Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Garage Door Openers? new [Re: Footbag]
      #5983700 - 07/21/13 09:43 PM

Adam,

Imagine a store twice as big as your average Lowes and you have Menards. They're pretty fantastic.

The thing I always ran short of was bolts. Buy 20-30 1/4" longer ones and 20-30 1/4" shorter ones. Buy 10-15 1/4 lag screws. And have enough fender washers for every bolt/screw you buy.

Beyond that, some scrap lumber to frame in the Genie is all you really need. Oh, and maybe an extra 4x4x10' if you end up having to 'rig' up the stopping point.

Good luck!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

Re: Garage Door Openers? new [Re: Footbag]
      #5984618 - 07/22/13 03:10 PM

Quote:

Yes. Its 8x10 and weighs roughly 450lbs. But I can slide it relatively easily so its not 450lbs of force required. Garage doors have the springs to compensate for their weight. Hard to figure how that translates to a roof. I'm thinking a 1/2hp screw drive would work. The other side of me says go overkill just in case.

I've got a fairly heavy roof, probably over four hundred pounds but that's guessing. It's on an eight by twelve foot roof. Take a look at the photos on my website and make a comparison. I'm using a three quarter HP opener. It's more than adequate in summer but in winter I think it a half HP would not be enough.

You might want to think about the long term. Wear and tear will probably be a lot greater on the half HP compared to the three quarter HP.

I have springs absorbing the sudden shock when the opener motor starts. They allow the opener to run at a lower force level than if the roof was directly connected to the opener.

Raginar
Postmaster

Re: Garage Door Openers? new [Re: Lorence]
      #5985158 - 07/22/13 09:28 PM

Lorence, how do you have your springs rigged?

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

Re: Garage Door Openers? new [Re: Raginar]
      #5987977 - 07/24/13 03:19 PM

Quote:

Lorence, how do you have your springs rigged?

The springs are fairly heavy, over 1" in diameter. I don't know how much force can be applied to them before they deform but sure they will take 75 to 100 lbs of pull without over stretching.

They are both attached to the roof opener trolly and then to the roof. They oppose each other. One spring takes the load when the roof opens the other when the roof closes.

The springs were installed with enough pre-tension so that as the pulling spring is being stretched to its max the opposing spring is able to take up the movement without collapsing completely.

This is an image of similar springs

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/vipdesignusa/vipdesignusa1006/vipdesignusa1...

You can see that they can be pulled apart but not squeezed together. If the opposing spring is allowed to collapse completely it becomes a solid bar. The trolly would push on it instead of pulling on the other spring.

There are a few photos of the spring setup on my website. The first one is looking directly at the opener which is mounted sideways on the outside wall. You can see the black opener track. The silver trolly is behind the track, you can just see one edge of it. The springs are behind the trolly. One stretched out to the left of the trolly the other to the right. They are attached to the roof by the two metal brackets above the springs.

The second photo is looking up at the springs and trolly from the floor. The roof is closed against hard stops in this photo. The spring on the right is stretched out further than it would be while the roof is moving. At this point the opposing spring is completely collapsed. The roof cannot be moved by pushing on it from the outside. The collapsed spring is like a solid bag attached to the trolly. You would have break something in that setup to move the roof from the outside. Unless you release the trolly mechanism by pulling on the red rope going through the right hand spring. You can see the size of the springs in this photo. They are about the same diameter as the opener track.

Raginar
Postmaster

Re: Garage Door Openers? new [Re: Lorence]
      #5988548 - 07/24/13 09:43 PM

That's really interesting Lorence. How did you determine the correct springs to purchase?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3020

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics