Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
nmitsthefish

Reged: 06/17/13

Loc: Northern Berkshires, MA
Re: Eyepiece Madness new [Re: sg6]
      #5927996 - 06/18/13 05:46 PM

Quote:

The 8mm fits the requirements, performs well at f/5 so on the Orion should handle the f/5.9 quiet easily and they have a wider view and better eye relief then a plossl.

So you think I should eliminate the 6.7mm or 7mm options? How do I determine how well they would perform given my specs? Because I was leaning towards Jarrods advice and starting with the 6.7 then go for the 8.8 later. I'm talking about if I spent the extra money on the ES. But if I do decide to just go with the paradigm I would definitely go 8mm opposed to 5mm.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nmitsthefish

Re: Eyepiece Madness new [Re: nmitsthefish]
      #5928238 - 06/18/13 08:47 PM

So super exciting news! My order tracking says my scope *should* arrive tomorrow! And the weather forecast says clear skies for the evening, so I may have my first session =) secondly, in my original post it says I have no astronomy clubs within a hundred mile radius? Well apparently there is a "star party" held by Amherst college up on the tallest peak in Massachusetts, and that happens to be basically right in my backyard, ten minute drive! I may get to make some friends after all. Lol sorry I know it's irrelevant, I'm just excited

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Eyepiece Madness [Re: nmitsthefish]
      #5928265 - 06/18/13 09:10 PM

I would encourage you to buy used EPs from well-rated sellers here and Astromart. You will be able to find EPs that are as good as new and put them through their paces. Take very good care of them. Sell them for what you paid if they're not right for you. I've been at this awhile and now have Naglers- none bought new. Keep your mind and eyes open, the madness comes and goes...

cliffy54
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/14/10

Loc: ma
Re: Eyepiece Madness new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5928740 - 06/19/13 07:21 AM

I agree with kfiscus buy used and pay attention to the sellers ratings. I ended up selling about a dozen eyepieces because I just never used them they were like brand new maybe used once or twice of course I sold them at a loss.

I'm pass the eyepiece thing now I have four eyepieces for all my scopes and they get used regularly. If I was ever in the market for an eyepiece I would definitely buy used.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
      #5929125 - 06/19/13 12:24 PM

Quote:

Well apparently there is a "star party" held by Amherst college up on the tallest peak in Massachusetts, and that happens to be basically right in my backyard, ten minute drive! I may get to make some friends after all. Lol sorry I know it's irrelevant, I'm just excited

Can you post some info on that I hadn't heard of it! There's a star party in Plainfield ma I'm going to in August, rockland astronomy club.

I really think you won't get to use the 6.7 much due to atmospheric conditions, but its hard to say.. I haven't observed in the berkshires but I do know we have way more humidity here in the pioneer valley and am closer to larger cities light pollution, so who knows..

What you'll see if the atmosphere isn't supporting a certain magnification : stars start getting soft and fuzzy.. If you Barlow to 12mm.. See what it looks like.. (as already mentioned). and remember thats just that night.. it can vary throughout a single night and night to night (seeing conditions) . Personally I'd go for something in 10-8mm . I have the ES 6.7 and don't get to use it much.

Otoh it is one of the rare ES 82° eyepieces that are in stock. I also second the astro tech paradigm pieces I use them a lot still even though I have other more expensive pieces.

Edited by lamplight (06/19/13 12:43 PM)

Kevdog
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
Re: Eyepiece Madness new [Re: lamplight]
      #5929147 - 06/19/13 12:37 PM

Quote:

For what was described I would consider the Astro-Tech Paradigms at $60.

Quote:

I also second the astro tech paradigm pieces I use them a lot still even though I have other more expensive pieces.

Also note that the Orion Epic IIs are the same eyepiece as teh astro tech Paradigms and are on sale (making them the same price, funny enough).

http://www.telescope.com/Accessories/Telescope-Eyepieces/15mm-Orion-Epic-II-E...

When I went searching for planetary eyepieces these came up highly regarded for not much $$$. Still don't have one yet though!

nmitsthefish

Re: Eyepiece Madness new [Re: Kevdog]
      #5929770 - 06/19/13 05:49 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

It came today guys! I'm so excited!!!!! My XT8 is here! I already took it out during the day to align the EZ Finder which worked absolutely perfectly btw, I know people have trouble with it sometimes. But I cant wait for the clear skies tonight! until I have to go to work at 11:30pm =(

nmitsthefish

Re: Eyepiece Madness new [Re: Kevdog]
      #5929796 - 06/19/13 06:00 PM

Quote:

Also note that the Orion Epic IIs are the same eyepiece as teh astro tech Paradigms and are on sale (making them the same price, funny enough).

I find it pretty strange that so many companies release the same exact pieces as different names as their own(and apparently different prices too!) what a bunch of corporate malarkey..

Allan...
sage

Reged: 10/24/12

Loc: Penticton B.C. Canada
      #5929847 - 06/19/13 06:34 PM

Wow...it didn't take you long to unpack it and put it together. Looks great! Hope you get some nice clear skies tonight. Nothing like that where I am; cloudy and rainy, darn it all anyways..lol.

nmitsthefish

Re: Eyepiece Madness new [Re: Allan...]
      #5929863 - 06/19/13 06:48 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Quote:

Wow...it didn't take you long to unpack it and put it together. Looks great! Hope you get some nice clear skies tonight. Nothing like that where I am; cloudy and rainy, darn it all anyways..lol.

It took me about 45 minutes I'd say to put it together, not bad. And here is my local weather and seeing forecasts for my first night of observing (no idea how to read a clear sky chart though! so I dont even know if its good, I just know it exists lol)

Edited by nmitsthefish (06/19/13 06:55 PM)

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
      #5929894 - 06/19/13 07:07 PM

Let me say that it doesn't get much better than that.

WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA
Re: Eyepiece Madness new [Re: panhard]
      #5929936 - 06/19/13 07:43 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! You're going to love your new scope, it will show you enough to keep you busy for a lifetime.

A quick word about eyepieces. I'd recommend something in the 15mm range, which would fit in well with your 25mm and barlow. I'd recommend the AT Paradigms as well - they're quite capable and the price is right (and our sponsor gives discounts to Cloudy Nights members).

You can visit the cleardarksky home page for more information on how to read the chart, but basically, the darker the blue, the better the view.

Mad_Stars

Reged: 04/21/13

Loc: Canada
Re: Eyepiece Madness new [Re: WaterMaster]
      #5930439 - 06/20/13 12:42 AM

Thats a great scope from what ive heard. Have fun with it. From what ive read a 9mm Nagler would suit your setup well.

billywho

Reged: 01/30/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
      #5930492 - 06/20/13 01:15 AM

[

So you think I should eliminate the 6.7mm or 7mm options? How do I determine how well they would perform given my specs? Because I was leaning towards Jarrods advice and starting with the 6.7 then go for the 8.8 later. I'm talking about if I spent the extra money on the ES. But if I do decide to just go with the paradigm I would definitely go 8mm opposed to 5mm.

I have the entire ES 82 degree line. My XT10 is 1200mm. The 8.8 (136x) is always crisp in the scope. unless you have good seeing conditions the 6.7 (179x) and 4.7mm (255x) can be hit or miss. They are great when the seeing allows that much magnification.

The 8.8 in my opinion though is a little too much magnification when star hopping or searching. I go minimally down to the 11mm (109x) for that.

If your going to get two, I would recommend something higher quality in the 11-14mm for searching the sky, you can Barlow that to get a high mag if seeing allows. Get the ES 8.8, its a great eyepiece (my most used high mag piece).

At some point you'll probably want to get a quality low power eyepiece.

Goodluck

nmitsthefish

Re: Eyepiece Madness new [Re: WaterMaster]
      #5930496 - 06/20/13 01:19 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

So I have a couple things to mention. First, my first night every observing went pretty great!!! I was all alone with my scope, my maps, my red light, and sometimes cheated a little with my stellarium app (hehe), but I think considering that I did pretty well. I only got to observe from about 9-11 and it didnt get really dark until after 9:30 maybe closer to 10. The first thing I looked at was the moon because it was out the earliest, and wow even just that it so amazing. But I then got to Saturn which was awesome and a personal life goal for me lol, and then managed to find both M13 and the Ring Nebula! I really dont know if thats a good day for most people but I'm pretty excited about it.

As for the eyepieces (this IS an eyepiece thread after all), and this is just generally speaking as someone whos never used a real telescope before, I found it pretty hard to get used to looking through them. Especially with the barlow attached you gotta kind of move your eye around and in an out to get rid of like black spots and to get the image as clear as possible, and I thought it was as simple as just looking into it lol. But it is definitely a skill that needs to be learned. Towards the end I found ways of making things clearer by like looking away from the object a little bit or even just sort of mentally honing in on the object. It was especially tough for both M13 and the Ring Nebula, I was having trouble seeing more that just smudges but eventually saw both pretty clearly (able to resolve many individual stars in m13 and a clear ring shape of the nebula) with both the 25mm by itself and barlowed. Oh and I saw a tiny pin point go whizzing by my view about 3 times while i was out tonight, are those satellites? But I just thought it was weird to happen to see multiple in such a small view, I was even able to manually track one for a pretty good distance which I was proud of ;] One went by as I had M13 perfectly in focus and it was glorious, it was like seeing a shooting star while already witnessing something spectacular. SO, once I got acclimated to looking through an eyepiece, I decided that I really enjoyed looking through the 25mm Sirius Plossl. It had amazing detail of the moon, and the fact that I was able to see individual stars in M13 blew my mind. The barlow on the other hand, was very hard to use. When I had my eye perfect things looked pretty good but that was super hard. Most of the time I got like black around the edges and I've heard the term kidney bean somewhere before and I don't know what that is but I definitely had a lot of black spots shaped like kidney beans while trying to view through it. This could all just be a matter of getting used to, and it could be great, I just dont have the experience or anything to compare it to. WHICH brings me to my next topic.

A certain extremely generous CN member PM'd me after reading this thread and offered to just send me his TMB Planetary 9mm to borrow for several weeks, so that I could actually try another eyepiece out and therefore make a way better decision on what I want to eventually get. The fact that this member is doing this for me, a complete stranger, is absolutely incredible and it says a lot about this community and I am so happy to now be a part of it. I just wanted to publicly thank this member and share with the rest of you that story. I'd also like to thank EVERYBODY for all of your great information and time and patience with me!

Also here's a quick snapshot I took of the moon really early in the evening with my iPhone lol

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5930576 - 06/20/13 03:17 AM

This is really your first night? Holy cows. GREAT JOB!!!

The thing with barlows is they narrow the point where you have to place your eye to see the image.. (Focal plane? forget) anyhow.. Yes, Its annoying.. Which is why some people mentioned.. Will you like using a Barlow or not. But its good that you can see what 12mm shows at least. Awesome night.. Got your PM, respond tomorrow .. I might try to get to one of the mt greylock parties that sounds incredible

nmitsthefish

#5930587 - 06/20/13 03:45 AM

Thanks!

I mean I'll just have to practice with the Barlow and see how it goes, I just cant wait to try the TMB 9mm that I'm so lucky to get to borrow. And then trying to barlow that i'm sure is going to be a nightmare for me lol

The issue with the star party is that it currently forecasted to be isolate t-storms =( but only a 30% chance of rain? we'll see how that plays out

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5930784 - 06/20/13 08:25 AM

Well, this is an eyepiece forum, the condition you're describing is one all too common to dob users; it's called "lack of Field of View (FOV)". There are cures, but they'll cost you a bit more then plossels.

Welcome to the Nudge Club! That's an 8" f6 scope and will show you tons of stuff. At the lower end you'll find the Expanses, Paradigms, a step up would be the Hyperions, a small (but totally worth it) move up from there would be the Explore Scientific (ES) 68* and 82* and 100* series; after that you get into the higher end Televues, Pentax, Zeiss. At f6 the Hyperions would probably work pretty well, The ES will have you jumping up and down with joy, but the premium lines will all leave you drop jawed in awe. Are the differences worth the price, that will depend on you.......

I now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.....

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Eyepiece Madness new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5931171 - 06/20/13 12:05 PM

Got this from Kevin regarding Saturdays potential star party ( I asked about camping as I was considering testing out all my new camping gear sat night in a darker zone anyhow... He says regarding all this:
Hi Matt,

Quote:

"... to give the public enough notice I will be making the GO / NO-GO call by 1 PM on Saturday....at which point I will update the website http://www.mtgreylockstarparty.org with the decision and contact the Mt. Greylock Visitor Center so they have an answer when people call in wondering. Please check the website or call the Visitor Center AFTER 1 PM Saturday at 413-499-4262 for the status.

You are correct, there is only walk-in camping at the Sperry Road campground on the mountain.... "

nmitsthefish

#5931196 - 06/20/13 12:23 PM

Oh so there is camping. Nice!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1406

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics