Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Tom S.

Reged: 02/16/07

Loc: Benicia, Calif.
Quick LXD75 disassembly question
      #5920426 - 06/14/13 11:44 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Anyone know how to remove the LXD75 Dec setting circle retaining ring? I'm having no luck trying to unscrew it or pry it off, with any reasonable level of force. Won't budge. Before applying any more force and risking breaking it, I'd love to know how it's supposed to come off. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Quick LXD75 disassembly question new [Re: Tom S.]
      #5921251 - 06/14/13 09:06 PM

Tom It's threaded on.
They used some kind of thread lock compound on that ring that you pictured. I wrapped some tape around it and used a good pair of adjustable pliers to crack it loose. I used a pair of the Irwin slip joint pliers(button press to adjust) that have a diamond shape relief in the jaws when closed. They don't let go or slip on you. You don't want to clamp so hard that you deform the ring but tight enough not to slip...

Tom S.

Reged: 02/16/07

Loc: Benicia, Calif.
Re: Quick LXD75 disassembly question new [Re: zerro1]
      #5922419 - 06/15/13 02:56 PM

I got the part off!

Robert, your suggestion worked perfectly. Also, you are correct: there was some blue threadlock. Before unscrewing with adjustable pliers, I squirted a tiny bit of WD40 into the area as well.

- Tom

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Quick LXD75 disassembly question new [Re: Tom S.]
      #5922499 - 06/15/13 04:25 PM

I don't really grasp the ned for locktite on this location since it's not really a "critical" part. all it does is attach the setting circle. It doesn't hold the dec together. the nut with the allen screws behind the setting circle is the dec nut. Just in case you are not familiar with these: keep grease near by, and never dry fit any of the parts. once you tear it down and clean the parts, apply some lube. the parts are one step away from zero clearance so they can bind real easy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 211

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics