Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Heino Pull

Reged: 06/10/13

Loc: St Louis, Missouri usa
Goto Problem with new Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G new
      #5912985 - 06/10/13 12:37 PM

I just purchased the new AZ/EQ-G mount and spent 3 nights trying to evaluate my mount with a Meade LX50 10" ota. Goto performance was really bad after a first few gotos in EQ mode and since I had never owned a goto mount before, thought I needed to managed my expectations.

I leveled and balanced the scope, always north aligned and doing 1-star, 2-star, or 3-star alignments didn't seem to help things. My tracking of an object was fantastic though. I was able to image unguided with a Meade DSI Pro and a 3.3 focal reducer for up to 1 minute and 2 minutes with a small amount of star blur.

Saturday night (third night) I noticed that if I didn't re-position the scope with SynScan controller or release the clutches, Gotos worked one after another.
I then disabled the auxiliary encoder and gotos were fantastic the rest of the night. Repositioning of the scope after goto (with the hand controller) had no bad effect. Of course I didn't try loosening the clutches after disabling the encoder.

It seems that my auxiliary encoder may be faulty and I have a support email in to Orion, but I wonder if others have seen this issue on the AZ/EQ-G?

Otherwise - I love this new mount.

Heino R. Pull
Ellisville, Missouri

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

Re: Goto Problem with new Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G [Re: Heino Pull]
      #5913478 - 06/10/13 04:07 PM

I believe that the manual mentions that the auxiliary encoders could have a negative affect on pointing if used with automatic skewing. It is best to leave them disabled.

JohnD

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 278

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics