Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1
Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: Oregon USA
Fun With Registax/NexImage5!
      #5913884 - 06/10/13 08:04 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

This doesn't fit in the regular imaging forums so I'll post it here. I received a NexImage5 planetary camera today and wanted to just check out it's functions and experiment also with the included video processing software included - Registax6 - which I've never used before. I stuck the webcam on the ST80 achro and aimed it in all its CA purpleness through a window at some fir trees waving in the 20 mph wind. Good news is the camera works great and so does the software! Since I didn't have an astro subject to use for testing I sort of created one as I discovered some interesting effects can be had using Registax on 10 frames of waving tree branches. Using it's stacking and wavelets I got an image looking like a loose chalk drawing which I then added a drawn-in crow, moon, and star to. It may not be "art" or astro-imaging but it was fun!
---Maya

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rick rian
Seeker of Truth(s)

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Upper Mid West
Re: Fun With Registax/NexImage5! new [Re: Crow Haven]
      #5971343 - 07/14/13 10:36 PM

I like the image, Maya, it could be an illustration for a children's book - "The Raven and the Moon" maybe?

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: Oregon USA
Re: Fun With Registax/NexImage5! new [Re: rick rian]
      #5973239 - 07/15/13 10:16 PM

Thanks Rick!
The Pacific NW tribes have many legends of Raven. There's one in which Raven brings the Moon and stars to the sky.

Ravens and crows always fascinate me. There are several near my observatory and I enjoy their flying acrobatics and antics.

Btw, for all who may be interested in these birds, I just received a great book titled, "Gifts of the Crow -- How Perception, Emotion, and Thought Allow Smart Birds to Behave Like Humans" by researcher/scientist John Marzluff, and wonderfully illustrated by Tony Angell. It's full of amazing incidents of crow behavior...they share with us "language, delinquency, frolic, passion, wrath, risk taking, and awareness." I've witnessed these in those I've known as well.
---Maya

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13687

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics