Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: << 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | >> (show all)
Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5979087 - 07/19/13 01:51 AM

Quote:

When marketing gets ahead of the engineers you end up with the lx800.

Yep! There was a slight disconnect there...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starhawk]
      #5979090 - 07/19/13 01:54 AM

Quote:

Yes, there were changes, but the specs stayed the same. You wrote your post like the LX850 had new specs. I was just pointing out it has the LX800's specs.

-Rich

Um, there were changes. I guess what do I mean by specs? Check out the list of "new" features on the Meade LX850 web page. For example, "NEW one-piece 1 inch thick saddle plate with improved dove tail clamps, thicker OTA rail and radius blocks to reduce flexure between the OTA and mount." So the spec alone for the saddle plate was changed from the LX800 to the LX850.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5979128 - 07/19/13 03:14 AM

I think people are thinking of the performance specification, things such as the tracking and guiding performance. The LX800 had the same specification for those things but didn't meet them. It's these performance specification items that are important, not saying how thick the metal is.

How can people tell if they are getting an LX800 that doesn't meet the published specification or an LX850 that does?

The only rule of thumb I can see is to assume that the first iteration of a new product will have been released too early and to wait a year or two for the updated model.

Chris

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: cn register 5]
      #5979132 - 07/19/13 03:29 AM

Quote:

I think people are thinking of the performance specification, things such as the tracking and guiding performance. The LX800 had the same specification for those things but didn't meet them. It's these performance specification items that are important, not saying how thick the metal is.

How can people tell if they are getting an LX800 that doesn't meet the published specification or an LX850 that does?

The only rule of thumb I can see is to assume that the first iteration of a new product will have been released too early and to wait a year or two for the updated model.

Chris

I was thinking about that more, that other were thinking only "pure" performance specs.

What I was stating though was my interest in changes in the overall engineering spec (I am an engineer). Those changes do tell a bit more how they addressed the issues with the LX800 - and the likelihood of meeting the performance spec. Another example was moving the mounting for Starlock onto the OTA.

The LX850 does meet the performance specs. I am pretty confident in that. Other specs listed? They do also.

I hear you on the rule of them, but that does not lead to good customer relations. Certainly improvements do evolve in a design over time, however publishing a spec and not meeting that spec within certain tolerances is not good a good practice. I know I could never get away with that in my line of business.

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/07/09

Loc: USA
      #5979151 - 07/19/13 04:20 AM

It's a pretty good rule for a consumer:
- don't buy a new vehicle during the first model year after major changes
- don't install a Microsoft OS until Service Pack 1 is released
(I'm sure there are many more industry-specific examples)

There are people that like to be on the bleeding/leading edge of new products, and those that buy during the mature phase, and the thrifty that buy at or after the end of availability as a new product, when prices are lowest.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5979254 - 07/19/13 07:26 AM

Quote:

It's a pretty good rule for a consumer:
- don't buy a new vehicle during the first model year after major changes
- don't install a Microsoft OS until Service Pack 1 is released
(I'm sure there are many more industry-specific examples)

There are people that like to be on the bleeding/leading edge of new products, and those that buy during the mature phase, and the thrifty that buy at or after the end of availability as a new product, when prices are lowest.

How about this one:

- Don't buy a product that uses proprietary technologies and components when the manufacturer is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Jon

Edited by Jon Isaacs (07/19/13 07:27 AM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5979376 - 07/19/13 08:57 AM

Hey, MITC makes out like a bandit, paid $3.65 a share, and just a few days later get $4.21 a share (from Sunny), that's a 56 cent profit on each share.

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5979399 - 07/19/13 09:08 AM

Quote:

Actually if a company goes bankrupt all warrenties are null and void. Even a company buying them out doesn' t have to assume that liability. That's why a lot of folks have not been buying their products.

This should not be confused with the very real possibility that a company which has filed chapter 11 or 7 may still honor any warranties, especially if they have a reputation they want to either maintain or improve upon.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5979464 - 07/19/13 09:41 AM

You bought an LX850 because you liked the dovetail clamp?

You need to come to ASAE and meet the ADM guys. It'll save you the odd $6000 now and then.

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, there were changes, but the specs stayed the same. You wrote your post like the LX850 had new specs. I was just pointing out it has the LX800's specs.

-Rich

Um, there were changes. I guess what do I mean by specs? Check out the list of "new" features on the Meade LX850 web page. For example, "NEW one-piece 1 inch thick saddle plate with improved dove tail clamps, thicker OTA rail and radius blocks to reduce flexure between the OTA and mount." So the spec alone for the saddle plate was changed from the LX800 to the LX850.

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

#5979657 - 07/19/13 11:29 AM

Quote:

You bought an LX850 because you liked the dovetail clamp?

You need to come to ASAE and meet the ADM guys. It'll save you the odd $6000 now and then.

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

-Rich

Rich,

You don't know how excited I got when they announced the changes to the dovetail clamp! Meade's use of the "bold" font announcing the dovetail clamp sealed the deal for me! I was waiting for this - and Meade came through, BIG TIME!

It is the little things in life, you know.

I celebrated by sending Customer Support at Meade a gift card for 5 lbs of bacon...

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5979712 - 07/19/13 11:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually if a company goes bankrupt all warrenties are null and void. Even a company buying them out doesn' t have to assume that liability. That's why a lot of folks have not been buying their products.

This should not be confused with the very real possibility that a company which has filed chapter 11 or 7 may still honor any warranties, especially if they have a reputation they want to either maintain or improve upon.

It is a possibility, a real possibility but not a given.

Jon

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5979763 - 07/19/13 12:41 PM

Chapter 7 Liquidation - you don't exist any more. Not being a functioning company would give you no means to provide for warranties.

Chapter 11 Reorganization - a Bankruptcy Judge would make the decision, so it might be possible. However, with creditors having a say before the Judge, no doubt they would object.

Be interesting to know what happened in the case of the GM reorganization.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It is a possibility, a real possibility but not a given.

Jon

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

#5979775 - 07/19/13 12:51 PM

There are certain SEC filing requirements for shareholders who hold a significant number of shares, I think about a 5% stake roughly, but I don't know what time frame it need be within.

If the MIT Cap offer expires today, there may be something today from MIT Cap if it is allowed to expire or extended. I'll have to check the Offering as to whether today is the correct day. The 19th is something I read here ;-)

Quote:

BTW, is MITC going to make an announcement or something about how much stock they succeeded in buying, or will we have to wonder until they try to use it?

-Rich

greedyshark
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/31/05

Loc: 3rd Rock
      #5979863 - 07/19/13 02:00 PM

Quote:

I celebrated by sending Customer Support at Meade a gift card for 5 lbs of bacon...

Charles

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5979915 - 07/19/13 02:21 PM

Well, when I got my milling machine, my first project was making eight Vixen dovetail clamps since I always seemed to need one.

-Rich

Quote:

Rich,

You don't know how excited I got when they announced the changes to the dovetail clamp! Meade's use of the "bold" font announcing the dovetail clamp sealed the deal for me! I was waiting for this - and Meade came through, BIG TIME!

It is the little things in life, you know.

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

#5979932 - 07/19/13 02:33 PM

If you were at this auction you might have been able to find some money to save Meade.

Must have been some big players in the room.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/hammer-down-juan-manuel-fangios-mercedes-benz-w1...

Kinda puts this deal in perspective.

bicparker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/07/05

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: EddWen]
      #5979969 - 07/19/13 02:54 PM

Yes, a car that sells for 5-6x what is, apparently, Meade's top dollar auction price.

One car or 6 telescopes companies... take your pick.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: csrlice12]
      #5979975 - 07/19/13 02:58 PM

Quote:

Hey, MITC makes out like a bandit, paid $3.65 a share, and just a few days later get $4.21 a share (from Sunny), that's a 56 cent profit on each share.

If Meade files chapter 7 all common shares are at the end of the line as far as creditors go. If Meade files chapter 7 all stock becomes worthless, warranties (can) be null and void, and unfunded pensions are gone. The company could be resurrected offering new stock without the debt if anyone would be willing to buy. Sunny may be thinking this strategy, who knows.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Stew57]
      #5980004 - 07/19/13 03:19 PM

When I asked Roland what he would sell his personal AP175 for, he named what sounded to him like a ridiculously high number: $100,000.

Yep, just a little perspective.

-Rich

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: starrancher]
      #5980005 - 07/19/13 03:19 PM

As long as we're talking Meade here . Anyone looking for a set of RGB imaging filters can grab 'em right now at Meade for 20 bucks . The set includes the three colors plus the IR cut filter . Looks like a smokin deal to me . They are also blowing out the NG60 refractor for 25 bucks . Dang ! A new telescope for 25 bucks . Heck ! The tripod is worth 25 bucks .
OK , back to the basics .

Edited by starrancher (07/19/13 03:26 PM)

Pages: << 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | >> (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 64036

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics