Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
Mr Greybush
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/13

Loc: Virginia
attaching a dovetail bar to an older 8" cat new
      #5927870 - 06/18/13 04:22 PM

My new mount for my 8" will be here tomorrow so I picked up a dovetail bar yesterday. This wasn't hard but I wanted to make sure I did it right. Since this is an older model SCT I'm limited to 2 areas to mount it. The dovetail I used was manufacured by Farpoint. I followed the directions but ran into one problem. the thick spacer appeared to wide thus making the bar unlevel. I used some washers to recover from this. Did I do this right??

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: attaching a dovetail bar to an older 8" cat new [Re: Mr Greybush]
      #5927942 - 06/18/13 05:08 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Assuming you are discussing the C8 it's fairly easy. If the side that goes to the scope isn't cut down at one end then it probably doesn't matter which end goes where. The rear end should have a radius block with a threaded hole in the center and two through holes on the ends. The through holes should be about 1.75" apart O.C. The front should have a radius block or spacer with a hole large enough for a #10 screw to slip through and that fits between the bar and the scope to maintain the bar parallel with the center axis of the scope.

Mr Greybush
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/13

Loc: Virginia
Re: attaching a dovetail bar to an older 8" cat [Re: Geo.]
      #5928003 - 06/18/13 05:48 PM

OK George the bar didn't come with a second like the one you show. I'll have to call them and see if they can fix this for me. Thanks it answered my question

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 125

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics