Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | >> (show all)
RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5942850 - 06/27/13 10:32 AM

I just got my new Sky and Telescope and if ads are any indication, it looks like Sky-Watcher will be the next Meade. Very nice one page ad.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Ekyprotic]
      #5942866 - 06/27/13 10:38 AM

Quote:

and yet these vast malignant telecom/media mergers are allowed to happen? AOL-Time-Warner, GE-Universal-NBC, ABC-DISNEY-ESPN..... this is exactly why our media is so blatantly slanted, wow. I guess it's all about who you know, Plutocracy and Nepotism at their "finest"

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens {:o) [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5942875 - 06/27/13 10:45 AM

caheaton
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: starrancher]
      #5942892 - 06/27/13 10:56 AM

It looks like MIT capital has a website now, though it looks like it's one that was quickly put together to give themselves the impression of being an established company.
http://www.mitcapital.net/

It's still a mystery as to who these people really are. I noticed that MIT (the university) has a venture capital club and thought briefly that maybe it was them, but if it were you'd think they would be based in MA rather than in CA. Would have been kind of interesting if a group of tech minded students had acquired the company...

A whois search shows the domain was established on 6-17-2013. Technical contact for the website is one Jason Tian located in Duluth, GA. He seems to be affiliated with this company:
http://www.apresys.com/
http://apresys.en.alibaba.com/
Website is very similar in appearance and does appear to be an optical company.

Company profile shows that they're small, with sales of 2.5 to 5 million per year, mainly in Eastern Europe.
http://apresys.en.alibaba.com/company_profile/trade_capacity.html

Very interesting...makes one wonder if they're interested in acquiring Meade's US distribution channels or simply their intellectual property?

Edited by caheaton (06/27/13 11:13 AM)

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5942949 - 06/27/13 11:26 AM

Quote:

I just got my new Sky and Telescope and if ads are any indication, it looks like Sky-Watcher will be the next Meade. Very nice one page ad.

You are aware that SkyWatcher is Synta?
SkyWatcher is the name Synta sells its products under in most other countries.
Synta makes most of Orion's products, Konus telescopes, Celestrons, and many smaller labels.
They almost have a monopoly already.

caheaton
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starman1]
      #5942958 - 06/27/13 11:36 AM

Probably too late for this, but wondering. There was discussion about CN's members getting together and putting up an offer to acquire Meade. Perhaps an alternate track would be to simply purchase enough shares so that one could cause the MIT takeover to be rejected? Instead offer to sell those shares to JOC? How many shares would it take to acquire the controlling interest in the company?

Just thinking out loud....

Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: caheaton]
      #5943057 - 06/27/13 12:47 PM

Quote:

Probably too late for this, but wondering. There was discussion about CN's members getting together and putting up an offer to acquire Meade. Perhaps an alternate track would be to simply purchase enough shares so that one could cause the MIT takeover to be rejected? Instead offer to sell those shares to JOC? How many shares would it take to acquire the controlling interest in the company?

Really risky to purchase stock in a company on the verge of bankruptcy. The rewards can be good if you survive.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starman1]
      #5943072 - 06/27/13 12:58 PM

Quote:

Synta makes most of Orion's products, Konus telescopes, Celestrons, and many smallerlabels.

Indeed... Synta has been the largest maker of telescopes, that is to say "the new Meade", for several years. They own Celestron, they also manufacture some Vixen equipment.

Jon

gmartin02
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/11/05

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5943282 - 06/27/13 03:11 PM

Quote:

I will always attribute the dot com's falling to Janet "baby" Reno and her boss suing MS. IMO, that started the whole collapse of the tech stocks. It is pretty clear when you look at the time line.

Besides for this being completely off topic, are you joking, and just using this forum to push your political opinion? That is a very silly cause and effect analysis.
The .com bubble burst because the tech stocks were ridiculously over valued due to run away speculation, and many of the start-ups were not even making any money. The bubble had pushed the PE of the S&P 500 over 30 - completely unsustainable.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) new [Re: gmartin02]
      #5943293 - 06/27/13 03:18 PM

Dude ! What's political about it ? Gettin a little bent outa overly sensative shape ? It's just an opinion . Chill !

Edited by starrancher (06/27/13 03:19 PM)

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) new [Re: Starman1]
      #5943342 - 06/27/13 03:57 PM

Sorry Don. Did not know that. But why would Synta be competing with Celestron, which it owns, in the same market. Doesn't make sense.

Thanks,

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5943404 - 06/27/13 04:42 PM

They aren't- they've been setting up SkyWatcher as a sort of specialty brand. For example, the ED scopes are all SkyWatcher branded, now, instead of having somthing like the Celestron Onyx 80ED or the C80ED.

I'm sure brand differentiation is part of it, too, to prevent the appearance of a mega-behemoth dominiating all.

-Rich

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) new [Re: caheaton]
      #5943460 - 06/27/13 05:12 PM

Not completely dead- just hard to do, and the other efforts are well ahead. And in the final analysis it's hard to tell if it is much easier to do this are start standing up another company from scratch. Given the shape of the market right now, a lot of people seem to feel this is more a sentimental than practical response. Getting data to prove them wrong has been elusive. It isn't obvious there's a lot of money in this area laying around to be picked up.

-Rich

Quote:

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5943464 - 06/27/13 05:15 PM

Quote:

It looks like MIT capital has a website now, It's still a mystery as to who these people really are.
Very interesting...makes one wonder if they're interested in acquiring Meade's US distribution channels or simply their intellectual property?

Apresys, located in northern California, is a subsidiary company of Apresys Inc. of China, founded in 1999. It develops and produces cold chain management products sold in more than 100 countries.

Apresys (Shanghai) Precision Photoelectric Limited, is another wholely owned subsidiary company of Apresys Inc., located in Minhang district, It has more than 50 employees and five established sales offices in China. Apresys (Shanghai) is a manufacturer and exporter of temperature humidity data loggers, laser rangefinders, binocular scopes and sensors.

Apresys Inc. Duluth, GA looks like the same company.

They may have sold some products to Meade. Perhaps the Capture View and spotter scopes. Look familar?

Edited by Geo. (06/27/13 09:02 PM)

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #5943499 - 06/27/13 05:39 PM

Quote:

It's still a mystery as to who these people really are. I noticed that MIT (the university) has a venture capital club and thought briefly that maybe it was them, but if it were you'd think they would be based in MA rather than in CA. Would have been kind of interesting if a group of tech minded students had acquired the company...

As MIT-alumni from the early 80s, I don't see how it could be Mass Inst. Tech. When MIT seeds venture capital, it is on *cutting-edge* ideas, not on an established company of old technology, and never on a public company. Sloan School graduates think only in terms of technology (as distinct from new consumer gadgets) that hasn't yet been thought of.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) new [Re: hottr6]
      #5943603 - 06/27/13 06:40 PM

Maybe if it was about diffractive optics or something like that, the real MIT would be interested. But it's not, so I imagine anyone doing their own exotic optics would rather stand up their own company.

-Rich

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5943607 - 06/27/13 06:41 PM

Quote:

Sorry Don. Did not know that. But why would Synta be competing with Celestron, which it owns, in the same market. Doesn't make sense.

Thanks,

Sure it does.
Celestron dealer on one side of the street, SkyWatcher on the other, and Orion just down the block. For Synta, thatat's a WIN-WIN-WIN scenario.
No different than Oldsmobile-Cadillac-Chevrolet-Buick-GMC-Geo-Saturn.
It looks like you have a lot of choice, but all from one company.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) new [Re: Starman1]
      #5943617 - 06/27/13 06:46 PM

That's a better way of phrasing it, by far.

-Rich

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5943720 - 06/27/13 07:57 PM

CottsModerator
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) new [Re: starrancher]
      #5943759 - 06/27/13 08:21 PM

Quote:

Dude ! What's political about it ? Gettin a little bent outa overly sensative shape ? It's just an opinion . Chill !

Political discussion of any sort is a violation of the TOS. Please keep the discussion where it has safely been for 14 pages - on Meade and the takeover.

This has been a brilliant discussion - it would be a shame to have it end with political sniping.

To those few who posted political comments would you be so kind as to edit and/or remove those posts.

Dave

Thanks.

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | >> (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63049

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics