, and, they are easily reached. They are not held in a cheap plastic tray that you have to bend over to access between the tripod legs.
If you try to make your own holes in a piece of metal, as some have suggested, you will end up with incorrectly cut holes that may damage the sides of your eyepieces and, when all is said and done, you will have spent
as much or more money for materials and time than a simple purchase.
Some reviews have stated a problem with cables catching. Cables have always been a problem-unless you are wireless. I have two cables. They are enclosed in a plastic cable carrying material (Radio Shack material). I have no problems with cables catching.
Again, I repeat my offer posted under the reply to iam1RU12 post.
And, again, constructive criticism is appreciated by those who have purchased and used in the field.
James

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: New Eyepiece Tray for the CPCs [Re: JL Shannon]
      #5893044 - 05/30/13 06:50 PM

Hey James,

Nice looking products. But the web site is lacking. I would like to see it on a Nexstar GPS or CPC scope without a wedge. I think the Meade folks would also be an easier sell with some more pictures.

You see, most people who have a wedge, only use their scope for imaging, and would not have a need for eyepieces. "Visual Only" astronomers have no use for the unwieldy wedge.

Also the "large" image of one of your products it over 16MB (over 6K pixels scaled down to 900) Kind of a hefty download, even with broadband. Another one looks like someone tried to crop the background and did a really bad job.

I could help you out with that if you need it. I do a lot of that stuff at my work.

I was thinking about the controller holders as well. They most definitely look like they would have the potential to snag a cord or two. Not as much of a worry on the Nexstar GPS series due to the power being stationary, but very much a consideration on the CPC or use with dew heaters. Do you offer versions without the controller holder cutouts?

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1163

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics