Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: << 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | >> (show all)
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: EddWen]
      #5980271 - 07/19/13 05:58 PM

I suppose my own stupid question is why would the FTC care if it's a non US held corporation afterwards, either way?

-Rich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5980277 - 07/19/13 06:05 PM

Quote:

* Meade will eventually be part of the Celestron, Orion, et. al. family

Orion is not owned by Synta. They sell Synta products. SkyWatcher is Synta's primary brand name and, like Celestron, is owned by them.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starhawk]
      #5980279 - 07/19/13 06:06 PM

And while I am at it, stupid question 2 is: why are the only offers from Chinese concerns? It would seem we now know who is driving this industry.

-Rich

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: DrGolds]
      #5980300 - 07/19/13 06:13 PM

Gday Andrew

re
Quote:

I saw posted somewhere else where the CEO of Sunny was the former board member of...
...Synta!

The only post i saw on something like this was in the mounts section by M Kofski
( and it sorta indicated it came from Russ Tanton of ES )

Quote:

One public piece that can be shared is that the CEO of Synta sat on the board of directors for Ningbo Sunny until Jan 2013.

This is the opposite to what you have posted.
ie CEO of Synta was on Sunny Ningbo board,
not CEO of Sunny on Synta board.
It should be easy enough to check if this is true
or are chinese company details like this hidden????

Sooo, are both doing double duty?????
I would think the CEO of Synta carried a bit more clout than Sunny,
so maybe Sunny is just doing what it is told to????
Sounds more feasible to me that way around.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia
( finacially illiterate but intrigued )

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5980351 - 07/19/13 06:46 PM

Quote:

I suppose my own stupid question is why would the FTC care if it's a non US held corporation afterwards, either way?

-Rich

Celestron and Meade are both head quartered in the U.S. They have tried to merge at least twice that I know of and have been stopped by the FTC to prevent a monopoly.

The way around this is to have Synta, who owns Celestron, to have one of their buddies buy Meade and then once Meade is a Chinese company HQ'd in China, they can turn around and sell it to Synta. The FTC can go fly a kite.

However there is a chance that the FTC can stop the deal from going through at this point in order to prevent that from happening. There was some discussion that MITC was also somehow in association with Synta but I just don't know the facts.

I have to believe that the interested parties would have had their lawyers contact the FTC to bring it to their attention if they thought there was a chance of action. We won't know for a bit longer. In the mean time Meade is still bleeding and if they end up Chapter 7, Synta wins anyways. This would be so interesting if it wasn't also so depressing.

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/07/09

Loc: USA
      #5980409 - 07/19/13 07:35 PM

Quote:

And while I am at it, stupid question 2 is: why are the only offers from Chinese concerns? It would seem we now know who is driving this industry.

-Rich

That's not clear. Synta HQ is in Taiwan, as is GSO. As far as manufacturing, I imagine "most" astro products are manufactured in China.

Lee

greedyshark
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/31/05

Loc: 3rd Rock
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5980425 - 07/19/13 07:47 PM

Quote:

The way around this is to have Synta, who owns Celestron, to have one of their buddies buy Meade and then once Meade is a Chinese company HQ'd in China, they can turn around and sell it to Synta. The FTC can go fly a kite.

Bingo!

Charles

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5980462 - 07/19/13 08:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

-Rich

That's not clear. Synta HQ is in Taiwan, as is GSO. As far as manufacturing, I imagine "most" astro products are manufactured in China.

Lee

Synta has a HQ in Taiwan, with all its manufacturing on the mainland.
GSO has HQ and production facilities in Taiwan, though they are sourcing some inexpensive items from the mainland now.

A great site to learn about the manufacturers:
Ali Baba-China

Example:
JOC

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starman1]
      #5980532 - 07/19/13 09:29 PM

Yes, but we don't see a group of American investors making a bid, or US companies. While AP, TEC, or TeleVue wouldn't be an obvious match to buy Meade, StellarVue or even one of the super dealers might.

Yet, apparently not.

-Rich

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Brian P]
      #5980586 - 07/19/13 10:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The eyepiece/diagonal combo is, indeed a smoking deal. I used that eyepiece exclusively when I was doing outreach with the C14. Cost quite a bit more than that at the time, and didn't come with a diagonal.

I also jumped at the 24 mm & diagonal eyepiece...it's now one of my favorites for my LX-200.

sheesh, i hope they have enough to fulfill all the orders (didn't the email say "6 left?").

i jumped on this too since... i've never looked through my AT10RC. always just doing imaging

rob

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #5980599 - 07/19/13 10:29 PM

Quote:

Yes, but we don't see a group of American investors making a bid, or US companies. While AP, TEC, or TeleVue wouldn't be an obvious match to buy Meade, StellarVue or even one of the super dealers might.

Yet, apparently not.

-Rich

Rich,

Part of the problem is any super dealer who might want to purchase Meade (or anyone for that matter) would realistically need to come up with funds for the buyout, transition costs, debts and sufficient funds to stabilize the ship in the correct direction. As I said long ago here, this would take in excess of $10 million. I don't see a dealer having this kind of scratch laying around. Would AP, TEC or Televue want to drain their savings to cover this cost? Doubt it. ES did make a bid, but their bid was rejected - ES would basically need to come up with a "better deal".

We were on a roll with the CN group bid though. It would be fun to pull that off.

And believe me, if I had the funds right now I would just buy Meade myself and call it a day. I actually think I could get a team to pull this off - in 2-3 years, and maybe 1 year with my contacts and a bit of sales, but not 3 months.

Like I said before, I would move Meade back to a private company. I would keep the Mexico operations, fix up several things, and likely move the headquarters to New Mexico (I actually canceled a project we had in California. The state is way too expensive to work from). And I would work with some reliable subcontractors both here and abroad. I would also include Meade and my subcontractors in the U.S. into several government and non-government contracts. Also a friendly partnership with Meade of Europe and others. Lots of ideas to make it work. But all too late.

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: pfile]
      #5980601 - 07/19/13 10:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The eyepiece/diagonal combo is, indeed a smoking deal. I used that eyepiece exclusively when I was doing outreach with the C14. Cost quite a bit more than that at the time, and didn't come with a diagonal.

I also jumped at the 24 mm & diagonal eyepiece...it's now one of my favorites for my LX-200.

sheesh, i hope they have enough to fulfill all the orders (didn't the email say "6 left?").

i jumped on this too since... i've never looked through my AT10RC. always just doing imaging

rob

The 24mm/Diagonal Combo will disappear very fast, if they are not gone already. This is a very good package at an unbeatable price. Last time around I know they sold several of these packages.

BTW - even though Meade's own inventory is getting depleted I have found several dealers with items in stock.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5981078 - 07/20/13 09:40 AM

Quote:

Lee

Synta's headquarters is not in Taiwan. They are located in Jiangsu not far from Shanghai.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: rmollise]
      #5981313 - 07/20/13 12:06 PM

Well, it sure isn't easy to figure out what Synta is up to from their website. According to it, their only brands are SkyWatcher and Acuter:

http://synta.en.gongchang.com/about

-Rich

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5981328 - 07/20/13 12:12 PM

The CN bid would take more time than this had, and since we basically didn't need a loss to protect other income, the deal would be flawed.

With that said, assembling a new company makes more sense for the needs of the people here. But there, it might as well be not for profit- if it covered its own expenses and delivered things we wanted, that would be pretty cool. It looks like making a lot of money in this field isn't in the cards, though you can obviously put yourself through hades trying.

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

Yet, apparently not.

-Rich

Rich,

Part of the problem is any super dealer who might want to purchase Meade (or anyone for that matter) would realistically need to come up with funds for the buyout, transition costs, debts and sufficient funds to stabilize the ship in the correct direction. As I said long ago here, this would take in excess of $10 million. I don't see a dealer having this kind of scratch laying around. Would AP, TEC or Televue want to drain their savings to cover this cost? Doubt it. ES did make a bid, but their bid was rejected - ES would basically need to come up with a "better deal".

We were on a roll with the CN group bid though. It would be fun to pull that off.

And believe me, if I had the funds right now I would just buy Meade myself and call it a day. I actually think I could get a team to pull this off - in 2-3 years, and maybe 1 year with my contacts and a bit of sales, but not 3 months.

Like I said before, I would move Meade back to a private company. I would keep the Mexico operations, fix up several things, and likely move the headquarters to New Mexico (I actually canceled a project we had in California. The state is way too expensive to work from). And I would work with some reliable subcontractors both here and abroad. I would also include Meade and my subcontractors in the U.S. into several government and non-government contracts. Also a friendly partnership with Meade of Europe and others. Lots of ideas to make it work. But all too late.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5981503 - 07/20/13 02:10 PM

Quote:

Well, it sure isn't easy to figure out what Synta is up to from their website. According to it, their only brands are SkyWatcher and Acuter:

http://synta.en.gongchang.com/about

-Rich

AFAIK, those are their only house brands. Celestron is a separate division, and Orion is a dealer for Synta gear branded Orion by Orion.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5981510 - 07/20/13 02:15 PM

Orion is independent, so I understand no mention there, or of Konus for that matter. The lack of a link to Celestron is interesting since it is obviously the best work they do.

-Rich

rmollise
Postmaster

#5981512 - 07/20/13 02:18 PM

Quote:

Orion is independent, so I understand no mention there, or of Konus for that matter. The lack of a link to Celestron is interesting since it is obviously the best work they do.

-Rich

They are doing well with Celestron, but with their "SkyWatcher" products as well...EQ-6...AZ-EQ-6...EQ-8.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5981522 - 07/20/13 02:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Lee

Synta's headquarters is not in Taiwan. They are located in Jiangsu not far from Shanghai.

Rod,
You're correct. Their office in Taiwan is merely an office for trade reasons.
Sorry for my mistake.

mark379
sage

Reged: 02/07/09

Loc: New Jersey
      #5981523 - 07/20/13 02:26 PM

Curious regarding Synta and Orion... I noticed Skywatcher USA does not stock the full Skywatcher line, I.E. The go to dobsonian... Only the Manual ones made by them in for the USA...I wonder if they have a deal with Orion that prevents them from directly competing in that manner, since the Orion scopes are made for them by Synta.
Thoughts?

Pages: << 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | >> (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63124

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics