Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: << 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | >> (show all)
Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: starrancher]
      #5980013 - 07/19/13 03:25 PM

Quote:

As long as we're talking Meade here . Anyone looking for a set of RGB imaging filters can grab 'em right now at Meade for 20 bucks . The set includes the three colors plus the IR cut filter . Looks like a smokin deal to me . They are also blowing out the NG60 refractor for 25 bucks . Dang ! A new telescope for 25 bucks .
OK , back to the basics .

Sigh...the filters only work with the DSI pro.

BUT...the 2" starter kit with 24mm UWA and adaptor is a great deal. I got this the last go around. It looks like this batch is limited in number. Get them while they are hot!

(I now have 3 of these diagonals - one I got on the deal, the LX850 came with one, and the APO 80mm came with one).

Meade's weekly deals can become addictive...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5980024 - 07/19/13 03:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As long as we're talking Meade here . Anyone looking for a set of RGB imaging filters can grab 'em right now at Meade for 20 bucks . The set includes the three colors plus the IR cut filter . Looks like a smokin deal to me . They are also blowing out the NG60 refractor for 25 bucks . Dang ! A new telescope for 25 bucks .
OK , back to the basics .

Sigh...the filters only work with the DSI pro.

BUT...the 2" starter kit with 24mm UWA and adaptor is a great deal. I got this the last go around. It looks like this batch is limited in number. Get them while they are hot!

(I now have 3 of these diagonals - one I got on the deal, the LX850 came with one, and the APO 80mm came with one).

Meade's weekly deals can become addictive...

The ad claims that these filters will work on many other imagers , I guess not all but they say many others . I be completely out of the loop in imaging so what the hades do I know ?

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
      #5980027 - 07/19/13 03:33 PM

One should be able to sell those NG60s at the swap meet for 50 bucks and double their money . ?????

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: EddWen]
      #5980032 - 07/19/13 03:36 PM

OK, I checked:

THE OFFER AND WITHDRAWAL RIGHTS EXPIRE AT 12:00 MIDNIGHT,

NEW YORK CITY TIME, AT THE END OF THE DAY ON JULY 19, 2013, UNLESS THE OFFER IS EXTENDED

We probably won't know until Monday.

Quote:

There are certain SEC filing requirements for shareholders who hold a significant number of shares, I think about a 5% stake roughly, but I don't know what time frame it need be within.

If the MIT Cap offer expires today, there may be something today from MIT Cap if it is allowed to expire or extended. I'll have to check the Offering as to whether today is the correct day. The 19th is something I read here ;-)

Quote:

BTW, is MITC going to make an announcement or something about how much stock they succeeded in buying, or will we have to wonder until they try to use it?

-Rich

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5980035 - 07/19/13 03:38 PM

Those are just 1.25" screw on filters- they'll work with anything in smaller scale, including APS size DSLRs.

-Rich

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5980038 - 07/19/13 03:40 PM

Edited: Working now. Sorry for the mistake.

Edited by Whichwayisnorth (07/19/13 04:16 PM)

Griffin!
sage

Reged: 09/12/10

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5980040 - 07/19/13 03:42 PM

Umm....

http://telescopes.net/store/manufacturer/meade

Matthew Ota
Hmmm

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Griffin!]
      #5980048 - 07/19/13 03:47 PM

News of new merger:
Meade Terminates Merger Deal

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5980064 - 07/19/13 04:01 PM

Edd,

Thank you for taking a look. I can't imagine they're getting a last minute rush given what has transpired, but there it is.

-Rich

Quote:

OK, I checked:

THE OFFER AND WITHDRAWAL RIGHTS EXPIRE AT 12:00 MIDNIGHT,

NEW YORK CITY TIME, AT THE END OF THE DAY ON JULY 19, 2013, UNLESS THE OFFER IS EXTENDED

We probably won't know until Monday.

Quote:

There are certain SEC filing requirements for shareholders who hold a significant number of shares, I think about a 5% stake roughly, but I don't know what time frame it need be within.

If the MIT Cap offer expires today, there may be something today from MIT Cap if it is allowed to expire or extended. I'll have to check the Offering as to whether today is the correct day. The 19th is something I read here ;-)

Quote:

BTW, is MITC going to make an announcement or something about how much stock they succeeded in buying, or will we have to wonder until they try to use it?

-Rich

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5980065 - 07/19/13 04:02 PM

Quote:

The ad claims that these filters will work on many other imagers ,

Like all 1.25" LRGB filters, they will work with any monochrome camera so long as the light cone required at the filter location to cover the imaging chip isn't larger than the filter. I use 1.25" filters in my QSI683WSG-8.

The eyepiece/diagonal combo is, indeed a smoking deal. I used that eyepiece exclusively when I was doing outreach with the C14. Cost quite a bit more than that at the time, and didn't come with a diagonal.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Griffin!]
      #5980096 - 07/19/13 04:18 PM

Quote:

Umm....

http://telescopes.net/store/manufacturer/meade

Not sure what happened. I edited my post.
I went there to check item numbers and couldn't find any Meade products. Searching for "meade" in the box returned zero results. Clicking on telescopes and sorting by manufacture didn't list Meade. Must have a been a glitch. My apologies.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Matthew Ota]
      #5980100 - 07/19/13 04:20 PM

You're about 5 pages late on getting to this. Thanks for keeping an eye out, though.

-Rich

Quote:

News of new merger:
Meade Terminates Merger Deal

Brian P

Reged: 04/07/09

Loc: New England
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5980109 - 07/19/13 04:24 PM

Quote:

The eyepiece/diagonal combo is, indeed a smoking deal. I used that eyepiece exclusively when I was doing outreach with the C14. Cost quite a bit more than that at the time, and didn't come with a diagonal.

I also jumped at the 24 mm & diagonal eyepiece...it's now one of my favorites for my LX-200.

I'll be waiting all weekend to hear about the MIT Cap offer status, and what "Meade" will emerge.

My very dirty crystal ball (it's f/0.003 and hard to collimate) says MIT Cap walks away, Sunny/Nigbao closes in 90 days and keeps Meade alive for that period, then keeps Meade producing some high end scopes while putting the name on their mass market ones. Warranties will be honored, but service will be even slower before getting a little better. In about six months you'll see some of the Meade intermediate and high end lines dropped to concentrate on a few reliable devices that can make money. That may mean f/8 ACF tube on mounts that don't have Starlock.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Brian P]
      #5980118 - 07/19/13 04:30 PM

For a dirty crystal ball, that's pretty specific. Did you use one of those TeleVue 5X barlows with it?

-Rich

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Brian P]
      #5980126 - 07/19/13 04:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I also jumped at the 24 mm & diagonal eyepiece...it's now one of my favorites for my LX-200.

I'll be waiting all weekend to hear about the MIT Cap offer status, and what "Meade" will emerge.

My very dirty crystal ball (it's f/0.003 and hard to collimate) says MIT Cap walks away, Sunny/Nigbao closes in 90 days and keeps Meade alive for that period, then keeps Meade producing some high end scopes while putting the name on their mass market ones. Warranties will be honored, but service will be even slower before getting a little better. In about six months you'll see some of the Meade intermediate and high end lines dropped to concentrate on a few reliable devices that can make money. That may mean f/8 ACF tube on mounts that don't have Starlock.

Actually, I will up your prediction Brian.

I saw posted somewhere else where the CEO of Sunny was the former board member of...

...Synta!

So new prediction:

* Meade will eventually be part of the Celestron, Orion, et. al. family
* The CEO and Sunny hates Celestron and they wage war
* FTC puts the kibosh on the deal and Meade dies.
* I get my $30 million contract and I purchase Meade. I will make Rich my CTO, Ed my CFO...

DrGolds
sage

Reged: 04/06/08

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starhawk]
      #5980137 - 07/19/13 04:41 PM

Quote:

When I asked Roland what he would sell his personal AP175 for, he named what sounded to him like a ridiculously high number: $100,000.

Yep, just a little perspective.

-Rich

One way to avoid the wait list!

greedyshark
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/31/05

Loc: 3rd Rock
      #5980175 - 07/19/13 04:59 PM

Quote:

I saw posted somewhere else where the CEO of Sunny was the former board member of...

...Synta!

Now, that is an interesting spin...

Charles

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5980194 - 07/19/13 05:07 PM

I can't say I saw that coming.

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

...Synta!

So new prediction:

* I get my $30 million contract and I purchase Meade. I will make Rich my CTO, Ed my CFO...

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#5980232 - 07/19/13 05:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

...Synta!

So new prediction:

I heard something like this too only it was a planned move by Synta to have him step down from the board effective Jan 2013 because they saw that Meade was looking for buyers.

Therefore, if the FTC looks into this and comes to the conclusion that Sunny's CEO is working in Synta's interests, perhaps they will not allow the merger to proceed. This is of course all speculation and rumors and should be taken that way. I've already been wrong once today.

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5980263 - 07/19/13 05:52 PM

I've seen this before also. I did not mention it because I cannot verify it as a fact and the source is rumored to from ES.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

...Synta!

So new prediction:

I heard something like this too only it was a planned move by Synta to have him step down from the board effective Jan 2013 because they saw that Meade was looking for buyers.

Therefore, if the FTC looks into this and comes to the conclusion that Sunny's CEO is working in Synta's interests, perhaps they will not allow the merger to proceed. This is of course all speculation and rumors and should be taken that way. I've already been wrong once today.

Pages: << 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63062

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics