Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Joining the Ranks... new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5928294 - 06/18/13 09:30 PM

Absolutely wonderful work Justin. Congratulations on a job very well done. You will get many years of enjoyment out of that scope. As I always say, "lovely to look through, lovely to look at."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aperturefever

Reged: 12/12/10

Loc: Lake Macquarie, Australia
Re: Joining the Ranks... new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5928761 - 06/19/13 07:52 AM

Justin,
I did something very similar at your age. Many years on, I'll never forget the satisfaction and the sense of adventure I had from rebuilding an old scope and the views I was rewarded by. You've got yourself a life experience right there. You're way ahead of your years. Well done mate.

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Re: Joining the Ranks... new [Re: Aperturefever]
      #5928829 - 06/19/13 09:04 AM

Well-done, young man!

When I was your age (1972), I was making my first molded fiberglass tube in my dad's garage. 10" diameter, for an 8" f/7 Newtonian. I checked-out Neil E. Howard's "Standard Handbook" from the public library and followed his method. Worked pretty well!

That was my first experience with composites. Of course, I reasoned while mixing my resin, ignoring Howard's advice, "if ten drops of catalyst is good, half the bottle would be even better!"

Good thing the resin bucket was near the open garage door and I could kick it out in the alley before the flames got too bad. Lesson learned!

Gil V
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Re: Joining the Ranks... new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #5928847 - 06/19/13 09:32 AM

Nice job, dude. I think it's great when the next generation starts to enter the hobby.

A couple of questions - how are the coatings? Does the drive work? I have an old clutch assy and worm gear - they are yours if needed. If you need help with that, let me know.

I used to build RV-6's back at the plant in the late 70's. Small world, huh?

If the scope is losing collimation, it's probably the primary moving in it's cell.

Edited by Gil V (06/19/13 09:35 AM)

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Joining the Ranks... new [Re: Dave M]
      #5928957 - 06/19/13 10:36 AM

Now the bad news, every scope you look at buying is going to be a let down optically..lol
Great job.. welcome here...

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: Joining the Ranks... new [Re: orion61]
      #5929140 - 06/19/13 12:35 PM

Fabulous restoration, Justin! You would love to read the thread about how Datapanic restored the trashed, rusted remains of a Cave found in a field while horseback riding. Soon enough, you'll be working such magic! It's among the longest threads on Cloudy Nights, but guaranteed a real thriller page-turner!

Me? I'm a mere wannabe, currently with limited skills, but always learning, so I'm in awe of your prowess. When I bought a salt-encrusted C8, it proved to be beyond my ability, so I sent it to Larry Beach (Orion61 in the post above) to refurbish. It's sitting in the post office now, waiting for me to rescue it and see his handywork!

Edited by Joe Cepleur (06/19/13 12:36 PM)

HoundDog
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/04

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Joining the Ranks... new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #5929148 - 06/19/13 12:39 PM

Outstanding job and I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labors!
Well done!

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
Re: Joining the Ranks... new [Re: HoundDog]
      #5929200 - 06/19/13 01:15 PM

Joe,
I had "limited skills" as well before I started, it just took a little time to think out each step, and the Internet is a big help! Always fun to start a new project and the finished product is great, especially when you take pictures the whole way

Edited by youngamateur42 (06/19/13 01:24 PM)

GalaxyCollide

Reged: 03/23/13

Loc: NY, Long island
      #5929239 - 06/19/13 01:28 PM

So, what's your next project

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Re: Joining the Ranks... new [Re: GalaxyCollide]
      #5929254 - 06/19/13 01:33 PM

I had to get rid of a lot of stuff just to have space for the scope, so, probably next, find some more space. I had thought about doing a 10 inch reflector, f-4.5 +. That would be great. There's a couple of old starfinders in the classIfieds right now, that's what I want, the GEM version. But that's for later on, I want to enjoy the RV-6

Compressorguy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/09

Loc: Clayton, NC
      #5929533 - 06/19/13 03:27 PM

Justin, welcome to our fold and might I say what a fantastic job you did on that RV-6. I have one myself and they are great scopes. It should give you plenty to look at for some time and has very good optics. Try to find you a Philips SPC900NC webcam and really have some moon/planet imaging fun you can show off to your friends/family.

Again well done!!

albert1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Re: Joining the Ranks... new [Re: Compressorguy]
      #5929677 - 06/19/13 04:56 PM

Wow Justin - great job indeed. I know how much fun that was. What a way to kick-off your summer of 2013.

I really love that upgraded focus knob. You sure can get some fine focus with those big wheels.

You'll be enjoying that RV6 all summer long. I bet some of your friends will be so amazed by what they see with your classic telescope that they'll probably want one of their own. Have fun.

Chassetter
sage

Reged: 07/08/09

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Joining the Ranks... new [Re: albert1]
      #5929738 - 06/19/13 05:31 PM

Your blog wasa good read, you definitely have a passion young man! Jean Texerau's atm book is great too, includes how to for alt az mount+tripod for 8" f/6 newt project and a 10" classical cassegrain. When you get a hankering down the line, save the linky for internet teleport:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Telescope-Jean-Texereau/dp/0943396042

Edited by Chassetter (06/19/13 05:32 PM)

nightpilot

Reged: 02/16/12

Loc: Southern Suburbs, Chicago
      #5929861 - 06/19/13 06:47 PM

What a great job. I hope this brings a great deal of enjoyment to you.

Bob

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Re: Joining the Ranks... new [Re: nightpilot]
      #5929869 - 06/19/13 06:52 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

Well, the nylon thumbscrews came in the mail this morning and I was eager to try them out with the original finder scope. It looks pretty good, and best of all, the paint should stay in nice condition! I haven't repainted the brand name yet, just one more thing on the checklist, but soon enough

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

#5929979 - 06/19/13 08:14 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

My first time out with the RV-6 was on the 18th of June, also my longest observing session ever! Here's a sketch of M8 (Lagoon Nebula) at 46x with UHC filter:

GalaxyCollide

Reged: 03/23/13

Loc: NY, Long island
      #5929999 - 06/19/13 08:28 PM

That is really a nice sketch! Great work!

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: Joining the Ranks... new [Re: GalaxyCollide]
      #5930044 - 06/19/13 08:55 PM

Wow... You refurbish a classic scope, consider buying another, and then *sketch* (!) with the one you have! Justin, you are a one-man resurgence in classical visual astronomy!

Something to ponder: If, in the local classifieds, you happen upon a good deal for the 10" f/4.5 you want to refurbish next, consider buying it while it happens to be available. This may be a terrible idea, promoting pack-rat-ism (as it might be for me), or an excellent idea, leveraging foresight to buy something you're sure you want (if you are), rather than find later that it is no longer available so close to home, for the right price, when you happen to be ready to work on it. Don't rush and jump. Buying ahead allows you to buy slowly, to ponder and choose carefully, without having to rush when you are ready to work.

Thank you for your words of encouragement. One reason I'm a wanabee is lack of a workshop, something I want to have, and hope to have after I move, which will be soon. Then, there is a certain Tasco 7te-5 refractor with an optical tube in fine condition, but a mount that needs to be wholly disassembled and re-greased. The salt-encrusted C8 was another story. It turned out to be so corroded together that it was smarter to send it to an expert. How Larry removed the ring holding the corrector plate without shattering the glass I'll never know, even though he described it well and posted pictures. With a Schmidt-Cassegrain, if you shatter the corrector, it's game over. In Newtonian, one might lament the loss of an original mirror, but it could be replaced with a new one, and the scope would still work. Sometimes, it's best to turn jobs over to experienced hands.

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Re: Joining the Ranks... new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5930073 - 06/19/13 09:17 PM

Classics or bust Joe!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1150

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics