Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
Mike in Tampa

Reged: 05/19/13

scope buggy question new
      #5894460 - 05/31/13 02:52 PM

one of the recommendations was to add a scope buggy for convenience. having looked at several links, I have a "NOOB" question...

I assume you guys leave your scope on them all the time and roll them to and from your garage/storage location to the viewing site. if this is the case, how do you address leveling? I can only think you would level it on a certain location and wheel it back to the same location each time. if you are not using a GPS goto type mount, I guess it wouldn't be as crucial for a level scope base, but I've been curious how this issue is addressed when using a scope buggy type device.

thanks,

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Monadnock
sage

Reged: 04/24/12

Loc: SW NH
Re: scope buggy question new [Re: Mike in Tampa]
      #5894678 - 05/31/13 04:46 PM

I'm sure others will chime in, but I believe close is good enough.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: scope buggy question new [Re: Monadnock]
      #5894711 - 05/31/13 05:10 PM

I know Jims wheely bar has leveler adjusters on it that work really well and are easy to adjust by hand

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: scope buggy question new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5894805 - 05/31/13 06:15 PM

The Scopebuggy has leveling bolts built into it.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: scope buggy question new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5894807 - 05/31/13 06:17 PM

Here is a link to an old archived thread on upgrading a Scopebuggy.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=telescopes...

Monadnock
sage

Reged: 04/24/12

Loc: SW NH
Re: scope buggy question new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5895183 - 05/31/13 10:29 PM

Mike, I guess I misunderstood your question. As others have said, the buggy does have leveling screws. I'm on week 5 of waiting for mine to arrive so I can't really say how well they work...yet.

My first post was regarding the actual finished level, after the adjustments, whether via the tripod or a dolly. I don't think it has to be spot on. It's been a while since I've used mine but it was always in the same spot on my walkway, and never leveled. I'm certain the walkway is off a few degrees from level. The longest I've stuck to one object was a couple hours and the scope tracked virtually flawlessly.

I'm fairly certain as long as the level doesn't change, the mount will compensate for small discrepancies. Obviously, adding the variable of having pneumatic tires into the mix, and NOT using the leveling bolts, you could run into tracking issues.

As far as possibly assisting you in your decision to get some sort of dolly, I'll tell you there's no doubt in my mind that I'll use my scope far more often when it arrives. The weather around here can be quite unpredictable. I suspect the weather in Tampa is even more unpredictable. Being able to roll it inside quickly will be great. For me, the main reason is my little 17 month old. As I've learned, kids can put an abrupt stop to a viewing session. With the Scopebuggy, those times can be easily dealt with. Of course all this is speculation at this point as mine is still in AZ

sanlopez
sage

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: 35.9606° N, 83.9208° W
Re: scope buggy question [Re: Monadnock]
      #5899392 - 06/03/13 11:05 AM

Mike:

I bought the scope buggy last year (with the fat tires), and since I use it often I can share with you my experiences:

You will use the telescope more often. I have it in my garage, and if I come in from work and the skies are clear I wheel it out

The base of the scope buggy is quite large, far bigger than the footprint of the tripod. It also has a wide turning radius, so make sure you have room

The telescope just sits on the scope buggy, and gravity keeps it there. Since that makes me nervous I have attached bungee cords to it.

Before you mount the telescope to the buggy level it on the tripod, and attach a bubble level to the center of the scope's base. That way leveling in on the buggy will be a breeze.

I have found that leveling the telescope by carefully adjusting the tripod's legs is quicker than by using the buggy's bolts. However, I do use one of the buggy's bolts as a parking brake.

Clear skies

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 724

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics