Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Tandum
sage

Reged: 03/01/10

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: groz]
      #5926131 - 06/17/13 06:47 PM

Quote:

Is this done using eqmod, or the supplied controller ?

If you are comparing using eqmod, it's not really a valid comparison of 'what was supplied'. I'm actually quite interested in how well it runs 'out of the box', ie, do a 3 star align, then wander around the sky seeing how close the goto accuracy is, using the supplied electronics.

Yes eqmod. Mine is in a dome so it must have ascom on it so the dome tracks it. I'll leave using the handset to someone else.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tandum
sage

Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: BKBrown]
      #5926144 - 06/17/13 06:57 PM

Quote:

Great reporting so far, thanks for sharing the info on your mount. I have been wondering how the EQ-8 compares to the EQ-6 size-wise. I currently have an EQ-6 Pro/Atlas in my observatory and am interested in upgrading to the EQ-8 when it becomes available over here in North America. Specifically, I am wondering how much taller the EQ-8 is from base to highest point in park compared to the EQ-6? Just kind of curious to see how much I would have to modify my current pier and rat cage. Thanks again!

Clear Skies,
Brian

It's shorter than the eq6. That riser from pier to RA axis is quite short. I think I took 30mm off the up/down numbers in poth for dome maths. My pier was setup for an eq6/em-200 (they are the same), I just had to move the pin to the other side, 54mm from center and tap two locking bolt holes 80mm east and west from the 12mm center bolt. There are drawings in the manual and there was a manual on line.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/user/slywatcher_eq8_manual.pdf

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: Tandum]
      #5926148 - 06/17/13 06:59 PM

Much obliged, thanks for the feedback.

Clear Skies,
Brian

Tandum
sage

#5930710 - 06/20/13 07:37 AM

And I got eqmod working without the handset. This mount and the alt/az eq6 control boards use 3.3v signalling but they can handle 5v signalling from the handset. So your eqdir device must be able to hear 3.3v signals to work. It seems the shoestring one and the hitech astro devices work just fine .... Bye bye handset, you bloody boat anchor

Quote from skywatcher:
Quote:

The motor controller on the AZ-EQ6 and the EQ8 are using 3.3V logic, and in the future, all our new motor controller will use 3.3V logic, too. But we have made sure that the communication interface is +5V tolerant and the new motor controllers will be compatible with the old SynScan hand control. The EQMOD user should make sure that their adapter can receive 3.3V serial input signal reliably.

lafo0100

Reged: 05/05/13

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
      #5931770 - 06/20/13 05:58 PM

Tandum, good to hear eqmod is working without the handset. How are you finding the mount so far? Any images produced yet? I'd like to know if all the hype over this mount from the last few years was worth it!

Tandum
sage

Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: lafo0100]
      #5932293 - 06/20/13 11:29 PM

We only had 2 clear nights and now the rain is back for another week

Tandum
sage

#5934180 - 06/22/13 07:51 AM Attachment (91 downloads)

It cleared tonight. Here's maxim capturing and pulse guiding through eqmod. I'm using a QHY5L II on an OAG through a 12" newt so FL is about 1.2meters and image scale on the guider is .67 arcsec/pixel. Imaging camera is 1.61 arcsec/pixel. The blue chart is DEC.

lafo0100

Reged: 05/05/13

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
      #5934369 - 06/22/13 10:47 AM

Bravo on an amazing shot! Great detail. The peak errors looks amazing too. I think this field use has answered alot of performance questions.

Tandum
sage

#5934471 - 06/22/13 11:44 AM

I spent most of the night trying to find that black frost mark in the middle of the image. It appears to be inside the 3" asa corrector Winter is here.

Also, if you press the dec lock lever too far while the scope is pointing west, it will hit the motor/worm box when you slew east. This is a design fault. (I guess that would be reversed in the Nth half of the planet).

I also see a little slop in DEC on this mount. I'm waiting for comments from others before trying to fix it.

Coastal

Reged: 04/23/09

Loc: Vancouver island, Canada
      #5938093 - 06/24/13 02:07 PM

I'm sorry if this was already mentioned, but is the mount/tripod interface any different than the EQ6? I have an EQ6 on a concrete pier with Dan's Piertop plate and I'm wondering if I'll need a new plate for the EQ8. Thanks!

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: Coastal]
      #5938863 - 06/24/13 10:55 PM

It looks significantly different in the diagrams and images I have seen. I am in exactly the same position as you and contacted Dan to discuss the issue. He is willing to work with EQ-8 owners to develop a new adapter plate if necessary (and I think it will be), with the customers providing pictures, traces, measurements or whatever. Seemed like a good approach to me. Since you guys in Canada are getting these before we see any kind of release from Orion (if there is one!) you might want to drop the man a line.

Clear Skies,
Brian

Coastal

Reged: 04/23/09

Loc: Vancouver island, Canada
      #5938882 - 06/24/13 11:09 PM

On an Australian forum (despite having a relatively small population they have fantastic online communities for almost every subject) it was noted that a larger centre bolt was needed to secure the mount. That is, it -may- be possible to drill a larger hole in the EQ6 plate and together with a different bolt attach it to an EQ8 mount. My local (well Vancouver) SW dealer has sold a few EQ8s already and I think I might put an order in. I just wish there were a few more reports. If/when I receive it I definitely plan on sharing the details with Dan.

Tandum
sage

Re: EQ8's Land in Oz new [Re: Coastal]
      #5939174 - 06/25/13 05:43 AM

The bottom of the head is flat, the central bolt is the same as the eq6, standard M12 bolt. The pin is on the opposite side to the eq6 and 54mm from the center. There are two 8mm locating/lock down bolts 80mm from the center to the east and west.

I modified my eq6 pier myself without issue.

Drawings of the top of the tripod are in this manual :-
http://www.firstlightoptics.com/user/slywatcher_eq8_manual.pdf

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4276

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics