Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
Orion64
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/29/09

Loc: Western Cape, South Africa
Letter templates to light polluting neighbor?
      #5921893 - 06/15/13 09:41 AM

Hi folks.

I have been enjoying a relatively dark sky for my observing sessions until last weekend. The neighbor on my observing side, was involved in a burglary. As I am writing this, he is busy surrounding his yard with fencing.

What bothers me is, he has installed six bright lights in his yard, beautifully lighting up my observatory to the extent that I can sit outside at night, reading a book...

I have figured that, if he could at least just redirect the lights so that it shines directly on his yard, it should still be okay for me to do some observing. There is a 6feet wall between us, which should shield at least 90% of the light.

Does anyone know of a template letter that I can use and leave for him to read? The letter will need to explain my concern in a friendly tone but in such a way that he would understand the seriousness of the matter.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
schinia

Reged: 05/17/13

Loc: cape carteret,NC
Re: Letter templates to light polluting neighbor? new [Re: Orion64]
      #5921984 - 06/15/13 10:38 AM

i had your same problem, my neighbor (his second home, is not there all the time) last year installed huge lights on each corner of his back yard, and said i would be happy by what he did. (?????) it lit up the his, and my place to the extent where it looked like a airport landing field !! and he left these lights on all night long, (they were on a sensor) when he left to go home (for a couple of weeks) he turned off the sensor. it got so i had to put blankets over the bedroom windows so i could sleep at night when he was here. i finally confronted him and asked him if he would please turn them off after 11:00 pm so it would not bother me sleeping. after he left to go home, he left the lights on for over 2 weeks. well i guess some people just don't respect others. so after a while i figured i would throw a blanket over the light closest to me to block out the light. but low and behold after a few minutes it blew out the whole system. when he came back he worked on it trying to fix them, but never succeeded. it was better than taking an ax, and chopping thru the ground where the elec line was. but i also learned something. if you have any idea that the person only cares about himself, action is better than communication.

Orion64
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/29/09

Loc: Western Cape, South Africa
Re: Letter templates to light polluting neighbor? new [Re: schinia]
      #5922137 - 06/15/13 11:51 AM

This is the exact same thing with this guy! Its his second home, so the lights are on 24/7 when he is not here during the week. On weekends it goes on from just after sunset and stays on through the night.

schinia

Reged: 05/17/13

Loc: cape carteret,NC
Re: Letter templates to light polluting neighbor? new [Re: Orion64]
      #5922186 - 06/15/13 12:21 PM

so as cruel or harsh as it may seem, (if he's self centered as my neighbor) to confront him, only lets him know who's responsible if something happens to his lights. a similar thing happened to me (and others) in our subdivision on the ocean. we had a walkway with benches, and everyone would sit on the top of the bench railing, and put their feet on the bench seat. one neighbor didn't like this, and made a pointed stick, and bolted them on the part that people sat on. some neighbors were complaining about what he did. (to me) and were going to confront him and ask him to remove them. (by the way he was a very good friend of mine.) i asked them did they think he would agree to take them off ? and they said no they didn't think so. so i said why bother to alert him. just go there at night with a hacksaw and cut them off, and get rid of the pieces that were removed, or he would simply reinstall them. but he wouldn't go to the trouble to make new ones. that was done and everyone remained friends.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 405

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics