Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
astrobeast

Reged: 09/26/09

Loc: Pasadena, CA
DSP Hypertuning for CGE Mount - Worth It?
      #5924050 - 06/16/13 04:21 PM

Hi,

I purchase a used CGE mount in excellent condition (had seen light use and had been stored indoors) a few years back. My currently living situation has prevented me from getting it outdoors (I knew this at the time, but found a good deal), but it seems to work fine in putting it through its paces when I have tested indoors. In the near future my situation should allow me to start using it for real, but was wondering if it is worth having it sent to DSP for Hypertuning.

So I am interested in hearing peoples experiences with DSP's Hypertuning service. Is it worth it, did it improve the performance of your mount?

Additionally, would be interested in what upgrade options do users who have purchased them recommend? A few that caught my eye were:

1) Ceramic ball bearings ($50)
2) Aeroquest lapping of the worm and wheel; $150 vs $350 for the upgraded parts. The High Precision upgrade is out of my price range
3) There is a whole range of Mount Control kits and cable upgrades. Not sure I understand them all, will probably call DSP to discuss, but if anyone has purchased one of these, I would be interested in which one(s) and what they thought.

Many Thanks,

Rick

Edited by astrobeast (06/16/13 04:25 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: DSP Hypertuning for CGE Mount - Worth It? new [Re: astrobeast]
      #5924204 - 06/16/13 06:18 PM

Ceramic hybrid worm bearings are definitely worth it, if not completely necessary. The stock bearings are always too tight and often damaged, sometimes severely.

Lapping with new worms may or may not be of benefit for the cost. It really depends on where your mount is to start with. If the PE is not all that bad and the backlash is OK, then it might not be worth putting the extra money into the gears. I generally recommend against working on the gears unless or until you have a good idea of what the mount's performance is to start with, and that means have PE data and curves.

Cables may or may not be a problem. For some people they are and they benefit from cable upgrades. For others they are unnecessary. This is one of the areas where these is a lot of variability with these mounts. I have had two CGE mounts and both were fine with the standard cables. I have known others who have had nothing but trouble. The cable upgrades are not particularly difficult to do, but you have to be very careful when doing them because one of the boards in the CGE mount is usually mislabeled so that if you plug things back in the wrong way (the right way according to the labeling on one side of the board), then you burn out the motor board.

In general, the best way to know what, if anything, needs to be done with your mount is to know how it is performing in the first place.

KD58
sage

Reged: 11/23/12

Loc: West Texas
Re: DSP Hypertuning for CGE Mount - Worth It? new [Re: EFT]
      #5924297 - 06/16/13 07:39 PM

Ed: I just bought a used CGE and it is due to be shipped to me tomorrow. I've already decided to ship it out to you as soon as I receive it. On Gary Bennets website he lists all the different cable and mount control kits that you install too. But to novices like me it's difficult to figure out if all of them will enhance performance beyond HyperTune and do I need both kit 1 and 2 or just one of them. I don't know if this is the best venue to ask this question but there is another thread running at present on the same subject and maybe you can answer this question or the one posed on the other.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: DSP Hypertuning for CGE Mount - Worth It? new [Re: KD58]
      #5924667 - 06/16/13 11:57 PM

It really helped my CGEM. I can't imagine it would hurt. If it's a 'forever' mount for you, why not spend a few hundred bucks and get it tuned?

Dave did a really good job with my not so good CGEM. It was night and day.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: DSP Hypertuning for CGE Mount - Worth It? new [Re: KD58]
      #5924702 - 06/17/13 12:26 AM

Quote:

Ed: I just bought a used CGE and it is due to be shipped to me tomorrow. I've already decided to ship it out to you as soon as I receive it. On Gary Bennets website he lists all the different cable and mount control kits that you install too. But to novices like me it's difficult to figure out if all of them will enhance performance beyond HyperTune and do I need both kit 1 and 2 or just one of them. I don't know if this is the best venue to ask this question but there is another thread running at present on the same subject and maybe you can answer this question or the one posed on the other.

The cable kit that the most people install is the RA and DEC cable kit. That's where most of the problems with the original cables occur. The other kits give you more consistency in connectors and a more consistent look, but they also require rewiring things like the hand controller cable and require a special cable for the autoguider as well so they are not used as much.

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 352

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics