Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Outdoor ad signs new
      #5895159 - 05/31/13 10:11 PM

Driving I-74 to Indianapolis the eye is confronted with probably hundreds of double-stack outdoor signs all lit by multiple floodlights from below.The interstate's own overhead signs are also lit from below.

Since any attempt to require down lights from the top of the structures are going to be fought based on the argument and reality that higher lights are more dangerous for the workers I doubt much can be done.

Am I wrong?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Outdoor ad signs new [Re: BigC]
      #5895730 - 06/01/13 10:00 AM

Well, if the new 'shine down' lights were LEDs, they would use a lot less power, the brightness could be adjusted according to the traffic level, and they would need to be replaced far less frequently.

Of benefit to reducing LP, they would naturally be shielded.

Matthew Ota
Hmmm

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Re: Outdoor ad signs new [Re: George N]
      #5902141 - 06/04/13 04:30 PM

The outdoor advertising industry is taking steps to install systems on digital billboards that will adjust brightness to lower levels at night.

richard7Moderator
Not Quite

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
Re: Outdoor ad signs new [Re: Matthew Ota]
      #5902230 - 06/04/13 05:21 PM

Another thing that may be a problem with overhead lamps is more glare and eye fatigue on drivers.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: Outdoor ad signs new [Re: Matthew Ota]
      #5902595 - 06/04/13 08:36 PM

Quote:

The outdoor advertising industry is taking steps to install systems on digital billboards that will adjust brightness to lower levels at night.

We have several of those around here. I find that at night they give off far less light pollution than the standard plaza lights. The car dealerships and all-night restaurant parking lot lights give off much more pollution than the digital billboards.

obin

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Outdoor ad signs [Re: obin robinson]
      #5920505 - 06/14/13 12:28 PM

In my general area (NY’s “Southern Tier”, along the PA border) the Town of Vestal is the local ‘strip-mall capital’. They have banned digital signs, not for the LP issue, but because the town board considers them a distraction to drivers and thus a driving safety issue.

Unrelated to signs: The Vestal town board also banned lights on private windmill power generator towers. It’s my understanding that some residents complained that they were annoying.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 494

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics