Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case
      #5916416 - 06/12/13 06:54 AM

Yesterday I bought a new Harbor Freight Tools large case (17" x 12" inside dimensions). It only cost about $19 with coupon. I did this as a cheap quick way to get fresh foam for a new arrangement of eyepieces.

This will be the last time I ever buy an HFT large case. I must have bought at least a half-dozen of these cases over the years. But the foam they use now is flimsy and too easy to tear. The old foam was stiff, stayed in place, and did not tear at the seams just because you take an eyepiece in and out of the case. The new foam sucks eggs.

Also, the two tabs inside the top cover near the hinge are metal now, not hard plastic. I suppose the manufacturer looks on this as an improvement, but it doesn't help me. These tabs often get in the way of eyepieces stored near the hinge. Usually I hacksawed those tabs off in my old HFT cases. That would take a lot more effort now that they are metal.

So I advise everyone to stay away from the large Harbor Freight Tools case for storing eyepieces. They have ruined a good thing.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5916443 - 06/12/13 07:28 AM

bummer Mike. Thx for the heads up!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5916499 - 06/12/13 08:29 AM

A quick Dremmel tool would make short work of the tabs, I just don't put anything in the case where the tabs would hit truthfully. I will be replacing the foam though. Theres a few mattress/Upholstry companies here in town so raw materials shouldn't be a problem. The case itself is actually pretty sturdy and is still a good buy for the price.

On my "accessory case" I used the dividers and used the pluck foam and placed it it the lid because it placed just enough pressure to keep everything within the borders created by the dividers.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
      #5916505 - 06/12/13 08:36 AM

Mike, when did you last buy one? I think mine were like that. I bought them about a year ago.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5916508 - 06/12/13 08:40 AM

I don't have a Dremmel tool. Not everyone has. When the tabs where hard-plastic, all you needed was a little hacksaw. But I only took them off if I was using the case for eyepieces. I pack my cases, so some eyepieces are pretty close to the hinge line.

I don't see buying the case and then having to replace the foam. I already have several of these cases that I can reutilize if I can find good replacement foam for them. I want some pick-n-pluck foam, not something I have to freeze and then cut with a knife. I'm not doing that.

But I won't be buying any more of the cases, period. HFT is done. Stick a fork in it.

I had a big bag of the wooden dividers. I threw most of them away. I experimented with putting them in a case, but didn't think much of it. Especially for eyepieces, I don't want those hard wood dividers in the case.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5916511 - 06/12/13 08:42 AM

Quote:

Mike, when did you last buy one? I think mine were like that. I bought them about a year ago.

I bought the last case yesterday. Before that, I think I bought one last Fall. At that time, they had already made the change to metal tabs, but the case still had the good firm pick-n-pluck foam. The foam they have in it now is not good enough for gerbils to tear apart for nesting.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5916538 - 06/12/13 09:00 AM

Anyone know a good source for decent pick-n-pluck foam to fit a case that has 17" by 12" inside dimensions?

Mike

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/11/07

Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North
      #5916547 - 06/12/13 09:08 AM

Mike, you need to get yourself a "Dremmel Tool"... I hear HFT has them for cheap.

Sorry, couldn't help myself,
Jaimo!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5916550 - 06/12/13 09:12 AM

This looks like a possibility for replacement foam for the HFT case.

1501 3 pc Replacement Foam Ser for Pelican 1500 Case

The Pelican 1500 Case might be the closest equivalent to the HFT Case in inside dimensions. The pick-n-pluck layer for the 1500 is 11-1/2 x 17-1/4. I measured the HFT Case as approx. 12 x 17. I'll have to remeasure more accurately to see if the 1500 stuff will work.

I might end up buying a 1500 Case. I know for sure I can get replacement foam to fit it whenever I want.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: Jaimo!]
      #5916553 - 06/12/13 09:14 AM

Quote:

Mike, you need to get yourself a "Dremmel Tool"... I hear HFT has them for cheap.

Sorry, couldn't help myself,
Jaimo!

Buy tools at Harbor Freight Tools? You're kidding, right?

Seriously, I've bought hex keys and such at HFT, but never anything more sophisticated than that. It would be like buying a household appliance at an Ollie's Bargain Store. Can you say "refurbished?"

But the point is moot, because I won't need a Dremmel to cut the tabs since I'm never buying another HFT case.

Mike

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #5916623 - 06/12/13 09:58 AM

Yep, they sure have. I still bought one though for random accessories and I am using a mix of some of the terrible foam and the dividers. It will suffice for that, but I would never store eyepieces in a case with foam like this.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: Starman81]
      #5916659 - 06/12/13 10:27 AM

It was a good deal before. I put as many as 30 eyepieces in one case and never had a problem. Now it has shoddy foam.

Mike

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #5916668 - 06/12/13 10:36 AM

I hear ya, I am still using mine from last year for my EPs. I get the whole argument that you spend $$$ on EPs to have a $25 case is somewhat foolish, I get that and was about to order a Pelican Storm case but then I looked at the HF case and the foam and it's doing a good job, one year later. Yeah it won't last forever and isn't waterproof or breakproof but as long as I am careful, I think I can get another couple years (if I really wanted to) before feeling like I need to replace the foam and if you need to replace the foam, might as well replace the case, since the case was so cheap to begin with.

[/ramble]

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: Starman81]
      #5916716 - 06/12/13 11:01 AM

My HFT cases have lasted at least six years now. None of them have fallen apart at the hinges, none of the handles have broken. But now the shoddy foam ruins the whole deal. So you pay $20 for the case, then $40 for good foam? That's $60 already. Maybe it's time to start shopping for another case.

I think the Pelican 1500 case comes nearest in size to the HFT large case. But the 1500 is at least $100. Might be a good deal, though, if you intend to keep using the same case for years and years, and you have some expensive eyepieces you don't want to worry about. I'm finally getting to that position.

A plus for the 1500 - and other Pelican cases - is that the foam can be easily replaced from many sources. Also, the 1500 appears to be deeper than the HFT case. That would make it easier and safer to store long eyepieces vertically, which is the way I like to do it to save space - and store more eyepieces.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5916731 - 06/12/13 11:06 AM

Yellow might be nice. Easier to see at the dark site.

Pelican 1500 Case with Foam (Yellow)

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5916734 - 06/12/13 11:09 AM

In the reviews, I noticed some guy used his 1500 case to transport a Wii unit. Talk about a pig in a poke. He should have just thrown that mess in an HFT case.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5916739 - 06/12/13 11:12 AM

These Pelican cases are so nice I might buy a separate smaller one for my small planet/lunar eyepieces.

Mike

Geo31
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
      #5916748 - 06/12/13 11:18 AM

I wsa just planning on bending the metal tabs flat against the side of the top. I figured that would also help hold in the upper foam.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: Geo31]
      #5916755 - 06/12/13 11:27 AM

That would work, too. Be careful, though, because IIRC those tabs are involved with the hinges, and you might weaken the case by bending the tabs.

Since the HFT cases now have the metal tabs and the shoddy foam, they are a lost cause for me. I'll keep the HFT cases I already have and work around the problems, but I'm not buying anymore of them.

Mike

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
      #5916824 - 06/12/13 12:05 PM

Quote:

I think the Pelican 1500 case comes nearest in size to the HFT large case. But the 1500 is at least $100. Might be a good deal, though, if you intend to keep using the same case for years and years, and you have some expensive eyepieces you don't want to worry about. I'm finally getting to that position.

A plus for the 1500 - and other Pelican cases - is that the foam can be easily replaced from many sources. Also, the 1500 appears to be deeper than the HFT case. That would make it easier and safer to store long eyepieces vertically, which is the way I like to do it to save space - and store more eyepieces.

+1 on the Pelican 1500; also found locally a $32 case similar to the Pelican:

$32 "CDR-King" watertight case

Sample EP layout (vertical EP layout is also possible):

Below is side-by-side with the Pelican 1500:

Pelican 1500 top, CDR-King bottom

Not sure if this is available in the US, but maybe someone will import these there. Case review here.

Best,

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1686

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics