Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Quintessence
Vendor

Reged: 06/03/07

Loc: Austin, Texas
Re: Alt-Az Mount for a Tak TOA130 new [Re: mark8888]
      #5897026 - 06/01/13 11:34 PM

Without entering any pro/con commentary into the discussion, let me provide some numbers as fuel for thought.

Let's say that you are using a Nagler eyepiece at 300x. Then the total field of view is about .27 degree or a little more than 16 arc-minutes. Let's say that for "tracking" without slow-motion controls, one grasps the star-diagonal at a point 20 inches from the axis of rotation. If "tracking" in 5 arc-minute steps, which represents a third of the field of view, then one would have to execute a controlled movement of just .029 inch. "Tracking" in 5 arc-minute steps is fairly coarse -- not really fine enough to keep a planetary image in the "sweet spot." But even these rather large steps must be repeated about every 20 seconds (assuming the object is not too far from the celestial equator).

Obviously, the task is easier for larger scopes like an 18-inch Dob -- because of the larger working-radius through which the movements are executed.

I will leave to others to argue the merits/practicality of tracking by direct manipulation of the OTA. I am prohibited from such commentary. But having some basic numbers can help sharpen and clarify the discussion, adding a measure of objectivity.

Charles

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Goodchild
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/08

#5897029 - 06/01/13 11:35 PM

mark8888,

None, as I stated above. But I still have no doubt that slo-mo would improve the mount.

Edited by Goodchild (06/01/13 11:38 PM)

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: Alt-Az Mount for a Tak TOA130 new [Re: Goodchild]
      #5897061 - 06/01/13 11:57 PM

You stated above that you didnt own either one, but with such a strong opinion about it I'd assumed you'd at least USED one once or twice, or extensively. And being that your opinion is so very different from that of others who have actually used the mount, I had thought it was interesting.

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
      #5897370 - 06/02/13 06:53 AM

In my opinion adding slo mo to a DM-6 would pretty much require a fairly significant redesign resulting in a fundamentally different mount - the simplicity, rock solid performance, capacity and compact (albeit heavy) form factor of the current DM-6 are what still attract me to the mount as it is now. It just plain "works" and if it ain't broke........?. Would I prefer slo mo capability? Yes, in a blank sheet theoretical way I suppose so, but in practice I'd say I rarely felt limited by the DM mounts' lack of slo mo.

I onced owned a DM-6 and TOA 130 - the only limitation for me was the poorly suited set of legs I had at the time not the mount or even the front heavy TOA.

BTW, I think Tammy's comparative analyses earlier in this thread are spot on (with regard to DM and HH mounts at least - I've not used a T-Rex) but as pointed out do not necessarily apply to the current Nova Hitch, which is quite distinct from the earlier Half Hitch generation of mounts (great performers in their own right). I'd love to try a Nova with my 140 some day.

It isn't simply a matter of which of these mounts is "best" but what might be best in terms of your gear, requirements and expectations. Fortunately or unfortunately, only each of us individually can make that determination.

tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Alt-Az Mount for a Tak TOA130 new [Re: Mauikj]
      #5897522 - 06/02/13 10:06 AM

With binos, you really want a CAA (camera rotator) on the TOA when using a GEM, it helps a lot and keeps the binos safe from accidentally dropping them when adjusting angle. As for the DM6 balance, the new Disk Mount dovetail saddles are offset to make balance better at zenith (you can see the offset holes in the saddle plate on the Diskmount web site). I had no issues with balance with a DM6 and Tak FS128.
Rex

JumboFlex
sage

Reged: 01/20/09

Re: Alt-Az Mount for a Tak TOA130 new [Re: tomcody]
      #5897930 - 06/02/13 02:21 PM

TEC140 on a DM6 is great for me. Simple, handles the weight and balance discrepancies that occur with large EP swaps. Its also easy to adjust and balance.

I did buy it before the NH was available though and if I were to buy new today I would give the NH serious consideration as slo mo is always a nice option. I think the DM6 might be cheaper similarly equipped to a NH. The robo slo mo would probably make it a lot more expensive but that is optional.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Alt-Az Mount for a Tak TOA130 new [Re: Mauikj]
      #5898987 - 06/03/13 03:28 AM Attachment (44 downloads)

My DM6/Berlebach setup (with Eagle pier extension) is fantastic, I can track absolutely perfectly up to 300X and beyond. It is incredibly smooth, I don't even get the slightest jitter when moving it and I can reset my target with utter precision and ease, as well as switch out eyepieces including my 31T5 Nagler without losing the target. It's just a dream outfit, takes me a couple minutes at the most to set up. Damping time with the Berlebach and my FS152 is less than a second - for real (with my Discmounts tripod my damping time was closer to 3 or 4 seconds). The only thing you need to be careful about is to have the tripod at least somewhat level - if it is not then you could have a tipping issue when the scope hits the "low side". Tom Peters is wonderful to deal with as well, just a great product all around and one of my best astronomical purchases. One really nice feature is the optional Televue Starbeam adapter which attaches to the Alt bearing, so the mount can have it's own finder.

I'm very curious about the NovaHitch, looks incredible.

Mauikj

Reged: 06/08/08

Loc: Maui, Hawaii, USA
Re: Alt-Az Mount for a Tak TOA130 [Re: johnnyha]
      #5899021 - 06/03/13 04:29 AM

Beautiful set up Johnny - thanks for the feedback. I'll probably go with the DM6 unless I see a bit more feedback about the Nova Hitch (it does sound incredible, but it seems the DM6 owners are all very happy and it has been out longer with tons of great reviews). I love the Berlebach tripod and really like it in the nut brown color you have (so at least I decided on that).

Thanks again

Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
Re: Alt-Az Mount for a Tak TOA130 new [Re: Doug D.]
      #5991996 - 07/26/13 09:00 PM

Quote:

BTW, I think Tammy's comparative analyses earlier in this thread are spot on (with regard to DM and HH mounts at least - I've not used a T-Rex) but as pointed out do not necessarily apply to the current Nova Hitch, which is quite distinct from the earlier Half Hitch generation of mounts (great performers in their own right). I'd love to try a Nova with my 140 some day.

Hi Doug,

I received Nova Hitch Mount this morning. I put TMB 130SS on it and played inside to learn how to adjust things.
I am planning to test FLT 152 on Nova Hitch tomorrow.

I agree with what Charles stated earlier that Nova Hitch is different class from HH/SHH.
I understand it firsthand now.
I am looking forward to usability improvement such as quick release, tracking system, Nova tripod.

I took side-by-side photos, from left to right, Super Half Hitch, Nova Hitch, and Half Hitch.

Tammy

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
Re: Alt-Az Mount for a Tak TOA130 new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5992119 - 07/26/13 10:27 PM

Very nice Tammy and helpful to see the mount progression side by side.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: Alt-Az Mount for a Tak TOA130 new [Re: Doug D.]
      #5992548 - 07/27/13 07:53 AM

Great pictures Tammy, looking forward to hearing the results of your test.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2004

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics