Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
finderman2

Reged: 06/09/12

Loc: NW Connecticut
Victory! in the Northwest Corner new
      #5894233 - 05/31/13 12:52 PM

I just finished speaking with the electrician who handles the lights in my town, two of the problem lights right in front of my yard are now fixed, one was working intermittently and so the town replaced it a with a new bulb and fixture, and thankfully any new lights are required to be the full cutoff type, lets hope some other ones in town get blown away by a storm, which seem to be more and more frequent anyways, and all my problems will be solved. Now the yard is much darker, and consequently the driveway where I observe, and my room is almost pitch black, before I could read a book and walk around with no lights on.

So if anybody has got some problem lights where they live, think about asking the electric company or whoever is in charge of lighting in your town, you never know they just might fix it, certainly better than grumbling at your astronomy club or here and not doing anything.

If you live in Connecticut like I do, then you can use this link to CL&Ps website, which is for reporting broken lights, but it will put you in touch with the right people. If other people want to chime in with information for other states it would be much appreciated, and handy for anybody who has that one glaring street light on there block.

Here is a before shot:
http://d.pr/i/fGDm+

I will take a photo tonight of the new light

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
Re: Victory! in the Northwest Corner new [Re: finderman2]
      #5894539 - 05/31/13 03:32 PM

Hi-Thanks for the FYI. Live in Hartford area and I have a streetlight that is somewhat intrusive. I just submitted a complaint via the link. Here's hoping!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Victory! in the Northwest Corner new [Re: aatt]
      #5894600 - 05/31/13 04:05 PM

My back yard is surrounded by trees, but there are still TWO streetlights there (I have a corner lot). A few month's back one of them burnt out....and so far (luckily) the city doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix it (probably since the other one still works---sodium vapor of course..

finderman2

Re: Victory! in the Northwest Corner [Re: aatt]
      #5894705 - 05/31/13 05:08 PM

Yea, Hartford is bad, every time I drive in for something I cringe at all the wasted lighting, not to mention the HORRENDOUS spotlights that all the rich people seem to have pointed at their house, you wonder if they get any sleep with all that daylight. Robert Gendler astrophotographer extraordinaire and Hartford native has taken to using remote telescopes (Arizona, New Mexico, Chile) the problem is so bad, though he still does have a very nice setup at home

Glad I could help!

aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
Re: Victory! in the Northwest Corner new [Re: finderman2]
      #6092519 - 09/20/13 09:28 PM

I just wanted to follow up-after complaining electronically twice via the link you submitted, I went outside this evening and discovered that annoying streetlight has been changed to full cutoff! Yay!I would rather it not be there, but the stray glare is no longer extending into my backyard.Thanks very much for the tip. One down 900,000,000 or so left to go......

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Victory! in the Northwest Corner new [Re: aatt]
      #6093227 - 09/21/13 11:23 AM

Quote:

I just wanted to follow up-after complaining electronically twice via the link you submitted, I went outside this evening and discovered that annoying streetlight has been changed to full cutoff! Yay!I would rather it not be there, but the stray glare is no longer extending into my backyard.Thanks very much for the tip. One down 900,000,000 or so left to go......

It seems that our friends in Connecticut are benefiting at least a little from that state's anti-LP Law. See copy here: web page

finderman2

Re: Victory in the Northwest Corner! new [Re: aatt]
      #6093354 - 09/21/13 12:35 PM

Great to hear! I was running some errands in Torrington and noticed a whole bunch of streetlights were full cut off leds, that looked new, definitely an improvement, from the old high pressure sodium. Unfortunately the light that CL&P upgraded at my own home, still has a bulb that is WAY too bright for what it needs to be, and reflects everywhere. I just read about Cree making a new full cut off LED streetlight that is only $99, I am thinking I should write a letter to my town and explain the overall cost savings of switching the every light over.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 580

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics