Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Heidescoper
sage

Reged: 11/21/10

Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany
Re: The Western Veil new [Re: PeterDob]
      #5942444 - 06/27/13 02:24 AM

hi all,
Peter:
when I see Your sketch I have a real feeling to view in an eyepiece ! I like the star colours too .
The Baader-OIII is a narrow Filter.
You need more aperture as with a Lumicon OIII or Astronomik but with 18" You make all right !

Bye
Christian

Edited by Heidescoper (06/27/13 02:25 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PeterDob
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/29/05

Loc: CarĂ¹, Italy
Re: The Western Veil new [Re: Heidescoper]
      #5947700 - 06/30/13 08:59 AM

Many thanks, Ken and Christian. Indeed, an OIII filter is quite narrow. But for the Veil it is just perfect because it brings out every subtle detail. However I disagree that this filter should be reserved for larger telescopes. It only depends on "how" you use it and what for. Generally you should consider that for an OIII filter the maximum mag is about 8-10x the scope's aperture in inches. Obviously it also depends on the sort of objects because on small but bright planetaries you may push the mag even much higher. Now suppose you have a 4-inch fast refractor. It is perfectly possible to use the OIII at low mags and observe the Veil in its totality, or why not the North America nebula?

Peter

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: The Western Veil new [Re: PeterDob]
      #5948633 - 06/30/13 08:27 PM

Very true Pete. The OIII would conceivably be fitting got a 25mm aperture if it existed so long as it applied to the 8-10x per inch of aperture. I find that's the ideal magnification but even 25x-30x per inch of aperture has proven effective. Its more striking at lower mags like the 8-10x RoT but its still helps on planetary NEB etc.

When these filters first came out done if the press or reviews rather wrongly peddled it as a larger aperture accessory. Then I went to a star party and saw the truth of the matter.

Good points Pete!

Peye

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 887

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics