Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
CPC got water inside fork!!!
      #5909928 - 06/08/13 03:17 PM

Awright... maybe it wasn't the smartest move, but I was away last week and we got this huge rainstorm up here, 4" of rain. The CPC1100 was outside covered with a Telegizmo (normal, not 365 cover). So I just realized there was water inside the fork/base as I rotated it the water came out!

Ok, obviously I have NOT turned it on. We have a sunny day today, so I am going to leave it uncovered and hopefully the sun will dry whatever moisture is still inside.

Anyone have any advice on how to proceed in terms of turning it on this evening after the water has hopefully dried out???

Al

Obviously learned my lesson... Telegizmo normal cover and anything more than a light rain shower... fuggetaboutit!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Brian RisleyModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/04/06

Loc: SW Florida
Re: CPC got water inside fork!!! new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5909992 - 06/08/13 03:54 PM

Remove base cover, check all boards for water top and bottom. May need to pull connector board out to get all water out of it. Check all connectors for water and reseat. Remove arm covers and check in them for water. Hairdryer?
Turn base on side to make sure no water is sitting in the bottom. Good luck! Friend had rain come in the connectors and until he had it fully dry, the system was not operating correctly.
Brian

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Re: CPC got water inside fork!!! new [Re: Brian Risley]
      #5910145 - 06/08/13 05:28 PM

Ugh! Do you think I need to go to all that work? A week in the hot sun without hopefully anymore rain, shouldn't that dry the whole thing out? I think I will wait it out before I go taking this aparts, with my pathetic DIY skills, I will just mess things up most likely...

Al

Going to cover it with large garbage bag and two standard telegizmos I have until next weekend when hopefully after a week in the sun everything will have dried out!

1965healy
The Snarkster

Reged: 06/23/07

Loc: San Antonio, TX
      #5910269 - 06/08/13 07:18 PM

Even if you're afraid to mess with the wiring at least take the base and arm covers off and let the insides dry out for 48 hours inside of your house or garage. After that gently tilt the base and look carefully with a flash light to see if there's any more water. Wait another day before you put the covers back on. When it comes to current flow water acts like solder and can make connections that can fry your CPC.

Monadnock
sage

Reged: 04/24/12

Loc: SW NH
Re: CPC got water inside fork!!! new [Re: 1965healy]
      #5910274 - 06/08/13 07:26 PM

If I were in your shoes, I'd wait AT LEAST the 48 hours that 1965healy suggested. I'd go a week, anyway, if yer not gonna disassemble anything. Do you have any buds with DIY skills that could help you pop some covers off? Do you, or anyone you know, own a dehumidifier? That would help big time, as would a fan blowing on it. Don't rush the dry time!

btieman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/24/08

Re: CPC got water inside fork!!! new [Re: Monadnock]
      #5910293 - 06/08/13 07:55 PM

You really need to open it up. If you don't open it, the water may heat and evaporate, but without air flow, it will stay in the enclosed spaces and begin to corrode things you don't want corroded.

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Re: CPC got water inside fork!!! new [Re: btieman]
      #5910331 - 06/08/13 08:21 PM

I just turned it on after letting the sun beat down on it for a couple of hours. Worked fine. Hmmmmmm... you guys are making me worried. So maybe I should just let it be this weekend 'eh?

Monadnock
sage

#5910358 - 06/08/13 08:35 PM

Better safe than sorry with a $3k scope. Btieman has a very good point as well. Give it a couple days. Before you know it, it'll be Monday. Think of the hassle, shipping expense, and down time you'll have IF it has to go to Celestron for repairs. Haste makes waste

1965healy
The Snarkster

#5910389 - 06/08/13 09:02 PM

Quote:

I just turned it on after letting the sun beat down on it for a couple of hours. Worked fine. Hmmmmmm... you guys are making me worried. So maybe I should just let it be this weekend 'eh?

We tried to worry you BEFORE you turned it on! You're a braver soul than I am.

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

#5910391 - 06/08/13 09:03 PM

Ok, I closed it up. I had an extra Telegizmo cover (not 365) so now I have two Telegizmos on it. Also I noticed that most likely a pesky squirrel had decided to sleep on my wedge as i found a bit of fur all over... so i cinched it up. I will try it next weekend. Good thing I have another couple of scopes!! hehe

Al

P.S. thanks everyone for the cautionary advice!

Monadnock
sage

#5910451 - 06/08/13 09:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

We tried to worry you BEFORE you turned it on! You're a braver soul than I am.

Lol!

Can you bring the scope inside easily? I don't know how breathable the Telegizmos covers are, but you certainly don't want to hinder the evaporation process.

Gotta give you, and all the other folks that keep yer scopes outside, credit. I have a Scopebuggy coming on Monday and I'm already paranoid about keeping it inside a garage.

1965healy
The Snarkster

#5910563 - 06/08/13 10:59 PM

My CPC lived on the scope buddy in the garage for almost a year w/o any problems. I put a sheet over it and a bungee cord around the tripod where it joined the CPC base. Can't imagine leaving it OUTSIDE tho.

btieman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/24/08

#5910970 - 06/09/13 08:20 AM

My cpc1100 lives outside under a telegizmos 365 cover. It's had 2 foot of snow on it, lived through -10 to 100+ degree temps, rainstorms, hail, and a tornado that destroyed half our town less than a mile from our house. It's been outside for almost 3 years now. Yet, when I take the cover off, it wakes up and places the target within 15" of center every single time

The screws in the finder scope have recently torn through the reflective heat layer and have started to rub the outer layer directly which worries me that I might start to get rain seepage. I've been thinking about replacing the cover for that reason. These things work great and are much cheaper and more portable than an observatory.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: CPC got water inside fork!!! new [Re: btieman]
      #5936603 - 06/23/13 03:24 PM

Rain around here has a bit of sufuric acid in it courtesy of the Midwest coal burners. Your circuits' traces are epoxy covered and should be fine. Not sure what the acid will do to soldered connections, but it can raise Cain with mechanical connections. I'd pull them and add some grease or WD-40 (Water Displacement fomula #40).

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Re: CPC got water inside fork!!! new [Re: Geo.]
      #5937032 - 06/23/13 07:59 PM

CPC dried out just fine. Works as before...

I now have 2 Telegizmo (non 365) covers over it. So far so good... 4 months left before it comes back inside...

Monadnock
sage

#5937095 - 06/23/13 08:47 PM

That's GREAT news! Glad to know you're back up and running. Sometimes you gotta double bag stuff

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 720

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics