Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: << 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | >> (show all)
starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Stew57]
      #5959284 - 07/07/13 05:06 PM

Quote:

I picked up a LXD75 SN8 from a walmart sale. I put the mount together and thought it nice for the price. I took the ota out and heard something rolling around inside bouncing off the corrector and mirror. I called Meade to get a new one shipped out to me and they said to send the whole package back to them. They would repair the scope and ship it back out. Expect about 6 to 8 weeks. I said no thanks and returned the whole thing back to walmart for a refund. We both lost, Meade lost a customer and I lost a good deal on a SN8. The price was too good to be true I guess.

You mean they wanted you to send the mount back too even though all you needed was warrantee work on the OTA ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mark379
sage

Reged: 02/07/09

Loc: New Jersey
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: gmartin02]
      #5959293 - 07/07/13 05:09 PM

I would like to see E/S Become the purchaser of Meade.
Am I correct in reading that the M I T higher offer Is to buy out existing shares from stockholders as opposed to Stock owned by the company?
And, the E/S offer is to buy company owned stock?
If this is correct, that means even though E/S is offering a lower price, the company may still exist and stockholders would get their dividends?
So the Gamble would be to the individual stockholder to either sell out now before the stock is possibly worth nothing to an MIT, Or to take a chance with E/S and see if there is growth over say, five years or so?
Maybe I am incorrect in my interpretation ?
Time will tell I guess…

mark379
sage

Reged: 02/07/09

Loc: New Jersey
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: mark379]
      #5959306 - 07/07/13 05:20 PM

Should E/S Buy Meade, I'd like to see if they continue the larger Meade sct's and mounts I.e. 12"-20" sct's , lx850 class, etc.
especially if all goes well and my wife and I buy a home up north in the next year or 2. Part of the deal is I get t build s roll off roof observatory....
Would be nice to see their options alive here...

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #5959313 - 07/07/13 05:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Plus I am so very confused - in the mounts forum I get the sense a person is not a real astrophotographer unless they take 20+ minute subs. Anything less you are a "beginner". With the hyperstar your subs are 1-2 minutes, maybe even seconds! Does this make all hyperstar users low end APers? It seems the 20+ plus subs are a test of manhood/womanhood (kind of like hypering film and manually guiding back in the oldin' days). FYI, personally for me if someone takes great images with 1, 5, or 10 minute, or even 30 second subs I am cool with that.

I can already get down to f/2.4 with my MallinCAM setup. Now, it would be nice if Meade could come out with their f/5 reducer - or anyone else for that matter!

I think you are being overly dramatic about this. I don't recall seeing numerous posts on the mounts forum about requiring 20+ minute subs to be a "real" astrophotographer - maybe your "spidey senses" are out of calibration.

Can you please provide a couple of links to posts by users that are saying that?

In reading many, many posts in the past on the DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing forum and on the CCD Imaging & Processing forum, although some imagers take subs up to 30 minutes, most sub images are somewhere between 2 minutes and 15 minutes, depending on the equipment used an the target being imaged.

I would not call Hyperstar users "low end APers", particularly for the difficulty so many users have experienced getting the Hyperstar collimated with the telescope - not for the faint at heart.

A MallinCAM definitely doesn't qualify as a long exposure imaging camera, because it is a video camera.

GMartain,

Some of my comments are sarcastic. Plus I did not have any bacon this morning.

I am aware many great images are taken in 15 minute or less. And neither is HyperStar for the low end. I would say HyperStar is definitely NOT an entry level device. There is a market for the unit, just not a massive one.

Where my sarcastic comment comes from is related to the "Mounts" forum - it seems I need to take a 30+ minute exposure to prove the LX850 is worthy. When the weather cooperates I will take my crack at it and see how long I can go before flexure kicks in. However, I don't really see the purpose of exposures over 15 minutes for most images. I will likely play with and explore this limit in the fall, since (a) the weather is not good right now, (b) I have a three week window before I travel 6 more weeks, and (c) I just want to have fun with my LX850 - what a concept!

MallinCam is not long exposure - it is also a whole different class of visualization. I really think it is cool I can get a great image of M51 (or many things) in 10 seconds! My impression is folks do use video cams with their HyperStar setups. Either way, Video Astronomy is EXCELLENT for outreach, general exploring and checking out things. Myself, my family, students and guests have a blast with the MallinCam. I think video astronomy makes this hobby fun.

gmartin02
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/11/05

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5959330 - 07/07/13 05:41 PM

Sarcasm? You?

I think if you can get 5 minute exposures out of your LX850 (with round stars) I would call that successful. Hope you get some clear skies, but no guarantees this time of year with the monsoon season and all...

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #5959360 - 07/07/13 06:04 PM

Quote:

Sarcasm? You?

I think if you can get 5 minute exposures out of your LX850 (with round stars) I would call that successful. Hope you get some clear skies, but no guarantees this time of year with the monsoon season and all...

Yes, monsoon season has kicked in here. We desperately need the rain here, so that is good, but the observing has nearly gone out the window. After this 3 week stretch my next chance to really push the limits won't be until September. Observing is great in the fall and winter here though. The wait is killer.

In the meantime I will buy the iOptron Z25 for the grab and go on the out west tour (nothing from Meade in this department mount wise). I did look up the LXD75, and I have to wonder why Meade discontinued it. I can see some worries about it competing with the LX80. Best approach? Offer the LXD75 at a lower cost as a lower end mount, and a PROPERLY WORKING OUT THE GATE LX80. They would have had better control of the market me thinks! And maybe help Meade out of its predicament.

I did look at the LX80, but it does not seem very grab and go-ish. (A high tech term).

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5959473 - 07/07/13 07:31 PM

I will take a stab at un-baffling you.

The RCX spawned ACF, apparently as a face saving measure. However, by going away from a standard SCT design, it broke compatibility with a bunch of peripherals.

Hyperstar was indeed important- namely because it was a development of Fastar, which has been originally developed and deployed by Celestron as a single-trick pony with the old ST-237 camera from SBIG. The much wider field Hyperstar, and most importantly, Hyperstar 3 gave the SCTs a niche in the entire astronomy market. Just try and touch an astrograph that fast and you'll see how APOs can be made to seem cheap by comparison.

By having a Meade variant of Hyperstar, there was a market advantage Celestron no longer owned. And unless you play with Hyperstar, it's hard to understand. It turns very user friendly APS DSLR cameras in to deep space imaging machines. But do the math with the inverse f/#^2 and it's pretty clear why it is important. Meade was in the position of having the only 16" f/2 system on the market. Then it was gone. What's to say?

I'm not sure why the subject of mounts came up. This isn't the mounts forum. However, with systems bottoming out around f/5, mount tracking is indeed a big deal.

Keep in mind, Hyperstar as well as all of the adapters and interfaces were developed and produced at zero cost to Meade. This really was a free lunch they torpedoed.

So, I don't know what the sarcasm is all about. It seems very out of place in this discussion.

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

The SN were an area where Meade really did show serious independence. In my mind, a sincere effort to make astrographs based on that starting point would have been some ground for Meade to own alone. That would be unlike the RXC/ ACF debacle, only led to functional equivalents to other products in the market, yet another lawsuit, and incompatibility with the existing vast base of SCT accessories.

I suppose that leads to my feeling of the semi-pointlessness of the ACF scopes. While it sounds good in theory, there are just scads of alternatives floating around. Celestron's somewhat weak response of a built in-field flattener ended up being a strength since it still allowed Hyperstar compatibility, even though it negated the ability to get to focal ratios between f/10 and f/2 using existing reducers.

A modular system with a removable flattener and the ability to become either a flat field astrograph, an f/2 astrograph, or any of the original SCT configurations would appear to me to be the ultimate design in this regard.

-Rich

Rich,

You have me completely baffled.

I do understand the entire issue with the RXC and the stories there, but the ACF debacle??!?!?!?

There are scads of all alternatives in the optics universe out there. So you feel Meade should just yield, and let Celestron take it all?

MANY people prefer and are VERY happy with the ACF optics. They really are!

Regarding Hyperstar - Meade made a business decision (my guess) not to make their systems compatible with a 3rd party vendor. Correct me if I am wrong, if they chose to be HyperStar compatible Meade would have to completely change their optics, and hence manufacturing process and be at the mercy of Starzona. There is a huge cost associated with this.

Hyperstar is a cool add on, and there is an interest in it for certain, but it is expensive for most folks out there. Obviously units are sold, but not in mass quantities. What percentage of Celestron telescopes have hyperstars out there? 2%? Does anyone know?

Plus I am so very confused - in the mounts forum I get the sense a person is not a real astrophotographer unless they take 20+ minute subs. Anything less you are a "beginner". With the hyperstar your subs are 1-2 minutes, maybe even seconds! Does this make all hyperstar users low end APers? It seems the 20+ plus subs are a test of manhood/womanhood (kind of like hypering film and manually guiding back in the oldin' days). FYI, personally for me if someone takes great images with 1, 5, or 10 minute, or even 30 second subs I am cool with that.

I can already get down to f/2.4 with my MallinCAM setup. Now, it would be nice if Meade could come out with their f/5 reducer - or anyone else for that matter!

Either way, there are alternatives, and myself like others chose the Meade ACF over the Celestron optics. And visually, it is nice to be able to use other focal reducers between f/10 and f/2. Yes, folks to look through eyepieces still.

BTW, I do see an evolution in observing though of course it is all driven by cost of entry. Visual is still king for most folks, since this can be the cheapest way to go (well unless you buy a fleet of Televue eyepieces!). Next up is now becoming video, though the cost for many folks can be high. Still, a MallinCam focal reducer on a Meade f/8 ACF is way cheaper and is nearly as effective as a Celestron HD with HyperStar (I want to say on my 14" the cost difference is $1100 in favor of the Meade). Of course you can use video on almost any scope with fun results. The days of the faint fuzzies are disappearing quickly. I am rapidly finding folks looking at M101, M57, etc via a 20" display (and soon 65" display) find it far more exciting, damn the night vision with a blazing bright monitor!!

Then of course there is Astrophotography which has WAY more options and capabilities than back in the day. I recall all the effort it took using my Olympus OM-1 (a great camera, FYI). Now? Its as easy as hooking up the DSLR, and taking a 100 or so picts, stack, etc. Only issue? GET A BIG HARDDRIVE! So easy, but still the cost of entry, time and learning etc makes area the smallest of the groups in our field I reckon'.

I feel Meade has addressed these areas well, however implementation and time to market, and rushing products have been an issue at times.

Bottom line - ACFs are great OTAs. No need to reduce our choices!

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starhawk]
      #5959502 - 07/07/13 07:47 PM

Quote:

The SN were an area where Meade really did show serious independence. In my mind, a sincere effort to make astrographs based on that starting point would have been some ground for Meade to own alone. That would be unlike the RXC/ ACF debacle,which only led to functional equivalents to other products in the market, yet another lawsuit, and incompatibility with the existing vast base of SCT accessories.

I suppose that leads to my feeling of the semi-pointlessness of the ACF scopes. While it sounds good in theory, there are just scads of alternatives floating around. Celestron's somewhat weak response of a built in-field flattener ended up being a strength since it still allowed Hyperstar compatibility, even though it negated the ability to get to focal ratios between f/10 and f/2 using existing reducers.

A modular system with a removable flattener and the ability to become either a flat field astrograph, an f/2 astrograph, or any of the original SCT configurations would appear to me to be the ultimate design in this regard.

-Rich

Well...kinda...sorta....not really.

The ACF is good in theory and practice. The design, which reduces the coma inherent in the SCT as executed by Meade and Celestron, has a field considerably better looking at the edge than the standard.

Celestron's response weak? Not hardly. The built in corrector both reduces coma and flattens the field. It is truly beautiful out to the, well, edge.

The built in reducer has nothing to do with Hyperstar. Celestron is about to release an f/7 reducer, the Optecs work well for imaging, and the good old Meade f/3.3 does very well with small chip cameras.

Edited by rmollise (07/07/13 07:52 PM)

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5959513 - 07/07/13 07:55 PM

And one other note- my understanding is the 16" system would support 35mm detectors.

-Rich

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5959538 - 07/07/13 08:17 PM

Rod, remember it took YEARS to get edge HD focal reducers?

-Rich

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: starrancher]
      #5959803 - 07/07/13 11:06 PM

Yes indeed mount, ota, and accessories. Wait for them to repair or replace at their discretion. I was a little concerned about the corrector andprimary mirror, as well as the wait, so I passed.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starman1]
      #5959834 - 07/07/13 11:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, like what Home Depot did when they came into town, their low prices killed the towns plumbing supply, lumber yard and hardware stores (all family owned btw) and when they died out, Home Depot's prices went up. Another thing most are missing here.............there seems to be in this country a growing hatred of science (which scares me big time!) either being in schools or churches - my son is a teacher in Florida and has seen science books that make [to be kind} silly statements or things that just make no sense - the humans and dinosaurs thing - he calls it the "Flintstones Effect". I saw on the tv show 60 Minutes the same thing happening in other states also. What has happened to America?

Pretty much the same thing that I was saying yesterday . But for some reason or unreason my words were removed as I guess they were somehow misconstrued as being un P.C.
You know what I have to say about P.C. ?
This .......#%$+~#%#!!!
For a translation , you'll have to receive it via PM I'm sure .

From the Terms of Service for this site:
No posts of a political nature.

For many, the question is “what is a sensitive topic” and what “isn’t appropriate for a 14 year old”. Creating such lists would be a Herculean chore. The judgment of the moderators will be relied on to make these calls.

Above all – the “golden rule” applies. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will other behavior deemed to be antisocial.

As a community member, each of you is asked to lighten the load of the moderators. Think before you post. If in doubt, push away the keyboard for 10 minutes and then come back to your posting.

Just note that this has nothing to do with being "P.C." This has to do with not making posts with political statements in them, as you just did.
You might note that not everyone will agree with you, you won't change any minds, it might make other readers angry at you, and it doesn't serve to carry the topic forward.

By and large, this thread has been a wonderful example of how informative responses germane to the issue can enlighten us all. Just remember to, if you have to make a political comment of one kind or another, make it a small aside in an otherwise germane post so that it is obvious the intent is not to incite, or troll.

I have to remind myself of that all the time. CN is, after all, largely self-policed.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

#5959843 - 07/07/13 11:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, like what Home Depot did when they came into town, their low prices killed the towns plumbing supply, lumber yard and hardware stores (all family owned btw) and when they died out, Home Depot's prices went up. Another thing most are missing here.............there seems to be in this country a growing hatred of science (which scares me big time!) either being in schools or churches - my son is a teacher in Florida and has seen science books that make [to be kind} silly statements or things that just make no sense - the humans and dinosaurs thing - he calls it the "Flintstones Effect". I saw on the tv show 60 Minutes the same thing happening in other states also. What has happened to America?

Pretty much the same thing that I was saying yesterday . But for some reason or unreason my words were removed as I guess they were somehow misconstrued as being un P.C.
This .......#%$+~#%#!!!

For many, the question is “what is a sensitive topic” and what “isn’t appropriate for a 14 year old”. Creating such lists would be a Herculean chore. The judgment of the moderators will be relied on to make these calls.

Above all – the “golden rule” applies. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will other behavior deemed to be antisocial.

As a community member, each of you is asked to lighten the load of the moderators. Think before you post. If in doubt, push away the keyboard for 10 minutes and then come back to your posting.

Just note that this has nothing to do with being "P.C." This has to do with not making posts with political statements in them, as you just did.
You might note that not everyone will agree with you, you won't change any minds, it might make other readers angry at you, and it doesn't serve to carry the topic forward.

By and large, this thread has been a wonderful example of how informative responses germane to the issue can enlighten us all. Just remember to, if you have to make a political comment of one kind or another, make it a small aside in an otherwise germane post so that it is obvious the intent is not to incite, or troll.

I have to remind myself of that all the time. CN is, after all, largely self-policed.

My name is not Rich . We should pay attention prior to anything else .

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

#5959850 - 07/07/13 11:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This .......#%$+~#%#!!!

We should thoroughly and accurately review something before making false accusations .

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

#5959855 - 07/07/13 11:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This .......#%$+~#%#!!!

We should thoroughly and accurately review something before making false accusations .

This could be considered as slanderous and a defamation of character .

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5959891 - 07/08/13 12:30 AM

Why am I coming up in this? I never even saw the deleted post, much less comment on it.

-Rich

Quote:

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5960241 - 07/08/13 09:53 AM

Does anyone know anything about previous MITC Meade purchase attempts? Earlier is came out they've been talking to the Meade board for over a year before all of this came up. But I haven't heard anything about what was offered or not.

-Rich

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5960262 - 07/08/13 10:07 AM

Quote:

-Rich

Well, yeah, but those years are gone and Celestron is ready to release the 800 version, I'm told.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #5960278 - 07/08/13 10:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Got a PM from Russ at ES and he told me they were very busy with this Meade issue. In his PM he mentioned that their plans include fixing the LX80, modify the LX600 and offer it without the bells and whistles, and that the LXD75 fixes have been made and ready for release pending what name will be affixed to it. He also mentioned going modular with the mounts (believed he meant offering the OTA's and mounts separately). They're also considering name's for the business, maybe combining something to honor both businesses. I certainly hope JOC/ES wins this takeover battle over Meade.

I received a PM from Russ . It sounds to me that he and Scott feel confident of it swinging their way . Just kinda the tone that I read from the message . Hopefully it does go that way . Re releasing the LXD75 would be reversing a big Meade blunder IMHO . Maybe they could bring back the Schmidt Newt also , but with a halfway decent focuser on it .
A little gold trim might be nice too .

I have received both PM's AND Personal phone calls from Russ. I hope they get this done as well. Having them paying attention to the Forums and keeping a finger on the pulse of their potential Customer base is refreshing to say the least.
He also spoke of some system plans that were very positive and exciting. I'm hoping for the best for ES...
His open communication policy even now is better than Meade has had for decades.
I'm crossing my fingers.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: rmollise]
      #5960285 - 07/08/13 10:25 AM

Ok, that's really funny. I guess you see my point- those were the years where they were vulnerable, depending on what they were facing. As it is, they carried the day.

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

-Rich

Well, yeah, but those years are gone and Celestron is ready to release the 800 version, I'm told.

Pages: << 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | >> (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63055

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics