Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: rmollise]
      #5939998 - 06/25/13 03:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Didn't Meade actually have to catch-up on prime focus imaging in a kind of "me too" fashion when they started producing Hyperstar compatible SCTs?

Meade never produced Hyperstar compatible OTAs. There was a conversion kit for their scopes produced and sold for a while by Starizona. Meade made a line of CCD cameras that were mostly notable for their use of a SCSI connection. Unfortunately, it was hard to get working. IMHO, their most important contribution was more humble, their DSI series, which were different from what else was available at the time.

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: rmollise]
      #5940047 - 06/25/13 04:08 PM

Quote:

For the record, Celestron was there with digital imaging, too, partnering with SBIG to produce the often forgotten Faststar 8 and a camera to go with it. You might say that was more of an innovation than what Meade was doing at the time.

Yes!!

My first imaging setup was an Ultima 2000 with a wedge, Fastar (not Hyperstar) and a Celestron PixCel 237. It was a rebranded SBIG ST237. It's also where the "237" in my username comes from.

That was actually a pretty good setup for the day, but way primitive compared to what we have today. It was also over $7000 to buy it all. Imaging is so much more accessible today.

-Wade

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: WadeH237]
      #5940280 - 06/25/13 06:50 PM

The limitation of dropping Hyperstar capability was probably neutral. Though there are people like me who bought an 11" scope just to do hyperstar, that probably isn't all that common.

-Rich

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starhawk]
      #5940525 - 06/25/13 09:38 PM

Not that I wish ill for Meade but the management needs to be gone. They have rolled out products half working and poorly tested. They have left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths with poor service. With a buyout or sell off of IP there may be a future. More of the same looks like a recipe disaster.

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
      #5940685 - 06/25/13 11:44 PM

Quote:

Though there are people like me who bought an 11" scope just to do hyperstar, that probably isn't all that common.

There are probably a lot of people buying 11" scopes who don't buy Hyperstar, but I'd guess there are quite a few people who buy a Hyperstar along with a C11.

Patirck

Matthew Ota
Hmmm

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Patrick]
      #5940737 - 06/26/13 12:29 AM

I hope Meade survives in one form or another. Celestron needs the competition, and Meade has been very generous and helpful to me in past years, as I do a LOT of public outreach using their equipment.

nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/07

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Matthew Ota]
      #5940893 - 06/26/13 04:16 AM

Quote:

I hope Meade survives in one form or another. Celestron needs the competition, and Meade has been very generous and helpful to me in past years, as I do a LOT of public outreach using their equipment.

I will agree with that one. I have preferred Meade ever since I looked through a friend's 12" SCT. I am not saying Meade is the best, but I have been enjoying my scopes for many years now. It would just not be the same looking for new "toys" if Meade were to close their doors.

Paul Schroeder

Reged: 06/05/03

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: bilgebay]
      #5940961 - 06/26/13 07:01 AM

Here's a short news release on Meade's response to the tender offer:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/meade-considering-tender-offer-215648872.html

Paul

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Paul Schroeder]
      #5941489 - 06/26/13 02:11 PM

As an auditor, I do know that when it's put into audit reports that "going concern" is questioned.....you're in deeeeeeeeep dodo. This isn't used except in extreme cases, and usually is the death knell for many businesses. With "going concern" problems, you're not gonna find anyone, anywhere willing to loan you money. It's really just a matter of time now (and a short time at that).

Glen A W
sage

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: WEST VIRGINIA USA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5941643 - 06/26/13 03:46 PM

Quote:

One other problem with your statement. I am an amateur astronomer, yet I can work several banking, business and contractual deals without a problem for a variety of conditions. Understand, there is an entire range of income represented on this board - folks who cobble together components and parts to build something, those who look for stuff on ebay, those who save every penny to just to get a $2,000 system, mid-range buyers, and folks with millions (and business leaders) who can pay cash for a PlaneWave (trust me, folks typically do not finance a PlaneWave).

One reason Meade is in such trouble is because the economy over the past 15 years has been a fantasy. Imagine, a little company that makes telescopes for hobbyists, going public! Totally ridiculous, for most everyone involved. I love astronomy, but the culture which has come to surround this hobby in the past twenty years, and which is reflected in this comment and so much online talk, makes me wonder. I suppose it is a reflection of a society. It must be online, though, because most people in my club view the extravagance and status symbol scopes as a bit odd. So, I don't take the ones I own around them... GW

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Glen A W]
      #5941679 - 06/26/13 04:05 PM

"...most people in my club view the extravagance and status symbol scopes as a bit odd."

odd as in they think the owner is a stuffed shirt, or odd in that they wish they had such equipment? I'm sure Mr. Stuffed Shirt could care less......What they don't know is what did Mr. Stuffed Shirt sacrifice for this equipment? Did he forego eating out, does he drive a Chevy instead of a Mercedes, or was he just a better investor or did he apply himself, got an education, and got a well paying job that allowed him to purchase the equipment. Sounds to me more like they covet what he has and since they can't have it, there must be something wrong with those who do......and I have no use for these people....

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: csrlice12]
      #5941762 - 06/26/13 05:06 PM

Quote:

"...most people in my club view the extravagance and status symbol scopes as a bit odd."

odd as in they think the owner is a stuffed shirt, or odd in that they wish they had such equipment? I'm sure Mr. Stuffed Shirt could care less......What they don't know is what did Mr. Stuffed Shirt sacrifice for this equipment? Did he forego eating out, does he drive a Chevy instead of a Mercedes, or was he just a better investor or did he apply himself, got an education, and got a well paying job that allowed him to purchase the equipment. Sounds to me more like they covet what he has and since they can't have it, there must be something wrong with those who do......and I have no use for these people....

I know that one well . I don't do the club anymore due to the segregated quirkiness of it all .
PS. Though the stuffed shirt type can be rather a boasting type , and that can be even more intolerable .
I refuse to be part of either type .

Edited by starrancher (06/26/13 05:11 PM)

Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Glen A W]
      #5941801 - 06/26/13 05:30 PM

Quote:

Imagine, a little company that makes telescopes for hobbyists, going public! Totally ridiculous, for most everyone involved. GW

Tell that to the people who made 700% on the dollar in one year and then got out before the stock prices fell to their current low.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5942060 - 06/26/13 07:59 PM

FWIW, if you look at the long term history of Meade, the stock heyday was when it rode the dot com bubble all the way up. Then it sort of went down hill from there.

-Rich

DrGolds
sage

Reged: 04/06/08

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5942275 - 06/26/13 10:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Imagine, a little company that makes telescopes for hobbyists, going public! Totally ridiculous, for most everyone involved. GW

Tell that to the people who made 700% on the dollar in one year and then got out before the stock prices fell to their current low.

For every winner in the stock market, there is a loser.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: DrGolds]
      #5942406 - 06/27/13 01:19 AM

There's no law of conservation for money. We just made it up, after all.

-Rich

Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #5942586 - 06/27/13 06:46 AM

Quote:

FWIW, if you look at the long term history of Meade, the stock heyday was when it rode the dot com bubble all the way up. Then it sort of went down hill from there.

-Rich

I will always attribute the dot com's falling to Janet "baby" Reno and her boss suing MS. IMO, that started the whole collapse of the tech stocks. It is pretty clear when you look at the time line.

Ekyprotic

Reged: 11/28/12

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: t.r.]
      #5942604 - 06/27/13 07:34 AM

Quote:

Ya know, sometimes our own economy and laws hinder what's best...I remember when Celestron and Meade wanted to merge, but the government would have none of it. Oh, what could have been!

and yet these vast malignant telecom/media mergers are allowed to happen? AOL-Time-Warner, GE-Universal-NBC, ABC-DISNEY-ESPN..... this is exactly why our media is so blatantly slanted, wow. I guess it's all about who you know, Plutocracy and Nepotism at their "finest"

LLEEGE
True Blue

Reged: 03/03/05

Loc: Cloud-chester,NY
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: mayidunk]
      #5942653 - 06/27/13 08:32 AM

Quote:

they can still load Meade up with a mountain of debt, and then just leave them, and their workers, in a lurch.

You mean the workers in other countries?

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Ekyprotic]
      #5942743 - 06/27/13 09:31 AM

Edited by me, against my better judgement.

I sincerely hope that Meade can get squared away; I always thought that their long slide began when they started selling cheap, department-store-type refractors, which to my mind somewhat sullied their brand.

Fred

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
32 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63019

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics