Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: How heavy-duty a mount for 10" RC new [Re: pfile]
      #5923212 - 06/16/13 04:12 AM

pfile, he's not planning to do long-exposure AP. a Mach1 is overkill for visual only..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
powerstroke01
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/19/07

Loc: Western Sierra Nevada Foothill...
      #5923548 - 06/16/13 10:49 AM

My AT10RC on a G11 is near perfect. My vote is for a g11...

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: How heavy-duty a mount for 10" RC new [Re: AlphaGJohn]
      #5924168 - 06/16/13 05:48 PM

Quote:

psandelle--thanks much for the direct experience. I'm still wondering if I need the iEQ45 or if the iEQ30 would do it--I wouldn't expect to exceed the rated capacity of the 30 (which they say is 31), but if I'd end up substantially steadier with the 45, that might be the way to go. It's hard to know because it's not a standard scope.... Maybe I'll give the iOptron folks a call and see how their vaunted customer service is on a pre-sales call.

I'm also curious about the new iEQ45 that can go Alt-Az or EQ and has a dual scope option in Alt-Az; might be a cool option; doesn't seem to be available with the 30.

Thanks all!

John

If you are going to get an imaging scope, which the RC is, then you should get a imaging mount. If you get a smaller mount where you are near the rated capacity, you will only regret it. Stick with the middle weight mounts at least. You will end up happier in the long rund.

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: How heavy-duty a mount for 10" RC new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5924800 - 06/17/13 02:20 AM

Quote:

pfile, he's not planning to do long-exposure AP. a Mach1 is overkill for visual only..

missed that, i do clearly have reading comprehension issues.

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #5924812 - 06/17/13 02:39 AM

Actually Ed has a point. RCs are imaging scopes, so to use one solely for visual seems a waste... An SCT or classical Cass or even a DK would arguably be more than sufficient for visual only...

pfile
Post Laureate

Re: How heavy-duty a mount for 10" RC new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5924829 - 06/17/13 03:21 AM

true, that's kinda why i jumped to the conclusion that the purpose was AP.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5925207 - 06/17/13 10:49 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the main issue with that design, when used for visual, is the lack of contrast due to the very large central obstruction.
Because of that I always thought RC's were very poor visual performers. There might be more that I am not aware of.

pfile
Post Laureate

Re: How heavy-duty a mount for 10" RC new [Re: andysea]
      #5925564 - 06/17/13 01:42 PM

there's a heck of a lot of discussion in the cats&casses forum about whether or not 'large' central obstructions *really* reduce contrast. i don't understand enough about optics to come to my own conclusion...

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5925593 - 06/17/13 01:51 PM

Yeah I'm with you. I don't know plus I have no direct experience since I never looked through my 10" RC when I owned one.

pfile
Post Laureate

#5925608 - 06/17/13 01:56 PM

i know, me neither. i think some people would think we are crazy owning a telescope and never putting an eye to it!

i should get a 2" diagonal and just try it for fun.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Re: How heavy-duty a mount for 10" RC [Re: pfile]
      #5925670 - 06/17/13 02:27 PM

You can borrow mine, I have a 2" diagonal that has seen very very little use

AlphaGJohn

Reged: 06/12/13

Loc: Wasatch Front, Utah
      #5962197 - 07/09/13 01:30 PM

I went with the iOptron iEQ45--I haven't got the 10" RC fully set up, but I did a jury-rigged setup the other night and stability was not a problem--I immediately ordered the counter-weight shaft extension, though (wish I'd done that with the initial order). The description with the shaft extension includes a mention of the fact that it raises the mount's capacity up to its full rated 45#--that would have been nice to know when I placed the order for the mount.

At any rate, it takes a bit of time to set up the tripod & mount because the individual parts have to be lugged out (I don't have it packaged very well for transport yet) and then set up, but it sure seems like stability will be fine.

RE AP vs. visual: I bought the mirror set for this scope years ago--before the Dob revolution had really hit its stride and I just do not have the time/interest/budget to do AP, but I do like to look! So, I'm finally getting around to completing the scope.

In the mean time, my C 102GT is solid as a rock on the iEQ45 also. So, I might have been satisfied with the iEQ30, but given that I immediately needed the CW shaft extension, probably a good thing to have gone w/ the heavier option. I just need to get the pieces parts set up for easier transport. (Trying to buy a long-skinny duffle bag, such as for the tripod turns out to be more difficult than I'd expected: if it's long enough, it's 18" in diameter! So I currently have a very floppy bag for the tripod legs.)

John

Jared
Postmaster

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.
Re: How heavy-duty a mount for 10" RC new [Re: AlphaGJohn]
      #5965083 - 07/11/13 01:21 AM

The 45 is a MUCH better choice for a 10" RC. You won't be sorry you skipped the 30.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1515

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics