Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Maryland
Dew prevention?
      #5928365 - 06/18/13 10:36 PM

Last night was really dewey here on the East Coast. By the time I went outside, there was already dew forming on the cars. I turned on my dew heaters and then it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to turn on the dew heaters even before I go out side so that dew does not even have a chance to form on the warmer equipment. Is this a good idea or do I suffer the risk of thermal waves inside the scope? Besides dew shield and dew heaters, is there anything else that can be done to prevent dew from forming on the scope and eyepieces? Thanks.
Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Dew prevention? new [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5928429 - 06/18/13 11:30 PM

A little preheating won't hurt. Keep your eyepieces in a case and use the "only one eyepiece out at a time" method. Observing from under a patio umbrella, porch overhang, open garage door or through a tent door can cut down the incidence of dew. It depends on the size of your telescope and the thermal mass of the protective structures. Sometime this adds a few thermal waves but it never hurts to try, especially if your dew heaters quit or have a hard time keeping up. Observing near a line of trees can also work but then one risks the chance of extra pollen or gooey stuff dripping down with the dew.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 127

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics