Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Improving Polar Alignment Adjuster Mechanics new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5907719 - 06/07/13 10:53 AM

Lots of possibilities here. Smoothing both surfaces is one, but they need to be smoothed flat which may be difficult and two flat surfaces can "stick" together so lube may be necessary.

Lube by itself is a possibility but only one I would use on a mount that is not going to be removed from the tripod since dirt will get in there and make things worse.

Plastic from a milk jug is cheap and seems to work reasonably well. I have cut thick PTFE bearings for people to put between the mount and tripod and that seems to work very well.

TPI Astro is considering making an adjuster similar to the one they made for the CGE but for the EQ6. Ideally, this should work for the CGEM as well. It will not be cheap, but it will allow for very fine adjustment.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Edmond S.

Reged: 07/05/10

Re: Improving Polar Alignment Adjuster Mechanics new [Re: EFT]
      #5908122 - 06/07/13 03:05 PM

I use PTFE sheet between my mount and the home-made wooden pier plate, and add some lithium grease on the azimuth bolt screw. It works pretty well.

Edited by Edmond S. (06/07/13 03:06 PM)

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
Re: Improving Polar Alignment Adjuster Mechanics new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5908165 - 06/07/13 03:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Does anyone have any tricks or techniques that would make it easier to adjust the azimuth alignment on a CGEM?

Sure do! Link. A fellow NE Ohio CGEM owner and I got a 1' piece of this stuff each. We cut donuts out and installed. No more azimuth adjustment problems - at all. With the center bolt fully tightened, the azimuth adjustments are now smooth as butter - actually feels like it's on bearings!

Have you tried that on the CGE?

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Improving Polar Alignment Adjuster Mechanics new [Re: Alph]
      #5908234 - 06/07/13 04:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Does anyone have any tricks or techniques that would make it easier to adjust the azimuth alignment on a CGEM?

Sure do! Link. A fellow NE Ohio CGEM owner and I got a 1' piece of this stuff each. We cut donuts out and installed. No more azimuth adjustment problems - at all. With the center bolt fully tightened, the azimuth adjustments are now smooth as butter - actually feels like it's on bearings!

No, I haven't since the CGE never caused me much grief in AZ adjustments, at least not nearly as much as the CGEM DX. Now you've got me thinking...

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5908295 - 06/07/13 04:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The CGE uses an internal adjustment mechanism whose problem is the very coarse adjustment mechanism itself as opposed to two painted metal plate rubbing together. No at all the same problem as a CGEM or Atlas mount and cannot be solved in the same manner.

A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: Improving Polar Alignment Adjuster Mechanics new [Re: Patrick]
      #5908363 - 06/07/13 04:54 PM

I would echo the advice for the plastic milk/water jug idea. I bought a 1 gallon 99c water gallon... Used the water to make coffee and water some plants, then proceeded to cut a rough circle, brought it to the CGEM mount head attachment, cut out the center hole and cut a notch for the alignment peg. Then i sprayed it with WD40.

Works like a charm. No need to loosed the attachment bolt, you can keep it tight. Alt-AZ adjustment is easy.

Total cost 99c

Al

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
Re: Improving Polar Alignment Adjuster Mechanics new [Re: EFT]
      #5908367 - 06/07/13 04:55 PM

Quote:

The CGE uses an internal adjustment mechanism whose problem is the very coarse adjustment mechanism itself as opposed to two painted metal plate rubbing together. No at all the same problem as a CGEM or Atlas mount and cannot be solved in the same manner.

I think it is a universal problem with all mounts that have azimuth bolts including the AP900/1200. I believe the Paramount MX/ME II mounts are exception. They don’t have azimuth bolts.

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
      #5918082 - 06/13/13 12:56 AM

Just as a followup...I added a layer of Slick Strips, available at Woodcraft, to the top of my pier plate and that pretty much solved my problem with polar aligning in the azimuth direction. I did not have to loosen the center bolt and I could still move the mount using the two azimuth knobs.
The polar align routine went from a 10 minute ordeal to a 60 second operation.

Thanks for the inputs!

Patrick

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: Improving Polar Alignment Adjuster Mechanics [Re: Patrick]
      #5919230 - 06/13/13 05:51 PM

Excellent! Thanks for the link. I'm going to try those too.

Stargazer78
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/05/13

Loc: Susanville California
Re: Improving Polar Alignment Adjuster Mechanics new [Re: WesC]
      #6051446 - 08/28/13 08:23 PM

Where exactly did you install these at? Looks like I am having the same problem.

Stargazer78
professor emeritus

Re: Improving Polar Alignment Adjuster Mechanics new [Re: Stargazer78]
      #6051902 - 08/29/13 03:51 AM

Ok so I made a temp gasket out of a milk jug and it works! Why doesn't these mounts come with a gasket????. I placed a order for those slick strips you guys mentioned. For a $2,000 dollar mount I would of expected better.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Improving Polar Alignment Adjuster Mechanics new [Re: Stargazer78]
      #6051906 - 08/29/13 03:59 AM

One major improvement would be to re-tap the adjustment bolts with a larger-diameter but finer-pitch thread.

I think the existing bolts are M5 or M6 x 1mm.. if re-tapped for M8 x 0.5 you'd immediately get twice the resolution.

Also the bolt handle if it had ridges would be better. for example on the Mach1, the bolt handle has lots of ridges on it, so you get precisely 3 arc-min per ridge. the CGEM just has this cheesy round-ish bolt handle, don't know about the DX. i guess ADM handles would do better here but they only have four lobes - not a lot of resolution.

Stargazer78
professor emeritus

Re: Improving Polar Alignment Adjuster Mechanics new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6051909 - 08/29/13 04:04 AM

Its just sad that of all things a milk jug fixes this issue!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1187

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics